996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1st time at the dealer - tips/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 PM
bitterazn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time at the dealer - tips/advice?

Hey everyone -

I'm going to the local p-car dealer today for the first time to look at this '02 C4S (http://chambers.porschedealer.com/pr...ntoryid=377970) as well as compare it to a '03 C4 Cab and a '06 Cayman S.

This will be my first car shopping experience, so was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to handle the salespeople, etc. The $54k asking price seems grossly off, but maybe I just don't realize how much haggle room there is (I know a rennlister just picked up a similar one for $48k and somebody's asking $45k for his).

I'm looking forward to actually sitting in a Porsche for the first time. I'm gonna be like a kid in the candy store, just gotta make sure I don't get overwhelmed and spend all my lunch money . . .
Old 03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're a nervous dude aren't you?

my ranking out of the three cars you listed in order of desireability:

C4S

C4 cab

Cayman S

The C4S has a thug quality the other cars just don't have.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the c4s also has PSE as an option and I think the better exhaust is a definite plus. BUt don't let dealer see you are excited. Play it cool...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:58 PM
bitterazn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi

C4S

C4 cab

Cayman S

Ben -

Hells yeah I'm nervous! I've been upsold from a $30k '99 C2 to a $50k '02 C4S in two weeks, and that's just from Rennlisters/6speeders. I can only imagine what'll happen if I walk into the dealership unprepared.

I've been looking at the C4S thread and have to admit it's sexy looking. It's definitely become the focus of my search. Besides the wider body, the rear bumper slats, and the horizontal reflector strip, any other aesthetic differences to compare w/ the C2 at the test drive today? I think the C4 is as wide as the C4S, so I'll have to ask if they have any narrow-body C2s in inventory. . .

Btw, love your silver C4S. Thing looks like it's poised for flight, even when it's parked.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

lol

Besides the wider body, totally diff front and rear bumpers, a huge reflector strip that differentiates it from pretty much every water-cooled 911 out there... what other things to look out for?

I believe the C4S comes with standard full leather (which is an absolute must-have if you decide to go for the narrowbody which INCLUDES the Carrera 4).

I really wouldn't upsell you above the 996 C4S. After the C4S, then make the huge jump to a 997 GT3 or something when you get bored.

Just have the edmunds.com pricing as a ballpark and go from there depending on the condition of the car and how much you like it in person. Good luck, man. Don't be nervous. This is supposed to be lots of fun. At least it was for me, but then I did the private buyer thing and flew down to SF so a real adventure that I won't ever forget.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 PM
AUPorsche
Advanced

bitterazn

be sure and do alot of web research before going into the dealer. I was about to make a huge mistake on the first P-car I looked at because I wasnt properly prepared. My buddy quickly took me to ebay just to prove how far off the mark the dealer was with the car I was initially looking at. I actually wound up buying my used 03 C2 from an exotic car dealer in Wilkes Barre, PA and probably saved at that time 5-7k off similar vehicles in the Boston area - something to again research and consider.

I'm in Hopkinton and work in Cambridge so hope to see you around after you make your decision! regardless, you won't regret it. I've had mine for 22 months and haven't looked back!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The 996 C4 is a narrowbody. She didn't get a big butt until she became a 997.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:32 PM
bitterazn
Advanced

C4S

C4 cab

Cayman S

lol

Besides the wider body, totally diff front and rear bumpers, a huge reflector strip that differentiates it from pretty much every water-cooled 911 out there... what other things to look out for?

I believe the C4S comes with standard full leather (which is an absolute must-have if you decide to go for the narrowbody which INCLUDES the Carrera 4).

I really wouldn't upsell you above the 996 C4S. After the C4S, then make the huge jump to a 997 GT3 or something when you get bored.

Just have the edmunds.com pricing as a ballpark and go from there depending on the condition of the car and how much you like it in person. Good luck, man. Don't be nervous. This is supposed to be lots of fun. At least it was for me, but then I did the private buyer thing and flew down to SF so a real adventure that I won't ever forget.
Will keep an eye out for the bumpers. Believe me, it's harder to figure out than you think for a novice, since everyone here has their cars so modded out it's tough to figure out what was stock . . .

Yup, on 996 C4. I had been confused, since I talked to the sales rep at the NY auto show on Saturday, and he said the C4 + targa were wide-body as well, but I guess that's 997 only.

Speaking of which, the 997 GT2 they had on display there looked absolutely sick. That being said, I'm not sure I wouldn't start getting seriously tempted by Ferrari in that price range when I "get tired" of whatever 996 I end up with!

Would love to do the private buyer thing, unfortunately I work 75 hrs a week so travel's tough to schedule. Maybe if things stop going bankrupt and the markets calm down . . .
Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Yea i just wouldn't ever do the gt2 because at that price range, there's much better looking, more fun out of italy.

don't they make a 997 Carrera 4 and a 4S? Which would mean the 997 Carrera4 is also a narrowbody. the 996 widebodies are wider than the 997 narrowbodies, but slightly "thinner" than the 997 wides.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:43 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

C4S all the way. I think you are referring to Uber's car @ 48K...that was a nice deal. There are plenty to be had. I bought mine over the phone out of Naples Fl. dealer with full CPO. I "haggled" a ton and stood firm. By the end of the day, it was mine.

If you haven't done so already, do a preowned search at www. porsche.com and search nationwide.

