Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wife and I getting new cars, should 911 be one of them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Sound advice, I appreciate the civility... lol. The porsche will be a third car, gotta keep an SUV around. But I intend to daily drive it. Friend is stopping by with his 6 series today, I have NOT driven a 911 yet. I am hoping that one of them "grabs" me and thats it. The A5 did not, terribly cool inside, but pretty ordinary to drive. One of the endodontists I refer to has a C4S he is willing to sell, I'll hit him up for a test drive next week.
Ah. A little bit more color about you. Go for the 996 C4S. You'll love it. Here's a little secret. With snow tires, and so long as it is not deep snow, you can drive the C4S year-round
Old 03-23-2008, 04:11 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uberskier
I just bought an 02 C4S in Speed Yellow. My wife absolutely loves it. Friends love it. I love it.

(I'm very biased because I've has it for only 3 days).

My wife commented that on the ride home from KY to NY, every boy from the age of 6 to 400 years old opened their mouth and was staring at the car.

Eric
Isn't that awesome? Congrats. The important thing is your wife loves it... cause if she ain't happy, you ain't happy, right?
Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Isn't that awesome? Congrats. The important thing is your wife loves it... cause if she ain't happy, you ain't happy, right?
and people who deny that badge/exclusivity/prestige the "bling" factor of driving a widebody 911... isn't a large part of owning of these beasts... enjoys faking themselves out BIGTIME.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

because if she ain't happy, you ain't happy, right?
You've got that right!!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
and people who deny that badge/exclusivity/prestige the "bling" factor of driving a widebody 911... isn't a large part of owning of these beasts... enjoys faking themselves out BIGTIME.
Speak for yourself, Ben--many of us have deeper personalities than that. Nobody finds out I have a Porsche unless I tell them.

I bought my 996 because I wanted a sports car with a back seat--I also considered the RX-8, the STi, and the Evo. The Porsche won based on depreciation and not wanting to look perpetually 17 years old.

YMMV, but I already know it does.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 AM
DrScoles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove an 07 650 with 3k miles on it today. Nice car, not for me. I felt like I was in a cacoon. BORING. Won't go in to details, but the 6 is out. I've spent some time in the 997, hopefully the 996 C4S next week.

mike
Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Speak for yourself, Ben--many of us have deeper personalities than that. Nobody finds out I have a Porsche unless I tell them.

I bought my 996 because I wanted a sports car with a back seat--I also considered the RX-8, the STi, and the Evo. The Porsche won based on depreciation and not wanting to look perpetually 17 years old.

YMMV, but I already know it does.
yea y'all live in Iowa yee of "deep personality"

you say to speak for myself but then you go to prove my point. LOL nice work thx
Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the "drive an S6" nomination. Monster, very Q, and like 3 or 4 cars in one.

645 is very, very played out, at least on the coasts, is too heavy, underpowered and too soft to scratch a performance itch for long, and is nearing a freshening which will cause catastrophic depreciation (BMW resale beyond the 3ers is all fashion), but hey otherwise a smooth ride overall. I'd much rather an SL55 or at least an SL w/AMG kit, CPOs are falling like a stone with the new CLS-style lights coming on the new SLs. In fact I'd much rather a 335 convertible, much better looking IMHO than the aging 645, quicker, trick roof, easily chipped to 400bhp on account of the turbos.

S5 is too hot if you're looking for a deal today which I see you've acknowledged, nice car though.

997 maybe the right fit for you, it's much softer touch inside than 996, and will depreciate more slowly than your other options (except 996), so you may want to spend a little more, get the one you want. And if you want to save a few bucks, I seem to remember that 997 C4 non-"s" are also widebodies across the board, although someone else can confirm or deny this. Just make sure you drive it last, and step on it when you test it. Buy a CPO Tahoe for hauling **** and call it a day.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Mike,

After you drive the endodontists' C4S and you decide that the 911 is a strong possibility, see if he will let you drive it for 24 hours. THat way you can simulate the "daily drive" to see how it suits you. I got my 2004 C2 a little 3 years ago and it has been my daily driver, and I have put 41,000 + miles on it during that time.

My lease ends at the end of May and I am really going to miss the car. This is my first Porsche and if I had not taken some unfortunate financial hits in the last two years, I would be in a 997 the day my current lease ends. As a matter of fact, if I can't drive a Porsche, I don't care what I drive. I will buy some used POS as a daily driver until I can get another Porsche. Nothing else comes close. As they say.... "There is no substitute!"
Tim I just got back from Dallas, city is more lively than I remember (road quality a little worse though). Had a blast though, was up in Victory right across from House of Blues. Car show around there by the W, Astons, Z8s, plenty of Ps. Enjoy your time down there!

Quick Reply: Wife and I getting new cars, should 911 be one of them?