Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wife and I getting new cars, should 911 be one of them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:19 PM
DrScoles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife and I getting new cars, should 911 be one of them?

Hi Everyone,

I've followed this forum for quite a while. I have always had my heart set on a 996 C4S. My wife and I have been looking at cars quite a bit, we're both getting new cars as soon as we can decide on which ones to get. When we were looking at an SL for her, there was BWM 645 right next to a 911. I sat in both of them, and the BMW was gorgeous inside, the 911 felt like a 77 bug. Yesterday, I test drove the new Audi A5. A5 is a very nice car, but a little anemic. The S5 is near impossible to obtain. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these three cars. I could get a new A5, or a used 645 or 911. I'm going to the porsche driving school end of June, like to try to wait until then to decide, but I'm getting antsy. I'm stuck with this 911 has always been my dream car thing versus the other two cars being more comfortable and modern inside. The new A5 with no maintenance worries vs. the 03-04 911 with scheduled maintenance is another concern. I had an X5, didn't ever take it in, so not sure what the 645 will require nor do I have experience with BMW service.

Audi hit a homerun with the interior on the A5, their version of the idrive for the radio and nav is super simple.

Obviously you guys are biased, but I'd like to hear pros and cons from you. My fear is that I will get tired of the appearance and lack of features inside the 911, but if I get either of the other two, I won't be scratching the performance itch I've been craving. For the last 4 years I've been driving a Hummer.

Thanks, mike
Old 03-22-2008, 02:36 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

My answer to your question will always be an emphatic "yes".

But if you're that concerned about the 996 interior, then you're probably not a Porsche guy. The Porsche experience is about the DRIVING dynamics, not luxe interiors (though they've gotten better on the 997 - perhaps you should drive some CPO 997 variants to see if that scratches your itch - or take a look at a 996 with full leather and other optional goodies).

The A5 and 645 are much heavier cars more oriented to touring...so if that's your thing, you'd be happier with one of those. Best thing, as always, is to drive all of the contenders and see which makes you smile.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Hi Everyone,

I've followed this forum for quite a while. I have always had my heart set on a 996 C4S. My wife and I have been looking at cars quite a bit, we're both getting new cars as soon as we can decide on which ones to get. When we were looking at an SL for her, there was BWM 645 right next to a 911. I sat in both of them, and the BMW was gorgeous inside, the 911 felt like a 77 bug. Yesterday, I test drove the new Audi A5. A5 is a very nice car, but a little anemic. The S5 is near impossible to obtain. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these three cars. I could get a new A5, or a used 645 or 911. I'm going to the porsche driving school end of June, like to try to wait until then to decide, but I'm getting antsy. I'm stuck with this 911 has always been my dream car thing versus the other two cars being more comfortable and modern inside. The new A5 with no maintenance worries vs. the 03-04 911 with scheduled maintenance is another concern. I had an X5, didn't ever take it in, so not sure what the 645 will require nor do I have experience with BMW service.

Audi hit a homerun with the interior on the A5, their version of the idrive for the radio and nav is super simple.

Obviously you guys are biased, but I'd like to hear pros and cons from you. My fear is that I will get tired of the appearance and lack of features inside the 911, but if I get either of the other two, I won't be scratching the performance itch I've been craving. For the last 4 years I've been driving a Hummer.

Thanks, mike
Congrats Mike. You have the "bug." Please read the 996 buying guide at the top of the forum. It very well might answer all your questions.

Good luck.

C.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:02 PM
DrScoles
Track Day

One of my friends let me have his 997 cab for an afternoon, I really liked it. I've been a truck/suv guy my whole life due to hobbies and large dogs. Honestly don't know if I will be comfortable in a car every day. But I'm willing to give it a try ;-) I want to stay around $50K, so the 997 unless its a strippy, is out. Haven't looked at the 05's in a while, are they hitting that price point yet? I LOVE the look of the 996 C4S.

