996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

the 996 got me in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I think the main differences between here and IA is one of culture and population density.

You can't get away with those speeds as easily on the east coast because i) there are more cops, ii) they enforce speed limits more aggressively, iii) there are more strong false alarms for the radar detector to pick up due to the higher density of signals and the fact that they bounce off all of the buildings.

It's great that you can get away with the speeds that you do, I'm envious, but around here you'd never be able to do it, they'd catch you and you'd be taking a ride in the back of a car to see a judge.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:15 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I average close to 100,000 miles driving every year, from north to south and east to west. In addition to trying to stay alert and using a radar detector, when traveling at high speeds, I use a CB with just an earpiece. Often, it is only because of the CB that I am alerted to lasers on an overpass, onramp, etc. So far, only 1 ticket in the last 1.5 million miles. (knock on wood). I always watch any cars far ahead of me for hints. Try not to stick out more than any of the other traffic and stay in the right lane as much as possible. Stay extra alert in areas that provide good spots for radar detection such as crest of hills, corners, etc. In addition, a little Luck of the Irish goes a long way too.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:51 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
I can see how that would make one paranoid. It's just a tool--don't overthink it.
$1,000 fine for possession, plus seizure of the unit here in Ontario. The OPP have, at many detachment offices, a 'wall of shame' for seized detectors.

For me, that ramps up the 'overthink' threshold a bit.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I average close to 100,000 miles driving every year, from north to south and east to west. In addition to trying to stay alert and using a radar detector, when traveling at high speeds, I use a CB with just an earpiece. Often, it is only because of the CB that I am alerted to lasers on an overpass, onramp, etc. So far, only 1 ticket in the last 1.5 million miles. (knock on wood). I always watch any cars far ahead of me for hints. Try not to stick out more than any of the other traffic and stay in the right lane as much as possible. Stay extra alert in areas that provide good spots for radar detection such as crest of hills, corners, etc. In addition, a little Luck of the Irish goes a long way too.
All good advice. It's amazing what you can get away with if you're not being patently unsafe, aggressive or a jerk.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 PM
krisd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I frequently travel a 15 mile stretch of mountain road that is posted 25 miles per hour. It is a twisty mountain road with lots of straight sections many sweeping curves with some sharp curves. On occation I have tried to travel the whole road at 25. It is impossible! Now a pickup truck with poor breaks traveling at 35 mph on the same road would be dangerous.

I would take an attentive driver in a Porsche going 20 mph over the limit vs. anyone going at the limit not paying attention to what they are doing.

That said, we all know the risks when we decide to drive at whatever speeds we believe are reasonable. Its all about good judgement. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't...

Kris
Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

1999Porsche911
CB is a great way to go. I used to have one in my Subbie, but didn't put one in my Audi. The CB saved me many times.

My opinion: (I only have a Passport in my Audi - and in less than 2 days will have one in my C4S- because that's when I get it in KY)
On the highways my detector is "close" to useless. I live in the northeast, so with a lot of car I can pick up instant on signals a good distance away. I also pay careful attention to brake lights, highway turnoffs, U-turn areas, etc. - and yes I know there are always those "secret" spots.

But where a detector saves me is when I drive on local roads
(sheriffs with Ka) and in NYC (Highway patrol usually has it on all the time).
Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have a local place that installs laser defusers. A couple of CGT and GT3 owners had it installed and love them. It warns you and the laser gets an error code 4. They swear by them. I do not bother and spend my money on track time. My daughter lived near there just east of 26th. That road is watched closely by motorcycle police. Good luck. Go to court
Old 06-16-2008, 02:24 AM
ghostwriter11
Racer

Default Follow-up . . .

With this speeding ticket, I decided to "throw myself on the mercy of the court" and pleaded no contest.

I wrote the judge a short letter explaining that I had been driving for 40 years this June and had **never** **ever** had a moving violation of any kind.

It worked! On Friday, I got a reply from the court declaring me NOT GUILTY. They're also refunding my $158 "bail."

Beers all around!!!!

I guess the judge was a liberal, just like me.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice going ghostwriter, it worked!!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:14 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
What do you do that has you driving so much?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:30 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostwriter11
With this speeding ticket, I decided to "throw myself on the mercy of the court" and pleaded no contest.

I wrote the judge a short letter explaining that I had been driving for 40 years this June and had **never** **ever** had a moving violation of any kind.

It worked! On Friday, I got a reply from the court declaring me NOT GUILTY. They're also refunding my $158 "bail."

Beers all around!!!!

I guess the judge was a liberal, just like me.
Liberal??? You can't be you have a nice car that burns way too much earth plundering carbon fuel.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:31 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Great result!
Looking back through the last couple of pages is a blast from the past with Ben and Bruce.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
What do you do that has you driving so much?
+1

Must be long haul trucking? I thought '99 was a mechanic, a computer builder, and chemist (oil) all wrapped up in one? I was completely wrong?!?! hehe

Quick Reply: the 996 got me in trouble