Sponsored by:

PerformanceBOX and DriftBox GPS Data Aquisition Systems Available at VR

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
rda
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Box

I purchased a Performance Box from Vivid Racing and had a chance to use it on the track last week:

Below is an example of a lap from Calabogie Motorsports. My thoughts on the device are:

1) Does a very good job of lap timing. (I haven't used the other major functions)
2) Easy and quick to set up.
3) Easy to use at the track.
4) Device file management capabilities are rudimentary at best; basically just records one big file of data with no apparent way for user to separate runs, label runs, etc. throughout the track day.
5) PC software is pretty basic, if not somewhat cryptic, from a user interface perspective.
6) Lacking good lap analysis / virtual lap capability; there is a bug in the max velocity per split in the software (Myself, and others as it turns out, have input bug fix/feature/functionality requests to Racelogic).

All in, it acceptably performed the function I was looking for (plug & play GPS lap timing).

The bad news is, quoting from Mike Broadbent, the Racelogic Sales Manager, (from performance box user forum) from July 1, 2008:

"I'm going to be completely honest here: DriftBox and PerformanceTools won't get another major update for some time, and neither will the firmware. Our priority is now the VideoVBOX which we want to release late summer, and additionally there will be a major rewrite of VBOXTools first, in a different programming language. All this is not going to happen overnight, and until it's completed we can't realistically dedicate any more resources to the performance meters. At some point next year I imagine our attention will turn back to these products to see what enhancements are possible."

This is a remarkable admission of Performance Box customer ambivalence and will have to be a caveat in any recommendation to purchase Racelogic products.
Attached Images   
Old 07-17-2008, 04:06 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

awesome! glad to see it worked well.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:07 PM
itacud
Intermediate

I've been using a Driftbox for some months now, so I can add a little bit more info about it.

The Performancebox & Driftbox are similar to the Traqmate and DL1 systems, for those who are familiar with them - though the P/Dbox are entirely self contained, and include a small display. Unlike those, however, enhancing the Driftbox to accept inputs from sensors, triggers, OBDII port, etc... is supported only via a very expensive firmware upgrade, followed by a very expensive input module purchase. (It's prohibitive for most, but has been quite popular with car magazines.) The accuracy of the Driftbox is comparable only to Racelogic's high end (10k,20k, etc) vehicle dynamics measurement systems - used by car magazines, and many high end tire and car manufacturers - including Michelin and Porsche. =) We're getting a small slice of that technology, in these little boxes.

Regarding some of the other comments made... It's actually very easy to split data logged into different files. Though an input button isn't used for this one of two things works:
a) push the SD Card to eject/re-insert it (don't actually have to remove it - just push twice.)
b) unplug, replug the power chord.
A new file is instanty created. As warm startups are virutally instant, almost no time is required to reacquire sattelites and start recording.

I do this between each track session, to better organize data throughout the day/weekend, and to prevent gps carrier signal shifts from ionosphere changes over larger periods of time, to show up as shifts in my logged data. Keeping the track sessions seperate makes lap to lap comparisons of track position *very* accurate.

The laps within a session can be automatically broken into laps, and splits, once the points are set in software - if not done on track while driving. (For AutoX, the start and finish can be distinct!) Individual laps can be graphed and compared against each other amongst many different channels. It's easy to compare laps from different files or SDcards, as well, so you can compare your lap against an instructor's lap, for example.

Major firmware and software releases for Driftbox and DriftboxTools were released last month, addressing several features requested. Details are here:
http://www.driftbox.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=398
http://www.driftbox.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=397
It's too bad that Racelogic will be shifting focus for a while, but support has been reasonably good thus far.

So far, the Driftbox has been invaluable for helping me achieve (my) best lap times in PCA Time Trialing. I can analyze exactly which parts of the track hold potential for me to gain time, by trying different things and comparing outcomes. Individual laps can be easily singled out and compared, and sections can be broken out with a great many data measurements to judge the benefits of different lines, breaking points, etc...

Quick Reply: PerformanceBOX and DriftBox GPS Data Aquisition Systems Available at VR