Sponsored by:

A thread dedication to MK1 aeros

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Four observations about "add-ons" are:

1. The large rear wings seriously detract from the original lines of the car to the point where they look like grotesque appendages or birth defects.

2. Desecrating the lines of the car with aero stuff is like taking a beautiful woman and "interfering" with her natural beauty by putting substantial tattoos on her slender, lithe, shapely body.....sigh. Or worse, putting ear gauges in her ears!

3. There's no way that I can look at these add-ons (and outrageous wheels) without the word "bling" coming to mind.

4. The last lowered car I had annoyed me by forcing me to drive more slowly over bumps and driveway/parking lot entrance grades. I like the look of a lowered car, but don't like how the probability of damaging the car impinges on my enjoyment of driving it.

These comments come from someone who values ideas like original, preservation, restoration, and heritage when it comes to Porsches. For those who like mods, there are legions of people who simply enjoy the purity of our car's original design and equipment. The Porsche platform fortunately gives all of us the opportunity to enjoy the cars in any configuration - stock or modded. Cie le vie!

Last edited by VGM911; 04-10-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Mikke996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cab!
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911

1. The large rear wings seriously detract from the original lines of the car to the point where they look like grotesque appendages or birth defects.

2. Desecrating the lines of the car with aero stuff is like taking a beautiful woman and "interfering" with her natural beauty by putting substantial tattoos on her slender, lithe, shapely body.....sigh. Or worse, putting ear gauges in her ears!

3. There's no way that I can look at these add-ons (and outrageous wheels) without the word "bling" coming to mind.

4. The last lowered car I had annoyed me by forcing me to drive more slowly over bumps and driveway/parking lot entrance grades. I like the look of a lowered car, but don't like how the probability of damaging the car impinges on my enjoyment of driving it.

These comments come from someone who values ideas like preservation, restoration, original, and heritage when it comes to Porsches. For those of us who like mods, there are many of us who like the pure originality of design and equipment. The Porsche platform fortunately gives us the opportunity to enjoy the cars in any configuration - stock or modded. Cie le vie!
I respect what you have to say and it's clear we disagree on multiple fronts.

1. The wing is designed by Porsche, the whole kit is designed by Porsche

2. I call it putting on make-up if we're going the whole typical, predictable comparing a car to a female body thing... though I don't see any similarities between a car and a woman's form (thank goodness).

3. Bling is relative. It's a total pop culture word from the 90's still alive and kicking to this day because it is exhaustively resurrected by people who have no idea wtf bling means. I never hear the word used more than by the older guys who dress like they just stepped out of Walmart neatly epitomizing the words - Middle America. As a newer Porsche owner (1 year now), I have absolutely no allegiance to the Porsche brand. I respect it and in a sense am a steward of the 911 through my car so long as I own it. The cars above are definitely visually beautiful and if that is bling, that's awesome. Bling on, bud. And any car is a platform for mods, ain't it?

4. I have no issues with this whatsoever even in hilly Seattle.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These comments come from someone who values ideas like preservation, restoration, original, and heritage when it comes to Porsches. For those of us who like mods, there are many of us who like the pure originality of design and equipment. The Porsche platform fortunately gives us the opportunity to enjoy the cars in any configuration - stock or modded. Cie le vie!

Uh...and who are you? WTF are you on? The original MkI 996 Aero was designed by the factory for the Super Cup series. The original design of the car, INCLUDES this aero. It is not "bling" as you say. It is true functional equipment.

In fact, at the 1st notch up on the rear wing...the spoiler produces an extra 25 to 50lbs or so of down force (more or less, I forget). To front nose of the aero package actually produces down force as well and keeps the car planted at higher speeds.

This not simply "bolt-on bling" Added aftermarket is bling.

And lastly - why ruin a thread with some good MOJO. WTF?!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's mine...complete with the mesh in the front which I know Ben hates!!!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by wlee69
Here's mine...complete with the mesh in the front which I know Ben hates!!!!!

Hate is a word I've removed from my vocabulary.

I dislike it so much because:

1) Your car would look so much better without it and it'd be so easy (no $$) to do

2) Your car has all the other goodies including nice **** wheels

3) Consider the rear strakes to balance it out front to back

3.5) See #1
Old 04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's mine. Never posted on RL before, I think.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikke996
My cab!
#1 stunna
Old 04-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by JR944
Here's mine. Never posted on RL before, I think.
This is like a Rennlist debutant party. I never expected so many to come out of the woodwork.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Mikke996
Intermediate

Trim
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I absolutely agree. The taco wings remind me of something you might see a teenager put on his Civic.

The aero kits looked "tacked-on" to me, and I suspect that this is because that's exactly what they are--extraneous parts the car doesn't need, especially the parts behind the rear wheels. I've always thought it just looked like plastic glued to the bottom of the fender.

I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by tooloud10
I absolutely agree. The taco wings remind me of something you might see a teenager put on his Civic.

The aero kits looked "tacked-on" to me, and I suspect that this is because that's exactly what they are--extraneous parts the car doesn't need, especially the parts behind the rear wheels. I've always thought it just looked like plastic glued to the bottom of the fender.

I couldn't agree more.
Please a pic of your non-teenager Civic car for comparison's sake.
The following users liked this post:
The Daddio (06-30-2021)
Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chads996
Uh...and who are you? WTF are you on? The original MkI 996 Aero was designed by the factory for the Super Cup series. The original design of the car, INCLUDES this aero. It is not "bling" as you say. It is true functional equipment.

In fact, at the 1st notch up on the rear wing...the spoiler produces an extra 25 to 50lbs or so of down force (more or less, I forget). To front nose of the aero package actually produces down force as well and keeps the car planted at higher speeds.

This not simply "bolt-on bling" Added aftermarket is bling.

And lastly - why ruin a thread with some good MOJO. WTF?!
Chad, why so acerbic? I mean, really.... "who are you?" and "WTF are you on?" seems like an overreaction to someone who simply has a different opinion than yours. Peace.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10

I couldn't agree more.

P.S. Not everything is about you.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:57 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chsu74

P.S. Not everything is about you.

I'm not sure what you mean in your response to tooloud10. What does it mean when you post an "attention *****" icon and "p.s. not everything is about you?"

Quick Reply: A thread dedication to MK1 aeros