996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Install help please for an EVOMS Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Omar, the sound you hear is the throttle butterfly opening & sucking massive quantities of air. I assembled mine outside the car and then installed. Mine only rubbed on the pulley because I drove it for a while on my other 996 with the L-shaped bracket missing. I will not rub the way it is currently installed.

The more you drive it, the more you will enjoy the sound. When I returned my previous 996 to stock, before selling it, I was disappointed every time I drove it without the sound of the CAI and exhaust.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i get a chuffing noise when i'm getting off the gas
Old 03-08-2008, 03:28 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't get anything from mine that I would describe as chuffing, FWIW. My EVOMS intake is pretty much undetectable at lower to mid-band rpms. I'm aware of it really only at WOT, when it produces this fantastic howl that's quite inspiring from inside the car, and seems to turn heads from outside.

Power wise, it's hard to say what it does. The seat of my pants says there's some extra grunt in a narrow, narrow range right at the top of the power band, which is what you'd expect from something that basically just lets more air in. Nothing anywhere else. I'm looking forward to seeing what an ECU flash will do for intake/exhaust package I've got. My guy is now recommending REVO over GIAC... should be fun.

For me, the intake and exhaust mods were really about being more connected to the car. I don't care about a few HP one way or the other. Not really a bench racer. What I cared about when I added the SSK, intake and exhaust was putting a little bit of sports car edge back into the ride, just so I could feel what the car was up to. I'm sure I will be roundly mocked for this, but the truth is that I wanted the liveability of a 996, with SOME of the edge of the 993. Hence, a very lightly optioned car, no showy mods, and more sensory involvement.

Dass how AH roll.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
had anyone actually LOST power with this intake?
i don't mind too much that it doesn't make any, but has anyone actually lost power from it?
Omar,

A lot of the Grand Am guys use this intake on their race cars. I really doubt those guys would put anything on that loses power.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Omar,

A lot of the Grand Am guys use this intake on their race cars. I really doubt those guys would put anything on that loses power.
that's reassuring.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:57 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by Ray S
Omar,

Don't be so sure. What saves their ***'s is re-mapping the ecu. As I can speak from experience ...... 2 HP maybe.

Theo
Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Don't be so sure. What saves their ***'s is re-mapping the ecu. As I can speak from experience ...... 2 HP maybe.

Theo
Several guys have reported very good dyno results with this mod (w/o ecu changes), others have reported small gains (all can be found with a search). Racers are not into sound and bling, if they are putting them on the cars (with or without ecu mods) you can bet they are getting some sort of gain (more than 2hp) out of the setup.

If they could get the same gain w/just a re-map, why would they bother installing this intake?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GREEK-TURBO-RACER

Theo
something like a GIAC or revo? or would it have 2 be custom?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I don't get anything from mine that I would describe as chuffing, FWIW. My EVOMS intake is pretty much undetectable at lower to mid-band rpms. I'm aware of it really only at WOT, when it produces this fantastic howl that's quite inspiring from inside the car, and seems to turn heads from outside.

Power wise, it's hard to say what it does. The seat of my pants says there's some extra grunt in a narrow, narrow range right at the top of the power band, which is what you'd expect from something that basically just lets more air in. Nothing anywhere else. I'm looking forward to seeing what an ECU flash will do for intake/exhaust package I've got. My guy is now recommending REVO over GIAC... should be fun.

For me, the intake and exhaust mods were really about being more connected to the car. I don't care about a few HP one way or the other. Not really a bench racer. What I cared about when I added the SSK, intake and exhaust was putting a little bit of sports car edge back into the ride, just so I could feel what the car was up to. I'm sure I will be roundly mocked for this, but the truth is that I wanted the liveability of a 996, with SOME of the edge of the 993. Hence, a very lightly optioned car, no showy mods, and more sensory involvement.

