996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time to switch back to summer tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:19 PM
mickey6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to switch back to summer tires?

This is the first time I went with the Summer tires/Winter tires. I was looking at the weather for the next 10 days and temps seem to be rising. Question for the VA/DC/MD peeps, is this a good time to switch to summer rubber as the temps seem to be in the 50s and 60s constantly.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Originally Posted by mickey6
This is the first time I went with the Summer tires/Winter tires. I was looking at the weather for the next 10 days and temps seem to be rising. Question for the VA/DC/MD peeps, is this a good time to switch to summer rubber as the temps seem to be in the 50s and 60s constantly.
I took the car out after a few weeks for a nice meet and run today. Having the car in storage and keeping the Summer tires on I was a little weary. The back swiveled side to side a little on the PS2's but not tooo bad ()....

If it's your daily then I'd keep the winters on for a tad bit longer otherwise you should be ok.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

IIRC, summer tires start to lose grip below 55 degrees. OTOH, I've been going stir crazy here in OH, and actually took my somewhat worn Pilot Sport Cups out with temps in the teens. Dry grip was actually decent. There was still a thin layer of snow/ice on my driveway though, and had to go slow and work it a bit. You should be fine if there is no snow or ice, temps 50 and up, on summer tires , so long as you don't intend to set speed records..
Old 03-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have taken my 911 out whenever the temps hit 40 degrees this winter(on summer tires) and have not had any issues with grip or cornering once. No doubt that snow or ice on the road would be different, but I was able to enjoy spirited driving off and on all winter on summer tires.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Switch? We're supposed to switch? I didn't get THAT memo...
Old 03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Switch? We're supposed to switch? I didn't get THAT memo...

It's only necessary if you intend to drive in the snow. Summer tires lose their grip at temperatures below 40, but all that means is that you have to take it a little easier when it gets that cold.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
It's only necessary if you intend to drive in the snow. Summer tires lose their grip at temperatures below 40, but all that means is that you have to take it a little easier when it gets that cold.
Uh....thanks Captain.

I live in Atlanta.

C.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Luke@tirerack
Intermediate

I typically wait until the end of March but, I am quite a bit further north than you .... even though the summer tires do not have as much grip below 50 degrees so, long as there is no precipitation when it is on the chilly side and you exercise some common sense you should be fine
Old 03-03-2008, 10:17 AM
rmillnj
Racer

You might want to give it another 2 or 3 weeks just to be safe. Here in NJ I usually wait until the first week of April before I take off the winter tires. After that the risk of any snow is gone.

I will probably leave my winter tires on a bit longer this year though. Blizzaks are only good for snow down to 6/32" tread. After that they are just average all seasons down to 4/32". Since I started the winter at 7/32" I will run them out and buy a new set for next winter. I probably won't put the summer tires on until June when it really gets hot.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet switched out seasonal tires on this car. But if I did so, I would switch when I thought there was to be no more snow nor cold rain near freezing temps.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Uh....thanks Captain.

I live in Atlanta.

C.

LOL!!!!
That's what you get for egging us grizzlies, Chad.

My sig still lives!! Thanks again, Chad.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
I have taken my 911 out whenever the temps hit 40 degrees this winter(on summer tires) and have not had any issues with grip or cornering once. No doubt that snow or ice on the road would be different, but I was able to enjoy spirited driving off and on all winter on summer tires.
Luck, or you weren't driving very hard. At 40 degrees F, you are right on the margin for fresh summer performance tires, and below it for seasoned ones. Below that temperature (or thereabouts), they become a radically different tire and quite suddenly. Not a matter of opinion, I'm afraid. You can dial back your driving to manage the risk to a certain extent, but it's irresponsible and untrue to say that temperature doesn't matter. It does.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:07 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I have yet switched out seasonal tires on this car. But if I did so, I would switch when I thought there was to be no more snow nor cold rain near freezing temps.
Which where I live would be... August..

- Nick
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

It was still below freezing this morning when I left home, so it's a bit early in NJ for the summers to go back on quite yet.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Luck, or you weren't driving very hard. At 40 degrees F, you are right on the margin for fresh summer performance tires, and below it for seasoned ones. Below that temperature (or thereabouts), they become a radically different tire and quite suddenly. Not a matter of opinion, I'm afraid. You can dial back your driving to manage the risk to a certain extent, but it's irresponsible and untrue to say that temperature doesn't matter. It does.
I didn't say temp.. didn't matter, only that I have had no issues with my 'well seasoned' summer tires in temps. @ 40 degrees this winter while driving. It's not my opinion, but my actual driving experience that has shown me that my tires haven't been comprimised because I just have not had any sudden changes in handling or lack of grip.

Quick Reply: Time to switch back to summer tires?