Sponsored by:

Time to switch back to summer tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
I didn't say temp.. didn't matter, only that I have had no issues with my 'well seasoned' summer tires in temps. @ 40 degrees this winter while driving. It's not my opinion, but my actual driving experience that has shown me that my tires haven't been comprimised because I just have not had any sudden changes in handling or lack of grip.
Wasn't trying to be a jerk, but I feel strongly that this is a safety issue. I'd suggest finding an empty parking lot or something like that, and really driving it. Push it hard into a turn. Panic brake. I guarantee you that you will find a considerable loss of margin. More than considerable. If you disagree, it can only be because your definition of 'spirited driving' is different from mine and maybe you don't know how high your car's limits are in the first place. I know what my car can do on summer tires in the summer, and maybe you don't have that benchmark. That would explain why you don't feel there has been a compromise. But I promise you there has been. The definition of 'spirited driving' is subjective, but the chemistry of high performance rubber is not. Again, sorry to be preachy, but to me driving on summer performance rubber in the cold is roughly as responsible as, say, driving on underinflated tires.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think winter in SC might be like summer in Canada. My idea of a cold day is not getting out of the 50's, of which we have maybe 6 weeks like that here. It's 70+ degrees here today
Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Wasn't trying to be a jerk, but I feel strongly that this is a safety issue. I'd suggest finding an empty parking lot or something like that, and really driving it. Push it hard into a turn. Panic brake. I guarantee you that you will find a considerable loss of margin. More than considerable. If you disagree, it can only be because your definition of 'spirited driving' is different from mine and maybe you don't know how high your car's limits are in the first place. I know what my car can do on summer tires in the summer, and maybe you don't have that benchmark. That would explain why you don't feel there has been a compromise. But I promise you there has been. The definition of 'spirited driving' is subjective, but the chemistry of high performance rubber is not. Again, sorry to be preachy, but to me driving on summer performance rubber in the cold is roughly as responsible as, say, driving on underinflated tires.
After writing my last reply, I checked the outside temp.(42 degrees F) and decided to go for a 24 mile loop in southern Maine on a 2 lane back road at varying posted speeds(25 mph to 45 mph). I drove between 10-25 mph over the posted limits intermittantly, where traffic(or lack of traffic) allowed, and was rarely over 4k rpm, but the roads were twisty with plenty of elavation changes and the only issue I encountered was with the frost heaves in the road.I'm not disputing your belief that there is a cold weather comprimise...only that bad things haven't happened to me with temps in the high 30's or low 40'swith my summer tires. My 911's handling did not just go away nor did traction feel like I was on the edge handling wise.I am familiar with my cars limits, but I have not driven the car at 8/10ths on public roads in winter or summer. I'm not trying to be a jerk either Bruce, and appreciate your feedback.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
I think winter in SC might be like summer in Canada. My idea of a cold day is not getting out of the 50's, of which we have maybe 6 weeks like that here. It's 70+ degrees here today
I don't like you anymore.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
70's? Man, that's very hot! How do you survive?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
After writing my last reply, I checked the outside temp.(42 degrees F) and decided to go for a 24 mile loop in southern Maine on a 2 lane back road at varying posted speeds(25 mph to 45 mph). I drove between 10-25 mph over the posted limits intermittantly, where traffic(or lack of traffic) allowed, and was rarely over 4k rpm, but the roads were twisty with plenty of elavation changes and the only issue I encountered was with the frost heaves in the road.I'm not disputing your belief that there is a cold weather comprimise...only that bad things haven't happened to me with temps in the high 30's or low 40'swith my summer tires. My 911's handling did not just go away nor did traction feel like I was on the edge handling wise.I am familiar with my cars limits, but I have not driven the car at 8/10ths on public roads in winter or summer. I'm not trying to be a jerk either Bruce, and appreciate your feedback.
In some countries in Europe you would be ticketed for using summer tires in the winter, especially if you are involved in any kind of any accident.

Driving with summer tires in the winter is kind of like using a cell phone while driving - we all do it and think we can handle it. But put yourself into any kind of situation requiring extreme handling and things start to fall apart.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:11 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can't be too hot for me! Now I know why old folks move to Florida. Not that I'm old or anything

Quick Reply: Time to switch back to summer tires?