Install help please for an EVOMS Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install help please for an EVOMS Intake

So i took a shot at putting in the intake today, it looked pretty straight forward, and the car seems to run without a hitch, but i'm conscerned by two things:

1) the back part of the triangular box is SUPER close to the compressor pulley...like less than a finger gap.

2) the triangular intake, i'm not sure if it is sealing properly with the hard piper since there is no clamp thingy to hold it tight.

Can someone please post install directions (i got mine used off another rennlister so i have none), and/or some photos of their install. My car is a 3.4L.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Your friendly neighborhood mod-guy.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Omar, EVOMS has directions on their website that you can download. I'm happy to take some pictures of mine, but yours sounds fine. It does sit very close to the pulley. As long as you have the L-shaped bracket next to the engine cover latch, it will be fine. The triangular part of the intake, I believe, is just to keep hot air from the engine compartment from going into the "cold air" induction. I will be glad to take pictures if you need them. Mark
The following users liked this post:
TimSippel (11-13-2020)
Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

thanks mark.
i'll post up my photos in a bit. i removed some of the spaces from the L bracket that connects 2 the mount point to move it away further a bit from the thingy.

will double check the install instructions on evoms website.

also..mine was originally for a 3.6L but i was told that they are identical, you just need 2 not use the larger supplied bracket.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

mark,
i checked evoms's website, the 997 install seems 2 be a bit different in that there is no mention of the larger supplied bracket.

anyhow..here's some pics of the gap between my pulley and box.
if you could post some up of yours, that would be awsome.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Omar, here are some pictures of mine. You can see that the pulley rubbed on mine. I bought it used from a guy that had it on a 997. The only difference according to EVOMS is the bracket. I didn't get the mounting bracket for a while when I had it on my previous 996. I have about 1/2-1/3 inch of clearance between the pulley and the CAI housing. Don't you just love the sound yours makes near redline???
Attached Images    
Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i havn't taken it to WOT yet because i was scared of mangling something horribly

thanks for the pics, much appreciated. honestly, i'm not really impressed with the kit considering the price. glad i got mine used. Sorry evoms, normally your stuff is quite good, but this intake is meh in terms of quality at best (the sound is AMAZING tho...so does it even out )
Old 03-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i've highlighted some arrows:

arrow 1: my kit didn't have this since i got it used, no worries, 20 cent piece. how did you get that thing on tho..did you attach the filter and the metal pipe outside of the car, then slip everything in as a unit? because the whole filter doesn't stick out of the whole in the triangular intake, it looks like it would be an impossible task to do so otherwise.

arrow 2: christ on a bike, i can't believe how close the pulley on the denso compressor gets to the triangular box, yours actually ground away on it eh, that's crazy.
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 PM
tris911
Advanced

I had mine installed at sharkwerks, and it's been rubbing on the pulley. Alex, the shop owner, said it's no concern since it's just plastic. Worried at first, but i guess it doesn't matter. sorry to pics to offer.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey bud i'm not a technical guy but do me a favor and as soon as it's all set....

windows up.... hwy....... drop it into 3rd..... and punch the throttle to redline. that howl at the upper reaches of the rev band is... intoxicating with the evoms unit.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
hey bud i'm not a technical guy but do me a favor and as soon as it's all set....

windows up.... hwy....... drop it into 3rd..... and punch the throttle to redline. that howl at the upper reaches of the rev band is... intoxicating with the evoms unit.
+ 11,000,000,000

my buddy put the EVOMS on his C4S and it sounds MEAN.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tris911
Worried at first, but i guess it doesn't matter.
Its just a bit disappointing tho, especially if you do end up grinding a hole into the side of the intake, your going to be just letting in more hot air, negating the "cold air intake" effects.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I think it's missing circular clamp that goes on the outside of the trangular box....IIRC, there is a clamp inside that holds the triangular filter to the tube, then there's one that fits on the outside of the box right under the hole between the triangular box and the tube. I remember that mine didnt' have the second one and it kept coming apart. Look at DeadEye's arrow pointing to #1...that should be the second clamp.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

had anyone actually LOST power with this intake?
i don't mind too much that it doesn't make any, but has anyone actually lost power from it?
Old 03-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

dead, do u actually think someone's going to actually take the time and expense to do back-to-back dynos let alone since dynos can't ever recreate the air ram effect at speed, u think someone actually has access to the wind tunnel to really get at the right data?

indirectly i'm saying just enjoy the sound and whatever perceived power it givesu . whether it gained or lost your **** can't tell.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

seems about rite.

does anyone else get a sort of Chuffing noise when you go hard on the gas (WOT)? i get a chuffing noise from the intake when i step on it (it just happens for a split second then goes away). doesn't happen at half throttle.

Quick Reply: Install help please for an EVOMS Intake