Sponsored by:

the 996 got me in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostwriter11
Presenting . . . . my ***first ever*** speeding ticket. After 15 years of BMWs, it's 3 weeks in with the 996 and I scored this afternoon in Santa Monica.

But it was only for 53 in a 35 mile zone. Jeez, I'm driving up to San Francisco this week and was hoping for a 110 in a 75. Big disappointment!

Wonder if the P-car had anything to do with it? I was driving along in a wide-spread line of cars, all doing just a few MPH over the speed limit, and the only car that was Instant-On Radared was me! Kind of annoying, actually. No ticket, however . . .
Old 03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon996
Wonder if the P-car had anything to do with it? I was driving along in a wide-spread line of cars, all doing just a few MPH over the speed limit, and the only car that was Instant-On Radared was me! Kind of annoying, actually. No ticket, however . . .
Certainly a factor - on the way up 5 to Irvine this morning, the cop sitting on the hard shoulder lets tons of traffic by, never moves, until I pass him surrounded by traffic, all doing 75.

He starts up, and then plays the 'shadow from the slow lane' game with me for 3-4 miles...

Of course I could just be paranoid - but I've had them zoom up to my bumper before now and sit there for 5 mins, like they are waiting for me to do something stupid - then they pull away when I won't oblige.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
but I've had them zoom up to my bumper before now and sit there for 5 mins, like they are waiting for me to do something stupid - then they pull away when I won't oblige.
I never let them get that close..
Old 03-05-2008, 07:41 PM
akim47
Racer

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Certainly a factor - on the way up 5 to Irvine this morning, the cop sitting on the hard shoulder lets tons of traffic by, never moves, until I pass him surrounded by traffic, all doing 75.

He starts up, and then plays the 'shadow from the slow lane' game with me for 3-4 miles...

Of course I could just be paranoid - but I've had them zoom up to my bumper before now and sit there for 5 mins, like they are waiting for me to do something stupid - then they pull away when I won't oblige.
5 in irvine... cant believe you found the room to get up that fast...
Old 03-05-2008, 07:44 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
5 in irvine... cant believe you found the room to get up that fast...
I use European driving tactics....
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
omnipresent
Racer

GEEEEZ - eat much? 5'10" @ 125?? Maybe just cruise to Krispy Kreme from now on LOL
Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
taylorsnutrition
Advanced

From an officer's stand-point that is assigned to a traffic unit and drives and unmarked Black Impala with tinted windows, 53mph in a 35mph in itself is not reckless. Add 5 rush hour traffic and multiple non-signal lane changes and then you are crossing into the reckless zone. I for one drive my Porsche at least 3 times a week and find it very hard not to pound the throttle every now and then. Have I gone over 53mph in a 35mph zone? Yes but not that often since where I live, there is a local trooper that will write his very on mother a ticket if he could and other officer's as well. So i for one say speeding is speeding but don't consider it to be reckless.
So, if any of you local Charlotte friends see this,

give me honk. I am all over the county all the time..............
Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

I passed a car that looked just like that doing 85 in a 55. Got a ticket for 75.
On a three lane hiway (each direction).
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Leenseen
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use European driving tactics....
I was brave like that until I got my Cali license!!

from a fellow a n other expat Brit in SOCAL
Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's the experience like owning a 911 in tinsel town? inconspicuous?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
what's the experience like owning a 911 in tinsel town? inconspicuous?
Not sure why you're calling your old 'crib' tinsel town, but anyway I was in Newport Beach today on business and saw among others Aston Martin, F430, several Pcars, and countless AMGs.
The F430 felt obligated to goose it, so I guess the 911 isn't completely inconspicuous.

(Sorry for the OT to the OP.)

Another ticket story:
I got a speeding ticket in St Lous, the radar was 87 in a 55, but the officer knew I was from tinsel town (ha) and wrote it up only 75 in a 55.
Why? Because 30 mph over is required presence in Court.
That's a thoughtful officer....
Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Why? Because 30 mph over is required presence in Court.
That's a thoughtful officer....
Possible, but unlikely. By writing it for under 30 over he...
  1. Still gets your money
  2. Leaves you with a better impression of a bad situation so you are less likely to decide to fight it
  3. Doesn't force you to go to court (so you probably won't show)
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by nazhat
I got a warning for not having a front License plate, what the hell? don't cops have better things to do....
Really???, shooot!! I am also from Allen TX, just 1 year resident there and was wondering about the front plate issue as well. I'd better watch-out now for that. Do you have to rectify it by showing up at the police station and show them your front plate? Thanks,
Old 03-06-2008, 12:14 AM
omnipresent
Racer

Originally Posted by Botsy67
Really???, shooot!! I am also from Allen TX, just 1 year resident there and was wondering about the front plate issue as well. I'd better watch-out now for that. Do you have to rectify it by showing up at the police station and show them your front plate? Thanks,
I don't have front plates on any of our cars (and darker than legal tint too). If I'm in Collin County, I keep an eye out for Texas Highway Patrol (the black cars), they're notorious on Preston Rd. north of Frisco and on HWY 380 THEY will pull you over..I just roll down the front windows, as for the front plate - it's a "fix it ticket"...I've appeased these tickets with zip ties or velcro, depending on vehicle. It's truly amazing how so many people just take the ticket and pay, no questions, no fight - that's why they continue their bully tactics. I got a ticket in July '07 in Dallas - decided to fight it, set court date - they set for Feb. '08 - all you have to do is show up on time -- the "judge" will warn you of the severity of "practicing law" and representing yourself, yada yada...they recess to "notify officers" and after the cart and pony show, the "prosecutor" immediately dismisses about 85% of the cases!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by omnipresent
I don't have front plates on any of our cars (and darker than legal tint too). If I'm in Collin County, I keep an eye out for Texas Highway Patrol (the black cars), they're notorious on Preston Rd. north of Frisco and on HWY 380 THEY will pull you over..I just roll down the front windows, as for the front plate - it's a "fix it ticket"...I've appeased these tickets with zip ties or velcro, depending on vehicle. It's truly amazing how so many people just take the ticket and pay, no questions, no fight - that's why they continue their bully tactics. I got a ticket in July '07 in Dallas - decided to fight it, set court date - they set for Feb. '08 - all you have to do is show up on time -- the "judge" will warn you of the severity of "practicing law" and representing yourself, yada yada...they recess to "notify officers" and after the cart and pony show, the "prosecutor" immediately dismisses about 85% of the cases!!!
Thanks Man for the "heads-up", I do see alot of higway patrols in unmarked cars around DFW, they do look tough in those Charger SRT8's...

Quick Reply: the 996 got me in trouble