I found out where my coolant went.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:35 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Othomasjr

Very sorry to hear this, there has been a wave of **** lately

Nobody likes to get burned twice, I agree w/you here. The thing is you are not fully burned as BC stated, game not over yet.

Take a little time, that will not cost you further.
You have taken an unfortunate financial hit regardless of the direction you take, as you know, sad but true.

I would suggest you do some research, like calling the dealer asking for any assistance, quotes, etc...
Once you get all the numbers crunched make your move on if it is worth it to you or not

Very understandable which ever way you go, tough call

GL to you
Old 04-25-2008, 11:39 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Thank you. I really appreciate your kind thoughts and words.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:46 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Well, surprisingly, I put some on my fingers and it did not feel sticky.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Had you ever checked the oil level since you bought the car before this time? I'm sorry, but everyone is jumping straight to the new engine conclusion and I'm not convinced. You may have a situation that your oil was over filled. There can be lot's of reasons why your water level is low other than catastrophic failure.

Get the car towed to the dealer in the morning and have them tell you what it is.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Yes, I've checked it several times since it's been changed. It was always right on the button on the dipstick, even though the gauge on the speedo sometimes said it was a touch low. Now, it is MUCH higher than it ever has been.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 PM
wxseed
Instructor

Do what Deckman said

"I've been low on coolant before, in fact I just topped it off today. In addition, a couple months ago I panicked when I started the car and a big puff of white smoke came out. I open the oil fill cap and found what you found: yellow shmegma. I thought the worst but people here suggested it was water vapor mixing in with the oil caused by not letting the engine come up to full speed on short trips. It's ususally burned off. "

it is a terrible photo but your dipstick oil looks okay, I think you are over reacting, at least take it to a shop and get a proper diagnosis,
Old 04-25-2008, 11:52 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Also, it almost drips off the dipstick before I can remove it from the engine compartment to wipe it clean.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 PM
othomasjr
Racer

I just checked and the gauge on the speedo now says the oil is completely full.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:04 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

One way to check is to drain your oil and drop the oil pan... if its not like your fill tube... then you might be fine.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:08 AM
othomasjr
Racer

How about putting some coolant in it and driving the hell out of it??
Not really, but that's what I feel like doing.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:42 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by othomasjr
It was changed in the last several hundred miles. It also looks like someone added several quarts of oil to the car. The oil level comes all the way up to the very top of the uppermost little red piece on the dipstick. I think the motor's blown.

No offense intended here, but do you have enough information (and experience) to accurately conclude that the engine is blown. I'm hearing that the oil level seems high but you're not sure if the oil has coolant in it.

If you're not sure the engine is blown, how can you make decisions about selling the car? If it isn't blown, and you sell the car thinking it is, aren't you make a huge mistake?

Don't you think at least an inspection (and diagnosis) by a mechanic is called for?
Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by othomasjr
From what I've seen, PPI's don't really mean that much (unless there are already tell-tale signs of engine failure, which mine didn't have) as no one can predict when these engines will let go.
I tend to agree. A PPI will catch existing problems; however, it is not a predictive process.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:40 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
No offense intended here, but do you have enough information (and experience) to accurately conclude that the engine is blown. I'm hearing that the oil level seems high but you're not sure if the oil has coolant in it.

If you're not sure the engine is blown, how can you make decisions about selling the car? If it isn't blown, and you sell the car thinking it is, aren't you make a huge mistake?

Don't you think at least an inspection (and diagnosis) by a mechanic is called for?

This is a good point. The hit you would take on selling the car without an engine would certainly justify having the car inspected.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Would it make sense to have your oil analized to verify that it contains coolant, before you conclude engine failure? Lots of helpful advice on this board. None of us want another engine failure post since we all share Porsche ownership. Hope it turns out to be something else. GL.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 AM
othomasjr
Racer

I'm sorry. I think my writing wasn't giving a true idea of what I plan to do. I have a good dealer that will pick cars up and trailer them for service. I FULLY intend to have it checked out before I go off half-cocked and sell it. I just know the history with these motors and was venting a little I guess.
I will have it checked by my P dealer and then go from there.....probably will choose not to replace engine if that is indeed the culprit. Will just sell it instead.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: I found out where my coolant went.