Dass how AH roll.
since when does "no showy mods" have anything to do with being more or less edgy 993 style? face it. you drive a boring looking 911 when the inner-younger you wants all the floss just that you'd look funny trying to pull it off in your wise old age and the mrs would mock u. j/k bruce u know i got nothing but love for ya

anyways, the previous owner of my car installed the EVOMS and GIAC flash at sharkwerks.

if it were me, i'd do the evoms again ($1K?) but would be hard pressed to spend $1500 for the GIAC flash or any other kind of flash. i don't think it makes any sort of noticeable diff as i ran on the stock mapping for a gas tank and couldn't tell. so when people are recommending one brand flash over the other... it's complete salesmanship/hairsplitting.

the howl at the upper reaches is very loud and howls like a wolf at nite. i adore it.

Best,
Ben
Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the intake really $1000? If I were in the market for an intake I would have trouble justifying the extra money for an Evoms over the K&N system.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
since when does "no showy mods" have anything to do with being more or less edgy 993 style? face it. you drive a boring looking 911 when the inner-younger you wants all the floss just that you'd look funny trying to pull it off in your wise old age and the mrs would mock u. j/k bruce u know i got nothing but love for ya

anyways, the previous owner of my car installed the EVOMS and GIAC flash at sharkwerks.

if it were me, i'd do the evoms again ($1K?) but would be hard pressed to spend $1500 for the GIAC flash or any other kind of flash. i don't think it makes any sort of noticeable diff as i ran on the stock mapping for a gas tank and couldn't tell. so when people are recommending one brand flash over the other... it's complete salesmanship/hairsplitting.

the howl at the upper reaches is very loud and howls like a wolf at nite. i adore it.

Best,
Ben
I do drive a boring looking 911, it's true. But I really do prefer the stripped-down thing, seriously. My wife is an up-for-anything kind of girl, and it's certainly not about money (she thinks I should be in an Aston). I'm just a low profile guy. I even wear a Submariner, which I recall you also thought was terminally boring... maybe I should get my *** to Sea-Tac for some attitude lessons while I still have a chance...
Old 03-08-2008, 09:26 PM
TTJunkie

You can guesstimate your power using stock data:
2004 C2 = 5 second 0-62 with 325 hp
2003 GT3 = 4.4 second 0-62 with 381 hp, lighter, fatter tires
2006 GT3 = 4.3 second 0-62 with 415 hp, ram air hasn't kicked in yet
(of course a stock 400hp 993TT will do 0-62 in 3.6 seconds, so you will need to equilibrate)
Using these to plot a curve, you can see 1/4 second less time for every 20 hp up to 365, and .1 second less time for every 20 hp over 365.
This is murder on my clutch, buy it has helped me to decide what to keep and what to throw out.
(I kept my EVOMS CAI)
Old 03-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTJunkie
You can guesstimate your power using stock data:
2004 C2 = 5 second 0-62 with 325 hp
2003 GT3 = 4.4 second 0-62 with 381 hp, lighter, fatter tires
2006 GT3 = 4.3 second 0-62 with 415 hp, ram air hasn't kicked in yet
(of course a stock 400hp 993TT will do 0-62 in 3.6 seconds, so you will need to equilibrate)
Using these to plot a curve, you can see 1/4 second less time for every 20 hp up to 365, and .1 second less time for every 20 hp over 365.
This is murder on my clutch, buy it has helped me to decide what to keep and what to throw out.
(I kept my EVOMS CAI)
Not a bad idea, but 0-100 or 1/4 mile times would give a better picture of power.

A big factor in 0-60 time is traction.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:27 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
something like a GIAC or revo? or would it have 2 be custom?
There is really no need for custom mapping in a case for street use. REVO is actually used by a few KONI CHALLENGE 997 cars. With & without the intake. Those with intake, as I mentioned earlier, 2 HP maybe. Other teams have gone different directions to see what really works for them and what doesn't. Mapping , exhausts are where the real gains are found since the teams can not change the headers.

Theo
Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 PM
DanJK
Racer

Anybody have a problem with the EVOM throwing a cel? I"m tempted, but I hear not so good things.
d

Quick Reply: Install help please for an EVOMS Intake