If I can hold out, I think the porsche class will help me figure out if I need to have that "driving experience."

Thanks for the opinions... Keep them coming.

Mike
Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense intended, but I'm always amazed when someone asks if he should buy a Porsche. Can't people figure this out without asking us? Isn't there enough written on this forum (and others) to learn about the marque - it's strengths and weaknesses? To come to Rennlist and ask that question will result in a rather predictable answer - of course we're Porsche fanatics and would say "yes, buy one" in most cases.

If he's not sure, then he's not ready to buy one. If it's a luxury two-seater that he's after, then there are many other choices. And if he's worried about maintenance costs, then he should realize that maintenance costs are either built into the front end of the transaction (in the price of the car, its CPO warranty, etc.) or they happen at the back-end of the transaction with repairs and maintenance at your friendly dealer or independent mechanic. You don't avoid them...the warranty makes it seem like you're avoiding them, but you're paying for the warranty coverage (and therefor the costs of repairs and/or maintenance).

Whatever DrScoles decides, I do wish him the best of luck.

P.S. I'm also an Audi guy and as good as their interiors are, I'm convinced that it's overall performance that delivers the most satisfaction during the term of car ownership. Go buy the Porsche....live your dream!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:27 PM
DrScoles
Track Day

No offense taken at all. I'm sitting on the fence, looking for a nudge in either direction. I've followed this board for a few years, recently became a member, the information and passion you all display is awesome.

Mike
Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I sat in both of them, and the BMW was gorgeous inside, the 911 felt like a 77 bug.
Honestly, if the 911 feels "like a '77 bug" then maybe it really isn't the car for you. I think the interior on my '04 C4S is to die for - classic, clean, functional, and comfortable. But, each to his own. Comparing the 645, the A5 and the 911 is really apples to oranges.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil, you're right, of course. And more importantly, interior comfort is very important, including how the seats hold you in place and support your back and shoulders.

The attention paid to ergonomics (including gauge and switch placement, sight lines, gearshift location, installation of a dead pedal, etc.) plays a major role in how much the interior works to enhance the driving experience. Porsche's interiors work very well in this regard, especially the newer ones that DrScoles is interested in.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I really love Porsche interiors - and the 997 interior is significantly more moderized than the 996 (maybe why I prefer mine, but it's all a matter of taste). Audi interiors are great looking to be sure, but there's something about a 911 you can't beat. I love the interior on the s-line TT I just bought, but not a great fan of the flat-bottomed steering wheel. I'll get used to it. For DrScoles, if you love Audi's version of 'i-drive', you'll hate the original in the BMW - it's very confusing. Probably why I shy away from those options (and nav systems, too). Anyway, like I said, drive the cars you're considering, and buy the one that grabs you.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VGM911
Can't people figure this out without asking us?
Agree. You ought to know what you want.
If the 911 bug doesn't actually bite you, then maybe it's not in your "bloodlines."

You're looking at the right cars, Audi, BMW, Porsche.
But sorry, but can you not afford a 3rd car?

A lot of us have other daily drivers and use the P-car for something less than daily driver.
(I've got 5 cars, but I'm schizophrenic.)
Old 03-22-2008, 08:47 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need to ask the question.....I would say no. I think the 911 ownership is about passion. Waiting for that right time in your life where you can truly appreciate it. You don't buy one because you can...you buy one because its what you have always wanted.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:49 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

you know you want the 911... don't ask, just do it. In the end... a grin every time you drive it.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, mike
Mike, go for a test drive. All doubts will be erased there.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

If you drive a 911 and can't bear not to have one, then you know.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
steve germany
Instructor

The S5 is the one to buy - unless the diesel becomes available in the US. OUTSTANDING vehicle. I still bought a used C4S over the S5 even though that I could of recieved with substantial discounts here in Europe as US military.

Quick Reply: Wife and I getting new cars, should 911 be one of them?