Last week, I was talking to my buddy about his friend wanting to grab a P-car in your area and told him to advise his buddy to research here on RL. Could you by any chance be Phil the dentist's buddy?

J
Old 03-24-2008, 02:54 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

As usual, I think Ben is high!! You could get a lower mileage 2001 or possibly a 2002 911Turbo for only around $5k more. The only differences esthetically is the Rear reflector, that makes the C4S look a little dated IMO and the Turbo intakes that make the TT look mean as **** IMO.

The turbo has full leather same bumper and everything else as the C4S has standard as well as the WAY better GT1 engine, hollow spoked wheels (50% lighter) and about 100 more HP and 150 lb-ft more Torque, not to mention the Turbo marque (if that sort of baddass legendary name means anyhting to ya)!!

911 Turbo is probably the best bargain right now of any car on the market for what you get, as well more modifiable than any car on the road. For Around $800 you can flash the computer and be up around 480BHP and 500lb-ft.

I've had both and HIGHLY recommend the Turbo over the C4S. To ME it's like moving from a Porsche to a Porsche SUPER CAR.

Raw Numbers:
TT: 420 BHP / 420 lb-ft
0-60 in 4.2 / Quarter Mile 12.6

C4S: 320 BHP / 276 lb-ft
0-60 5.1 / Quarter Mile 13.7

PS. A 2001 Turbo with 40k miles in excellent can be had for around $53k

PPS. If thug quality is what you're looking for, then buy a Cadillac Escalade. These aren't thug cars.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea i just wouldn't ever do the gt2 because at that price range, there's much better looking, more fun out of italy.

don't they make a 997 Carrera 4 and a 4S? Which would mean the 997 Carrera4 is also a narrowbody. the 996 widebodies are wider than the 997 narrowbodies, but slightly "thinner" than the 997 wides.
for the 997 all the 4wd models are on a wide platform
Old 03-24-2008, 03:00 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
As usual, I think Ben is high!! You can spend about $5k more and get a lower mileage 2001 or possibly the same year 911Turbo. The only differences esthetically is the Rear reflector, that looks dated IMO.

The turbo has full leather same bumper and everything else as the C4S has standard as well as the WAY better GT1 engine, hollow spoked wheels (50% lighter) and about 100 more HP and 150 more Torque.

911 Turbo is probably the best bargain right now of any car on the market for what you get, as well more modifiable than any car on the road. For Around $800 you can flash the computer and be up around 480BHP and 500lb-ft.

I've had both and HIGHLY recommend the Turbo over the C4S.

Raw Numbers:

I agree that at this point, the 996TT is probably more bang-for-the-buck than the C4S.

I'm not sure if the TT comes with "thug quality", though...I'm even less sure that it's something I'd want!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:19 PM
bitterazn
Advanced

Originally Posted by arr0gant
As usual, I think Ben is high!! You could get a lower mileage 2001 or possibly a 2002 911Turbo for only around $5k more. The only differences esthetically is the Rear reflector, that makes the C4S look a little dated IMO and the Turbo intakes that make the TT look mean as **** IMO.

The turbo has full leather same bumper and everything else as the C4S has standard as well as the WAY better GT1 engine, hollow spoked wheels (50% lighter) and about 100 more HP and 150 lb-ft more Torque, not to mention the Turbo marque (if that sort of baddass legendary name means anyhting to ya)!!

I've had both and HIGHLY recommend the Turbo over the C4S. To ME it's like moving from a Porsche to a Porsche SUPER CAR.

Raw Numbers:

PPS. If thug quality is what you're looking for, then buy a Cadillac Escalade. These aren't thug cars.
Hehe, I think the turbo may be more than I can handle. I do like the turbo intakes, but before this my only driving experience has been an automatic '94 Sentra. I'd either break a TT or it would break me.

Another issue is a bumper to bumper extended warranty, which I think may be nigh impossible on any '01 model, not to mention a turbo.

That being said, my friend's dad half-jokingly offered me his '01 TT w/ the x50 upgrade for $70k. Thing has 2k miles on it. Was seriously tempted to just immediately shake his hand, shout "DEAL" and run away w/ the keys . . .

Thanks for the advice though, will add the TT to the list of things I'll be looking into!

Last edited by bitterazn; 03-24-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
bitterazn
Advanced

Originally Posted by JBRipps
C4S all the way. I think you are referring to Uber's car @ 48K...that was a nice deal. There are plenty to be had. I bought mine over the phone out of Naples Fl. dealer with full CPO. I "haggled" a ton and stood firm. By the end of the day, it was mine.

If you haven't done so already, do a preowned search at www. porsche.com and search nationwide.

Last week, I was talking to my buddy about his friend wanting to grab a P-car in your area and told him to advise his buddy to research here on RL. Could you by any chance be Phil the dentist's buddy?

J
Yeah, uber seems to be seriously enjoying that car . . . Not a whole lot available nationwide on porsche.com, but Herb Chambers was definitely on the high end. Hard to say what the different options are worth, looking through the forums it looks like PSE is maybe worth $1-1.5k or so?

I unfortunately am not Phil's buddy, but will be keeping my eye out for Pcars in Boston. I don't think there are all that many, I swear to god this city is like 95% BMW 3series.

Quick Reply: 1st time at the dealer - tips/advice?