996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New console and Instrument bezel

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:18 PM
kas930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The parts came with the car... I purchased the car with a blown motor back in late October and I've been freshening it up a bit (why I'm not that familiar with how the lid works - I'm not sure that I ever opened it). I wasn't sure if the lid was opening as far as it should, but everything looked right to me (I should've take some pics).
I take a class in autobody painting at a local vo-tech school one night a week just to have a place to work on my projects and deceided to play around with the interior some after seing pics on this site... I really like the artic silver/black combo..
Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kas930
The parts came with the car... I purchased the car with a blown motor back in late October and I've been freshening it up a bit (why I'm not that familiar with how the lid works - I'm not sure that I ever opened it). I wasn't sure if the lid was opening as far as it should, but everything looked right to me (I should've take some pics).
I take a class in autobody painting at a local vo-tech school one night a week just to have a place to work on my projects and deceided to play around with the interior some after seing pics on this site... I really like the artic silver/black combo..
Nice job! I like the Silver/Black combo as well, Now I just need to find a auto painting class These parts can get expensive!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Nice job! I like the Silver/Black combo as well, Now I just need to find a auto painting class These parts can get expensive!
the main thing with the painted parts is the amount of time it takes to prep. the base material. if you just paint over the part w/o the proper prep, the paint will just crack and split. personally i do not like the painted parts for these cars, it looks...hate to say the word....cheap. the plastic oem parts do not look any better. for cars that cost so much porsche should have done a better job in material selection. the only interior upgrades that look best imo are the cf and leather option. i replaced the rear center counsole with the leather type and it looks great. its more expensive than the painted parts, but what's not expensive in these cars..
Old 03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manny_g
for cars that cost so much porsche should have done a better job in material selection. the only interior upgrades that look best imo are the cf and leather option. ..
agreed. i wouldn't have a 911 today if not for the oem cf interior in my car + full leather.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
agreed. i wouldn't have a 911 today if not for the oem cf interior in my car + full leather.
It's all about personal taste, while I think full leather is the best look for sure I have never been a fan of CF in a Porsche no matter how well done.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

that's fine. it's saving u a lot of $$$$ for not being a fan of it.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

that's fine. it's saving u a lot of $$$$ for not being a fan of it.
Nah, I find many other things to **** away $$$$ on!
Just ask my wife!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

yea imagine if u said i'm going to buy $8k worth of gray plastic for my car. she'd love that.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

yea imagine if u said i'm going to buy $8k worth of gray plastic for my car. she'd love that.
yeah, she is really cool with most of my obsessions but that might give her the same expression Eliot Spitzers wife had in that press conference
Old 03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
It's all about personal taste, while I think full leather is the best look for sure I have never been a fan of CF in a Porsche no matter how well done.
marc...i agree. i have seen p-cars with too much cf and it detracts from the looks at the same time. however, some cf touches really enhances the appearance. the carrera gt is cf heaven for those who like it. ferrari on the other hand uses just enough like in the f430 to make the interior stand out.

do not know why porsche does not use some real aluminum accent within the interior instead of the imitation look. the audi's and bmw have some real nice aluminum accents in their interiors which looks great. for my money give me the real stuff and keep the imitation stuff out. expensive high performance cars should look and feel what they represent...the real thing!!
Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by manny_g
marc...i agree. i have seen p-cars with too much cf and it detracts from the looks at the same time. however, some cf touches really enhances the appearance.
i'm def one of those cars since i have a bunch of oem cf in my car. without it, the stock plastic bits look like absolute ****. at least the cf blends in with the blakc/gray interior. the stock painted stuff.. too much of it .. is over the top more so than cf will ever be.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 PM
kas930
Rennlist Member

I just thought that I'd share some pic updates after I got the center console installed last night. I'm really pleased with the results, ofcourse now I'm thinking about the storage area beneath the radio...I think that area could use a little artic silver as well.
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kas930
I just thought that I'd share some pic updates after I got the center console installed last night. I'm really pleased with the results, ofcourse now I'm thinking about the storage area beneath the radio...I think that area could use a little artic silver as well.
Lookin good! dont forget to paint the non smoker kit in the console
Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
kas930
Rennlist Member

Marc...I haven't deceided if I'm going to hit paint that part yet or not... I've got 9 more weeks left of class to think about it.

Quick Reply: New console and Instrument bezel