Sponsored by:

Optimal tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimal tire pressure

I was wondering whether different types of driving require different tire pressure ie. highway vs. city vs. track? How about in snowy conditions?

What is the recommended pressure for front & back tires?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

It the optimal pressures are stated in the manual depending on your car and tire size. The only place to deviate is at the track. At the track if left at the recommended pressures the tires go way beyond the highest pressure they would even see on the road, sometimes even higher then the max rating of the tire. I think most people run around 38 hot or there about at the track.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:08 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

If you do a search you will see this has been asked 100's of times...

Here we go again.
36F
40R
cold

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 07-16-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I run 36 / 44 psi.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I prefer 35F 38R (cold) for street. Track pressure depends on the particular track, ambient temperature and how hard I'm driving, but in general is much lower than street.

Out of necessity, track pressures are usually measured hot, so direct comparison to street (cold) pressures is not possible.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:30 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For a 4S the manual recommends 36/44, but I usually overfill by a pound or 2.

ps...where are the pics!!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 AM
dustinr
Instructor

Running N1 Michelin Pilot Sport Rib's on a 996 Turbo X50 and I have a Longacre Pyrometer that I use religously. I too thought people were crazy when I read how low they were running their tire pressures. But after doing my own testing, they are right.
I'm still trying to find the correct pressures; I'm close and getting closer but for even spirited driving the recommended pressures are too high. It's been around 91 deg. here lately and I've gone as low as 31psi in the front and 39psi in the back and my center tire temps are still higher than the avg. of the outside and inside temps...meaning? Pressure still too high. I'm getting closer... real close at the rear. Next I'm dropping down to 30F and 37R and I think the rear will be correct but the front will probably have to come down even lower... I've even gone so far as to e-mail Porsche (I used to work for Porsche Cars North America) and ask why they recommend such high pressures; hopefully I'll get a response.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
For a 4S the manual recommends 36/44, but I usually overfill by a pound or 2.

ps...where are the pics!!
You overfill?! Wow, the recommended pressures ALWAYS feel overfilled to me as is.
The following users liked this post:
Antimatter (06-02-2024)
Old 08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
TTJunkie

Default A little more explanation

Dustinr provides a lot of detail that might not make a lot of sense...

Rather than fill tires to a specific pressure, temperature measurements can be made to determine if a tire is overfilled or underfilled for a specific time of day under a specific driving load.
This (infra-red) temperature guage costs about $50 and can be used at any time. Just point and click to get the tire temperatures at the inside edge, the center, and the outside edge.
If the center of the tire is colder than the edges, you need more pressure.
If the center of the tire is hotter than the edges, you need less pressure.
If one edge is hotter than the other, you either need an alignment or you've purposely adjusted your alignment for a specific response (racing).

Also:
Before you try this at home, get some chalk, draw lines across your path and run over the chalk lines. Then check your tires to make sure you're getting full contact across all four tires.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

just follow the manual for regular driving... 36F 44R if you track or do AutoX things will change a little bit...
Old 08-07-2008, 12:23 AM
cdaniels
Racer

That's what the owners manuel states for 18" wheels....

Originally Posted by discoganya
I run 36 / 44 psi.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivarama
I was wondering whether different types of driving require different tire pressure ie. highway vs. city vs. track? How about in snowy conditions?

What is the recommended pressure for front & back tires?

Thanks
The answer is yes. Optimal pressure varies greatly depending on what tires you have and what you are optimizing for. Gas milage? Tire wear? Performance? Ride? Rim damage? Etc. There is no simple "right" answer.

And, the cold pressure is of little value. What you are really concerned about is operating pressure. Obviously operating pressure varies greatly depending on how you are driving, where you are driving, temp, etc.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimB
The answer is yes. Optimal pressure varies greatly depending on what tires you have and what you are optimizing for. Gas milage? Tire wear? Performance? Ride? Rim damage? Etc. There is no simple "right" answer.

And, the cold pressure is of little value. What you are really concerned about is operating pressure. Obviously operating pressure varies greatly depending on how you are driving, where you are driving, temp, etc.
+1. It's all relative.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 AM
dustinr
Instructor

Here's Porsche's lame response to my question as to why they reccomend such high pressures:

Hello Mr. Reed,

It's important to remember that your vehicle's recommended tire pressure is its cold tire inflation pressure. It should be checked in the morning before you drive more than a few miles, or before rising ambient temperatures or the sun's radiant heat affects it.

The performance that tire manufacturers build in, low tire pressures can take away.

Adjust your tire pressures as indicated on the vehicle tire placard or in the owner's manual. Check your inflation pressures at least once a month and before highway trips.

Maintaining correct tire inflation pressure helps optimize tire performance and fuel economy. Correct tire inflation pressure allows drivers to experience tire comfort, durability and performance designed to match the needs of their vehicles. Tire deflection (the tread and sidewall flexing where the tread comes into contact with the road) will remain as originally designed and excessive sidewall flexing and tread squirm will be avoided. Heat buildup will be managed and rolling resistance will be appropriate. Proper tire inflation pressure also stabilizes the tire's structure, blending the tire's responsiveness, traction and handling.

Kind regards,

The Porsche Contact Center
1-800-PORSCHE
(1-800-767-7243)

To paraphrase... "We have no clue, we only know what the book says"
Old 08-08-2008, 05:07 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Translation #2:
"We want no law suits of any tire pressure kind"

Quick Reply: Optimal tire pressure