Sponsored by:

Another reason why Removable Bras are superior to StoneGuard clear bras

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another reason why Removable Bras are superior to StoneGuard clear bras

I'd like to add another reason to the list why removable Bras are superior to the Clear plastic permanent bras for the 996.

This reason goes beyond just keeping the nose of the car free of rock chips, and goes to the very long term durability of the engine itself.

A removable bra includes a screen mesh covering for the radiator intakes. This mesh prevents the accumulation of road debris on the radiators which will eventually lead to the blocking of airflow through the radiators, and subsequent overheating of the engine, and in extreme cases leading to engine failure.

This was recently made very evident when I cleaned my neighbors 996 radiators and later when I cleaned the radiators on the Orient Express.

My neighbor has a late 99 996 which we cleaned about 2 years ago when the car had about 65K miles on it. This car has never had a covering on the front or a screen across the radiator intakes. As you can see from the photos, the radiators were blocked significantly, and the engine was running hot (above 185 degrees).

Fast forward to this week when I decided to clean the radiators on the Orient Express. The car is 6 years old and has 65K miles on it now. It has worn a full removable (Speed Lingerie) bra since the car was new.

The difference in the accumulated debris is remarkable:

At this rate of accumulation, the car could probably travel 200K miles before it would require a serious cleaning.

So I continue to recommend a removable bra for the 996. A good bra blends into the car very nicely, and provides superior protection against road debris not only for the body of the car but for the cooling system as well.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know.. the removable ones look funny IMO.

They remind me of when I was growing up and I used to visit my friend's house, and his parents had that crazy clear plastic covering over their furniture. This kept the underlying furniture looking nice - yet it looked ridiculous at the same time. What's the point in keeping something looking nice, if it's going to be covered up permanently anyway?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

My turbo bumper allow easy access to clean out any debris. So its clear bra for me.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:12 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I like to have both...
Old 07-30-2008, 05:14 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

4 problems I've experienced:

1. PIA to wash as they need to be removed and washed separately
2. They leave micro scratches on the paint/clear coat
3. the mesh screen would hinder airflow to my radiators...I need all the air flow I can get. I already have some screening in place to keep out the big stuff.
4. If you drive in the rain, they need to be removed to dry or they destroy the finish.

Must admit, they look fine on your car and there is no debate your car is kept quite exquisitely.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

1. PIA to wash as they need to be removed and washed separately
Yes, a removable bra does need to be removed when you wash the car, but in 6 years, I have never had to wash my bra. I keep it coated with Rejex, and just wipe off the bugs with a wet rag.

Not necessarily. The paint under the bra is always in better shape then the rest of the car when it comes to micro-scratches. The inside of the bra is covered in a very soft felt which does not scratch. Further the bra fits snugly around the edges so dirt does not find its way under it.

3. the mesh screen would hinder airflow to my radiators...I need all the air flow I can get. I already have some screening in place to keep out the big stuff.
Huh? It is not the big stuff that clogs the radiators. The mesh screen is transparent to the airflow.

4. If you drive in the rain, they need to be removed to dry or they destroy the finish.
Absolutely true. The Achilles heal of a removable bra is that if you drive your car often and in inclement weather, then a removable bra is not for you. They work best for cars that are not driven in areas where it snows or rains often.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Add a 3rd radiator...problem solved.

Also, cooling on 99's is a problem anyhow (I used to own one). That was one of the issues they fixed with the 02- facelift.

OR, you're car is very nice, but the bra is fugly.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Not necessarily. The paint under the bra is always in better shape then the rest of the car when it comes to micro-scratches. The inside of the bra is covered in a very soft felt which does not scratch. Further the bra fits snugly around the edges so dirt does not find its way under it.
This is another problem, the rest of the paint is exposed to the elements and sun therefore the covered area looks discolored in relation

Huh? It is not the big stuff that clogs the radiators. The mesh screen is transparent to the airflow.
Excuse me...have you heard of physics....if there is a mesh, it WILL effect airflow, it will reduce the air flow by the % of solid area to the % of open area plus it may change the air flow over the car as air...air will follow the path of least resistance. This is not an issue unless you need that air to maintain aerodynamics and cooling as designed by the manufacturer

link 1

and even speed lingerie is only rated to 150mph
Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Good hypothetical arguments, but real world experience has shown that

1. Paint fade is minimal to non-existent on the 996. On my 6 year old Speed Lingerie equipped car, it would be very difficult to determine any discoloration. In fact the 996 paint is pretty good. I don't know of any car, even a solid dark color car that I have seen that has paint discoloration from age.

2. And you are excused. Aside from your theoretical reference, which example would you think has the greater detrimental effect on airflow and cooling in the radiators:

This:

unmeshed intake

or this
meshed intake

And lastly while I always recommend that everyone drive the speed limit at all times..., I have personally driven a Speed Lingerie equipped car in excess of 172 mph for a significant distance without any problems.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Thegman
Banned

I have a Speed Lingerie color matched bra Slate Gray). It goes on and off easily, looks great on the car! And no wax lines next to the clear bra or yellowing or any of that stuff. They are not cheap but they are the best!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

And lastly while I always recommend that everyone drive the speed limit at all times..., I have personally driven a Speed Lingerie equipped car in excess of 172 mph for a significant distance without any problems.
172...I ain't even in 6th gear yet...sorry no argueing with someone that dose not understand physics...love your car though, slow as it may be....
Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wross996tt
172...I ain't even in 6th gear yet...

Neither was I.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:52 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Neither was I.
What kind of car was it?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:59 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
What kind of car was it?
It must have been his other Porsche
Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

great shot orient.... love that ride of yours....

Quick Reply: Another reason why Removable Bras are superior to StoneGuard clear bras