Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Code Reader Erase Failure - Anyone else have this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:18 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Code Reader Erase Failure - Anyone else have this issue?

I have a CAT that seems to be having issues (or maybe the O2 sensor). It trips a CEL once in a while - maybe once a month or two or three. Anyway, after a few trips, it resets and the CEL goes off - until the next time.

So I decided to get a code reader to check the code when it happened, so I don't have to run to the dealer every time. If it's the same code as always, I want to reset it to be sure I'm not missing something else causing a CEL. Neurotic, but so what. The car will be in the shop to fix the offending part soon enough.

I got a Cen-Tech 94217 Code Reader at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94217). This appears to be a rebadged Autel Geniscan GS400 (http://www.auteltech.com/gs400.htm). Everything is the same, right down to the manual.

Now the kicker, it accesses the car, reads the codes and displays them. I had a P0420 code. BUT, when I try to erase the code, I get an "Erase Failure!" message. I'm guessing that this is the reader, and not a Porsche specific issue.

Any thoughts? I'm going to redo the scan an clear tomorrow, but looks like I'm gonna return this one and switch to another manufacturer. Maybe Actron. Or just pony up for a Durametric.

Please let me know if you've had any issues erasing codes, and in particular if your scanner clears P0420 without issue.

-td
MY00 C2 Coupe
Appears to be DME 7.2
Old 06-20-2008, 11:23 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Dont you have to fix the problem first before you can reset it?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Cleared various DTCs that my '02 Boxster has generated...

Originally Posted by himself
I have a CAT that seems to be having issues (or maybe the O2 sensor). It trips a CEL once in a while - maybe once a month or two or three. Anyway, after a few trips, it resets and the CEL goes off - until the next time.

So I decided to get a code reader to check the code when it happened, so I don't have to run to the dealer every time. If it's the same code as always, I want to reset it to be sure I'm not missing something else causing a CEL. Neurotic, but so what. The car will be in the shop to fix the offending part soon enough.

I got a Cen-Tech 94217 Code Reader at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94217). This appears to be a rebadged Autel Geniscan GS400 (http://www.auteltech.com/gs400.htm). Everything is the same, right down to the manual.

Now the kicker, it accesses the car, reads the codes and displays them. I had a P0420 code. BUT, when I try to erase the code, I get an "Erase Failure!" message. I'm guessing that this is the reader, and not a Porsche specific issue.

Any thoughts? I'm going to redo the scan an clear tomorrow, but looks like I'm gonna return this one and switch to another manufacturer. Maybe Actron. Or just pony up for a Durametric.

Please let me know if you've had any issues erasing codes, and in particular if your scanner clears P0420 without issue.

-td
MY00 C2 Coupe
Appears to be DME 7.2
and never encountered any error.

I use an Actron model, the model number escapes me.

When I go to clear a code my Actron puts up a caution about shutting engine off but turning key back on before pressing button to clear the codes.

I've never bothered to do this and have never had any problems clearing DTC (error codes -- including 0430, 1117, 1128, 1130, 0156 and several more) with engine running.

But maybe your car's different?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:39 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not had this issue either - have always been able to erase codes and reset the CEL - I have the same reader as you from HF

You sure the ignition switch is in the right place to allow OBDII access?

Last edited by cdodkin; 06-21-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:44 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The can is not running when you you this ? Just ignition is on to access OBD II.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, sounds like you should just try a Veterinarian.

The only time I've had problems with my reader (which is just the basic $80 autozone version) is if I had the key turned to the incorrect position.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:24 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Not had this issue either - have always been able to erase codes and reset the CEL - I have the same reader as you from HF

You sure the ignition switch is in the right place to allow OBDII access?
Originally Posted by C4CRNA
The can is not running when you you this ? Just ignition is on to access OBD II.
As I mentioned in the original post, I can access the car and get the fault code P0420 from the reader. In addition, I can see freeze frame data for the fault. The car is not running, but it appears that the two clearly communicate.

The only issue is that the reader gives an erase failure message when I try to reset the CEL light.

Sorry it wasn't clear that the machine is actually accessing the car and retrieving data.

-td
Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by himself
As I mentioned in the original post, I can access the car and get the fault code P0420 from the reader. In addition, I can see freeze frame data for the fault. The car is not running, but it appears that the two clearly communicate.

The only issue is that the reader gives an erase failure message when I try to reset the CEL light.

Sorry it wasn't clear that the machine is actually accessing the car and retrieving data.

-td
clear the code from the reader and start again - I loaned my reader to someone with my codes still in it, and he called me up to say that his car had exactly the same fault codes.

Turned out that the reader had the old ones stored, and had not accessed his car at all!

Worth checking...
Old 07-03-2023, 01:15 AM
ny3ranger
3rd Gear

I had this happen if I connect the scanner after turning on the car or putting the car into ACC. Plug in the scanner first. Then move the key to the ACC, read the code and clear it. See if that works.
Old 07-03-2023, 02:03 AM
Norocehcap
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

15 year old thread lol
Old 07-03-2023, 04:37 AM
ny3ranger
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Norocehcap
15 year old thread lol
It wont help the original poster. But someone helped me with that info 7 hours ago.
The following users liked this post:
Norocehcap (12-27-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 09:05 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

OMG....LOL...

Quick Reply: Code Reader Erase Failure - Anyone else have this issue?