Sponsored by:

Transmission popped out of 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:57 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission popped out of 2nd gear

I was going fairly slow, had just shifted to 2nd and it popped righ back out to neutral. I've never had that happen before. Should I be concerned, or just see if it happens again and watch for a pattern to develop?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:02 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My rule of thumb - if it happens only once, don't worry about it. It it happens again, you've got a problem.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the transmission at running temp? I used to have that happen when the car had just started up. After the transmission was at running temp, no more problems. I changed my transmission fluid and it's never happened since.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
Was the transmission at running temp? I used to have that happen when the car had just started up. After the transmission was at running temp, no more problems. I changed my transmission fluid and it's never happened since.
Same here. If it's not happening persistently you don't have a problem.

- more likely you were too fast off the clutch when you were still engaging the gear... ask me how I know that one!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Irksome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this problem at times also. Definitely more pronounced when the car hasn't yet warmed up fully, but I have had it occur even at full operating temp.

The 996TT has this problem a bunch, that crowd talks about it like we talk about RMS failures.

It is common enough that there are rebuild kits available (aftermarket) for the transmission now.

My car clearly has issues with 2nd gear, but I've learned to be more gentle with it and have not had it pop out of gear for almost a year. Oddly enough, the advice that 'solved' it for me was simple: use 3 fingers to shift. This forces you to pay more attention to what the gearbox is telling you, and I've found that I can tell immediately when the shift did not work correctly. When that happens, I simply pull it into neutral and try again, rather than forcing it and having the resultant pop-out.

Since it cannot be reliably reproduced, I'm just waiting for it to get worse before having it fixed. I have a warranty, so when it finally happens frequently enough to show a tech, I'll get it fixed. In the meantime, I deal with 2-3 bad shifts per week.

I've NEVER noticed this problem because I was too fast off the clutch. It always happens immediately after a shift that felt odd, and almost always when I'm not pushing the car.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I may have been too fast off the clutch now that I think about it. Irksome, I did a search on Renntech about this. You may want to also.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:23 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Once I changed my transmission fluid, it's never happened since. I replaced with Red Line 75/90. I don't know if the brand had anything to do with it, though. I had 80,000 miles on the transmission, so it was due a change.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by deckman
I may have been too fast off the clutch now that I think about it. Irksome, I did a search on Renntech about this. You may want to also.
While I won't swear I've never shifted too fast, that is definitely not the source of the recurring problem. In almost all cases, I detect the problem long before I release the clutch. When it happens, I can feel the gear either not going all the way in or feeling 'crunchy' as it goes in. In most cases, pulling it back to neutral and back into 2nd fixes it. I know from experience that if I ignore these symptoms and continue (ie, release the clutch), the car will pop out of 2nd gear about 25% of the time.

Oddly enough, when I AM quick-shifting I never have problems. At least, I haven't yet. I only quick-shift when the car is warm (and the problem occurs most often when it is cold), and rarely do I do so outside of autocrossing.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:40 PM
exophthalmos
Advanced

I do have the same experience as Irksome's. I also found out you need to rev match the speed with your 2nd gear, if that makes sense to you. At a higher speed while downshifting to 2nd gear will likely to give you a pop out!
Old 07-12-2008, 03:18 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

I had the same type of issue with my 98 VW GTI. While I know the cars are completely different, a small adjustment to the linkage and the issue went away
Old 07-13-2008, 02:43 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard many 996 owners speak of an issue with 2nd, and that dealerships are aware of a gearbox wear issue that causes this on some cars.

I won't say it's common, or a feature of the 996, because last time I did, I got hammered for dissing the car...

And it's always 2nd gear - FWIW
Old 07-13-2008, 09:08 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this issue in the past, and it def. seems to be more common with TT's. It is difficult to reproduce, but when mine does it, which is not often...I am coasting in 2nd gear...usually down hill, even a slight incline when it slips out. Zero issues with regular shifting, so it doesn't bug me too much.

J
Old 07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

All of the 996 transaxles have this problem sooner or later, we fix it all the time.

Feel free to contact me for more information on this, I know that I have posted several explainations about why this happens already, but here is the real rule of thumb on this issue, if it happens once, it is only going get worse as time goes on.

My recommendation, is that you catch this issue as soon as possible. It will only get more expensive to fix it in the long run if you do not. Just my 02 cents.

For those who do not know, we specialize in transaxle rebuilds, and the 996 is a very difficult gearbox, so be careful who you let work on it.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
Old 07-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by Erik @ Carquip
All of the 996 transaxles have this problem sooner or later, we fix it all the time.

Feel free to contact me for more information on this, I know that I have posted several explainations about why this happens already, but here is the real rule of thumb on this issue, if it happens once, it is only going get worse as time goes on.

My recommendation, is that you catch this issue as soon as possible. It will only get more expensive to fix it in the long run if you do not. Just my 02 cents.

For those who do not know, we specialize in transaxle rebuilds, and the 996 is a very difficult gearbox, so be careful who you let work on it.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work

Can you work with extended warranty companies? What do you do to diagnose and confirm that there is a problem? I've been waiting for it to get worse just so I can get the dealer to back me up when we go to the extended warranty to get it covered...
Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

I hate to be the bearer of really bad news for you, but your extended warranty company is probably not going to cover this. I have seen this a time or two, and it has never worked out for the car owner. Sorry to have to tell you this. The dealership is probably not going to be of much help to you here either, as I know they have not allow this as a warranty claim by Porsche.

I would be happy to give it a try, but ultimately, I am not too sure that this is going to fly with them.

Hope that this helps.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2

Quick Reply: Transmission popped out of 2nd gear