Transmission Oil drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I found out the hard way on the 996 transmission it is volume specific, the synchros will not work properly if it is over filled.
I must have missed the TSB on that.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't believe there is any TSB on that, the factory spec. did mention specific volume to be used, so....

With the 993 the spec calls for something like 3.8 liter, filling it to the filler hole was about 4 quarts which never caused a problem in shifting in the 993 transmission.

I believe the 996 spec calls for 2.7 liter, and it is possible to pour in almost 4 quarts before it starts to come out of the filler hole depending on how level the car is when it is jacked up. So DIYers need to be volume specific when filling the 996 transmission, instead of just following the old school method of filling it until it comes out of the filler hole, which works fine on older 911s but not on the 996 tranny. There is a reason the spec calls for only 2.7 liter.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the 996 spec calls for 2.7 liter, and it is possible to pour in almost 4 quarts before it starts to come out of the filler hole depending on how level the car is when it is jacked up. So DIYers need to be volume specific when filling the 996 transmission, instead of just following the old school method of filling it until it comes out of the filler hole, which works fine on older 911s but not on the 996 tranny. There is a reason the spec calls for only 2.7 liter.
It's typical for Porsche to list a capacity, but then also to say to fill to the bottom of the hole with the car level. And this is the case with the 996 as well:
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I guess I must of not conveyed this clearly.

Assuming the car is perfectly leveled it will come out of the filler hole( which is difficult for DIYer without a lift at home, using jack stands) so in many cases most DIYers will put in more oil than the specs calls for if they follow the "coming out of the filler hoel method", which will cause the synchros not functioning properly resulting difficulty in shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. Just passing on some personal experience that's all.

Maybe this is related with some many people complaining about shifting issues????
Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Always fill the case up until it is level with the bottom of the fill hole which is evidenced by oil coming out. Before putting in the plug, lower the car to the ground and let any overfilll drain out. The bottom of the hole is the optimum level the lube should be at.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Last Car
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I must of not conveyed this clearly.

Assuming the car is perfectly leveled it will come out of the filler hole( which is difficult for DIYer without a lift at home, using jack stands) so in many cases most DIYers will put in more oil than the specs calls for if they follow the "coming out of the filler hoel method", which will cause the synchros not functioning properly resulting difficulty in shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. Just passing on some personal experience that's all.

Maybe this is related with some many people complaining about shifting issues????
Robin, I agree with you on this, that is why I put just 2.7 Liters in. I had, when just starting in the morning and below 40 degrees very, very hard to shift into second until the oil get 'warm', problem with my transmission.
I guess I'll really know when I drive/shift after first starting out.
In my case, it can't be any harder to shift into second, when transmission oil is cold, than before; unless this will hurt my gears................
I'll let ya'll know in a couple of day....Axel is till up on jack stands until maybe Friday or so!
C'ya,
Patrick
Old 04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Last Car
Advanced

Okay, I took Axel out for the first time, after the transmission re-fill yesterday. This time I shifted from first to second while the transmission was 'relatively' cool, as in, just starting out, and the shifting was very smooth. I even down shifted from third into second, then into first with no problems. So, at this point I'd say that the RedLine fluid is doing it's job. I'm also going to stick with the 2.7 liters instead of fill until it runs out of the fill hole (I have no way of telling how much more it would take, after the 2.7 liters, until the fluid started running out). If the folks at Porsche say to put 2.7 liters in I guess that will be okay, I guess time will tell,
C'ya,
Patrick
Old 04-18-2008, 03:20 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrick
One thing I noticed is I can't downshift into 1st while the car is moving at all until the gear oil warms up. Have you noticed that? Once it warms up, it shifts fine.
I'm going on 3 weeks now and have not once had the car jump out of 2nd cold.
I took 1999Porsche911 and Doug's method of filling to the hole. It took less than 3 quarts to do it that way.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Last Car
Advanced

Originally Posted by pat056
Patrick
One thing I noticed is I can't downshift into 1st while the car is moving at all until the gear oil warms up. Have you noticed that? Once it warms up, it shifts fine.
I took 1999Porsche911 and Doug's method of filling to the hole. It took less than 3 quarts to do it that way.
pat056,
I never had a problem of it "jumping out of 2nd"; just hard to get 'into' either first or second - when cold. It will be tomorrow before I get to take Axel out again but like I said.....yesterday he shifted 'great' right out of the garage.
You also wrote: "it took less than 3 quarts to do it that way", so it looks like my putting 2.7 liters should be okay.
Thanks for the reply,
C'ya,
Patrick
Old 04-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by pat056
Patrick
That was one of the same exact issue when I overfilled the gear oil, and I didn't over fill it by a lot, probably oly by 0.5 quart.

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil drain plug?