996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSS9, PSS10, or X74?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:09 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a such thing as an option suspension for the 996 gt3?

My Dad wants his 01' c2 to have the gt3 ride feel,why not put on a gt3 suspension?

How much do used gt3 set ups(shocks,springs & bars) go for?

Is the 996 gt3 ride height different than the 996 c2?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbochad
I was hoping that someone had pss10s on their car. I have read enough on the others, but the 10s look significantly different than the 9s in terms of the spring set up, and it sounds like the dampening is different as well. They seem like they may be the best of both worlds, not as soft as the 9 but more comlpiant than the X74. I may never track this car, but I want the benefits of a true coil over suspension. It will mostly be driven to club events, shows, and in the seasonal club rally.
Hi! Not sure if a relative rookie with PSS10s counts or not. Ray S has the experienced reply! The 10s are great compared to my stock setup, but that's the limit of my experience.

I recently had the 10s installed on my C4S. For an initial setting they suggested going toward the soft edge on the rebound setting. At this time of year in MN it was probably a good idea. Ride is smoother than stock.
Tracking (if this is the correct term) is really impressive.

I am amazed at the feel when making rapid turns or even a quick swerve to avoid a pothole! The car just stays completely level. Steering is quicker, but this might be the corrected alignment. Corner balanced too while we were at it.

Just a note for your installer. For some reason the numbering system of the dampening setting was reversed from the PSS9s.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:35 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Is there a such thing as an option suspension for the 996 gt3?

My Dad wants his 01' c2 to have the gt3 ride feel,why not put on a gt3 suspension?

How much do used gt3 set ups(shocks,springs & bars) go for?

Is the 996 gt3 ride height different than the 996 c2?
The GT3 coilovers are fully adjustable. The GT3 stock ride height is much lower than the US C2 stock ride height.

My GT3 sway bars were $300 with bushings when I got them last year (new). Used GT3 coilovers are $600 - $1,000 depending on the occasion, condition and the parts you get. Note that you need different front camber plates (sometimes they come with the GT3 suspension from the donor car, sometimes they get reused from the GT3 owner; a better and cheaper alternative to Porsche camber plates are the ones from Tarett: http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-products/list.htm). You'll also need new droplinks front and rear as well as drop link mounting parts in the front (should come with the GT3 coilovers attached to the struts). If you'll get the stock GT3 drop links with the coilovers - use them, they work fine, if you want adjustable drop links; there are various sources, one is again Tarett.

Installation is similar to all other coilover suspensions and involves 5-10 hours labor depending on the shop or DIY experience. As after every suspension change, get an alignment done and maybe corner balancing (optional).
Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I think I am going with the PSS10's from Tirerack. I think they will give me what I am looking for.

Quick Reply: PSS9, PSS10, or X74?