Sponsored by:

Engine Clicking- Oil Starvation

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Clicking- Oil Starvation

On my 00 C2 (about 65k miles), I occasionally here a clicking sound that I am fairly certain is oil starvation. It seems to come from the right side of the engine more of often than the right side. I know that there can be some starvation issues with tracking the car however I have been getting this sound from just driving down the highway then parking on flat ground. I always have great oil pressure. The clicking eventually goes away. I cannot replicate the problem, it just occurs when it wants. Everything runs great. No problems with the car other than a slight RMS leak. Oil level is completely full. No CEL and durametric doesn't find any fault codes.

I feel fairly certain that it is oil starvation- the sound is exactely the same as previous experiences were I had a known starvation issue (non-996).

Does this sound normal? Do I need to do anything about this? I have been ignoring it for awhile because it really doesn't seem to be a problem. I figure that it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

When was the last time you changed the oil filter, it's not hard to spin on another.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oil starvation will eventually lead to bearing failure. If you starved the bearings for more than a few seconds, I am sure your engine would be toast. I think you are hearing a small header leak or exhaust leak somewhere else. Maybe even a weak lifter, I dont know, but not oil starvation.

Oil starvation stems from high G's where the oil moves away from the oil pump pickups, not level ground idling.

I am sure you are fine and can look elsewhere.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:03 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Oil starvation stems from high G's where the oil moves away from the oil pump pickups, not level ground idling.

I am sure you are fine and can look elsewhere.
+1, from what Ive read on PCA boards... oil starvation is also blown out of proportion and is a no issue on street tires.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:29 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some ticking is common on these engines, they are noisy at idle...a distinct ticking is almost always a stuck lifter...what oil & viscosity are you running? Running the car til the oil is hot (normal) then letting it sit can let a leaky lifter drain out.. If you rev it to say 6000, does the ticking stop and go away for a while, but return when the engines been off and cooled down? That would be classic lifter issue. What is your oil pressur edoing at different RPM's? How do you know it's "plenty of pressure"? You COULD try an oil flush then fresh 5w-40 Mobil 1 or Redline and see if it goes away, but an oil flush might make your RMS leak worse, and if it's not your RMS, but the IMS, then it may not be worth the trouble. Any decent P-car mechanic should be able to hear it and tell you what it is.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:03 PM
chily2008
Instructor

I last changed my oil about 5k ago and I am using Mobil 1 0w-40- simply because that was what was what the manual stated. It seems to occur after driving on the highway at about 70mph or so. If I let the car sit while idling, the sound will go away after about 5 minutes. The clicking speeds up when I rev the engine but it doesn't go away. Last two times that my car was at my indy, the clicking wasn't present.

I just went out and started the car. It was sitting for about 4 hours. The clicking is now present. It wasn't present when I came to work.

The oil pressure is about 3.8 cruising at 3200rpm's. Pressure is about 1.2 at idle.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-21-2008, 03:05 PM
alf964
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it is the piston lifter(s)
Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
chily2008
Instructor

I have been thinking about the situation and I feel pretty sure that it is a lifter problem. Thank you to everyone for the advice.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:38 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you're almost due for an oil change, I'd try it with 5W-40 and see if it goes away. While 0W-40 (which I also presently use), flows easier when cold and gets where it's needed, it will also drain out of a lifter easier as well when cold.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Since you're almost due for an oil change, I'd try it with 5W-40 and see if it goes away. While 0W-40 (which I also presently use), flows easier when cold and gets where it's needed, it will also drain out of a lifter easier as well when cold.

Blasphemy!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 PM
chily2008
Instructor

I have been looking around for Mobil 1 5w-40 and I am not able to find it. I looked on the mobil 1 website and all I can find is some 5w-40 turbo diesel oil. Are there any major chains that sell Mobil 1 5w-40?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just run a oil analysis by sending in a sample to Blackstone to test. They'll reconfirm for you if you have oiling issues.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hydraulic lifters work by getting "pumped up" with oil such that they occupy all the space between the cam and the rocker arm. If the lifter oil channel gets dirty the lifter does not pump up fully leaving a gap between the valvetrain and the cam resulting in a "ticking sound". Switching to heavier motor oil is not likely to help since thicker oil will be less able to flow through the dirty narrowed oil channel within the lifter.

Your choices are to either add something to the crankcase to clean the lifter or replace the lifter. I've done both in my iron V8 days and it's much easier to use a strong additive. One product that I've used successfully in my old Mazda truck is

BG Quick Clean for Engines
http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html

Basically you put it in and run the engine for 15 minutes, drain, and then change the oil. I know a lot of this stuff looks like snake oil but I've used it with success before. The noise went away and didn't come back.

Good luck,

Tonger
Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a similar sound and my engine has similar gauge readings. I hear the sound from the passenger side after the car sits for a day or when I start it after its been sitting overnight. It does not occur regularly. It did not occur until recently. I am scheduled for my first oil change (approaching 15,000 miles) since buying the car 5,000 miles ago. I presumed it was a lifter issue; its what it sounds like to me. I have had this on other cars too (not Porsche) when its time for an oil change.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by Miller_arch
I have a similar sound and my engine has similar gauge readings. I hear the sound from the passenger side after the car sits for a day or when I start it after its been sitting overnight. It does not occur regularly. It did not occur until recently. I am scheduled for my first oil change (approaching 15,000 miles) since buying the car 5,000 miles ago. I presumed it was a lifter issue; its what it sounds like to me. I have had this on other cars too (not Porsche) when its time for an oil change.

Do you know how many oil changes your p-car has had prior to your ownership?

Quick Reply: Engine Clicking- Oil Starvation