Sponsored by:

Install help please for an EVOMS Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DanJK
Anybody have a problem with the EVOM throwing a cel? I"m tempted, but I hear not so good things.
d
No, the cell being thrown is from the K&N intake and air filter.
The evo intake doesn't use oil.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:43 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Pretty sure mine does...

Never had a CEL, though. Pretty easy to live with, actually.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Both use a pre-oiled filter. However, the K&N seems to throw CEL's (according to many on this board) and the EVO's don't (according to many).

I've had an EVO on my 986 for over 6 years with no CEL.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Both use a pre-oiled filter. However, the K&N seems to throw CEL's (according to many on this board) and the EVO's don't (according to many).

I've had an EVO on my 986 for over 6 years with no CEL.
wanted to come back to this:
apparently people have been installing the maf backwards in the K&N (i didn't even know this was possible). And that was the source of a misread, or so they say. Also, K&N shipped their intakes absolutly drenched in oil. Do yourself a favor and wash the intake and reoil it with less oil, or switch to the AEM oil-less sport filter for the sake of your MAF.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I do drive a boring looking 911, it's true. But I really do prefer the stripped-down thing, seriously. My wife is an up-for-anything kind of girl, and it's certainly not about money (she thinks I should be in an Aston). I'm just a low profile guy. I even wear a Submariner, which I recall you also thought was terminally boring... maybe I should get my *** to Sea-Tac for some attitude lessons while I still have a chance...
WHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHA I really like the GMT2 Ceramic, but sold it because it was still a wee bit conservative and I didn't want to spend $15K on two watches. I have my limits that's for sure. I bought my Omega moon watch many years ago that I won't ever let go due to sentimental reasons. WIth the money from the Rollie sale, I picked up a wrist clock aka the breitling bentley 6.75 with the black gator strap.

I know you drive the car the way it is cuz that's your style just like my style and level of normalcy is diff from yours and rightfully so. I didn't ever think it's cuz you really wanted to, but the missus or funds were stopping you from doing it. Notta once.

Seriously, I came off like an arsehole so I apologize for that. My bad.

I'd love to see my boy BruceP in an Aston Martin DBS. With his Rolex on. So Bond.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Somehow it never feels personal with you, bruh. No apology necessary.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know what the recommended process is to replace the air filter on the EVOMS? I jus got a new filter, but saw the thing and realized it's not as simple as yanking out the filter.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:04 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

disconnect the maf tube from the rubber piece attached to the throttle body, the tube then can be pulled away from the filter ring and filter cone. Then you just wedge out the filter cone and disconnect it from the ring.
Then just put the new cone on the ring and reverse the process.

It easy to do. The fact is the I need to check and fix that damn maf tube and rubber piece are attached everyday I go out.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:45 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i also had the evo on my previous c4s for over one year and never got a cell. i made a modification on my setup based on a condition that i noticed after the install. the snorkel did not quit fit around the rubber gromit located on the engine lid. this lead to a slight but noticeable whining noise at cold start-ups that eventually went away when the engine was warmed up, but this got old real soon. also the possibility of sucking in hot air from the engine compartment was possible due to the poor fit. to resolve issue i actually removed the snorkel from the oem setup, which i think is a much better design because it actually forms a seal between the rubber gromit and snorkel which has a flange all around, and fitted it to the evo body. I cut the snorkel from the evo and slid in the oem snorkel in its placed. utilized a small beed of silicon to close any small gaps that were present. the end result was great and cured the whining noise. now i had the best of both worlds. i attached a pic for reference.

Last edited by manny_g; 06-04-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Anyone know what the recommended process is to replace the air filter on the EVOMS? I jus got a new filter, but saw the thing and realized it's not as simple as yanking out the filter.
I don't think it's supposed to be replaced. I think it's supposed to be serviced, ie. cleaned and re-oiled.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

you can re-clean/re-oil it but you still need to get it out of the box for that to happen or to replace it
just wriggle and pull it out...you'll have to apply some force to it but there's no other way.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
you can re-clean/re-oil it but you still need to get it out of the box for that to happen or to replace it
just wriggle and pull it out...you'll have to apply some force to it but there's no other way.
Oh, no, there is another way. You do it like this:

- open wallet
- remove credit card (likely still smoking from last mod orgy)
- pay the nice man
- go for espresso
- drive home
Old 04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
I figured it was just a case of wriggling it to get it in and out... a tight squeeze, but it should be doable.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:25 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I figured it was just a case of wriggling it to get it in and out... a tight squeeze, but it should be doable.
I bet you say that to all the girls.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manny_g
i also had the evo on my previous c4s for over one year and never got a cell. i made a modification on my setup based on a condition that i noticed after the install. the snorkel did not quit fit around the rubber gromit located on the engine lid. this lead to a slight but noticeable whining noise at cold start-ups that eventually went away when the engine was warmed up, but this got old real soon. also the possibility of sucking in hot air from the engine compartment was possible due to the poor fit. to resolve issue i actually removed the snorkel from the oem setup, which i think is a much better design because it actually forms a seal between the rubber gromit and snorkel which has a flange all around, and fitted it to the evo body. I cut the snorkel from the evo and slid in the oem snorkel in its placed. utilized a small beed of silicon to close any small gaps that were present. the end result was great and cured the whining noise. now i had the best of both worlds. i attached a pic for reference.
thanks for posting this - I agree that the Evo Snorkle does not line up like the oem.....in fact it is quite a bit off IMO. Something that EVO needs to address especially for the price they charge...and I told them, but they seem very non caring. But I was contemplating doing exactly what you have done. Did you rivet the oem to the EVO after the silicone....nice. I want mine to line up exact...am I asking too much.....

Quick Reply: Install help please for an EVOMS Intake