996 Performance upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
I imagine LSD would be nice to have driving in the snow.
I drive my 996 all winter long and it works well without it. The PSM system incorporates ABD at low speeds which acts like an electronic LSD for low speed slip.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Even at the track their is disagreement if it is a real benefit in our cars. I have never missed it in my Boxster at the track and JimB (who knows a ton about tracking 996 C2's) said he didn't need it in his 996 C2 X51 racecar.

With the rear engine configuration these cars don't have much problem putting 300+ hp to the wheels. GT2 power......that's probably a different story.

To clarify Ray, I think there are a couple of tough braking zones like T5 at Road America, T10 at Road Atlanta where the LSD really helps settle the backend. T 7/T8 at Sebring is the only place I really had problems with wheel spin before I added an LSD. Its a second gear, very rough corner. I would never buy one for a street car. The 996's great suspension keeps the car hooked up most of the time.

If I was building another 996 I would focus on reducing weight first, tweaking the suspension second and then redoing the gearing.

Ray, I'm not sure I ever thanked you for coming down to talk to me after my shunt at Montreal. It was great having friendly faces around.
Jim
Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
To clarify Ray, I think there are a couple of tough braking zones like T5 at Road America, T10 at Road Atlanta where the LSD really helps settle the backend. T 7/T8 at Sebring is the only place I really had problems with wheel spin before I added an LSD. Its a second gear, very rough corner. I would never buy one for a street car. The 996's great suspension keeps the car hooked up most of the time.

If I was building another 996 I would focus on reducing weight first, tweaking the suspension second and then redoing the gearing.

Ray, I'm not sure I ever thanked you for coming down to talk to me after my shunt at Montreal. It was great having friendly faces around.
Jim
No problem Jim. I was very sorry to see it happen. I hope the repairs are going well.

When you added the LSD to your old 996 racecar did it increase understeer?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
No problem Jim. I was very sorry to see it happen. I hope the repairs are going well.

When you added the LSD to your old 996 racecar did it increase understeer?
The repairs are going to take awhile but I bought a 944T track car last winter so I have something to play with. We're headed for the track tonight.

Depending on how the LSD is set up it will increase understeer somewhat. I had a lot of ***** on that car so I could pretty much set it up the way I wanted. I like to race with some understeer. For me it's faster.

Thanks for the pictures!
Jim
Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

Clear side markers. Adds an easy 30 bhp.

Quick Reply: 996 Performance upgrade thread