Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is there a Non-Ricey Reciever that has ipod connectivity?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a Non-Ricey Reciever that has ipod connectivity?

As the title says, i was about to bid on the Nakamichi CD-400 until i read it doesn't play MP3's or have iPod integration.

My next choice was the alpine ida series but it's a bit too..er...loud for me i think. Is there a simple, quality head unit that plays cd's (actually, not even a requirement) and has good ipod integration?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

It's amazing how all the aftermarket headunits all look like "Tokyo by night" now. I'm also looking for a unit with ipod integration for my daughter's VW Golf Cabriolet (project rebuild at this point...don't ask). Let me know what you find.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:37 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the answer is no.

IMHO, there's only one aftermarket brand that makes a factory-looking unit, and that's Nak. And they can't help you. I finally surrendered to Alpine, and take some comfort in a clean install, a bearable illumination colour, and the ability to turn the graphics off altogether. I actually think it doesn't look too bad, and the iPod integration is phenomenal.

Good luck. If you find something, don't tell me. It's too late.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Phil, if you can do without the ipod integration, nak is the way to go. they have a model that plays mp3 cd's.

if you really absolutly need ipod integration, i think the ida-x001 is as non-ricey as it'll get (at least the illumination is all the same god-damned color instead of red for some and blue for others).
Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Phil, if you can do without the ipod integration, nak is the way to go. they have a model that plays mp3 cd's.

if you really absolutly need ipod integration, i think the ida-x001 is as non-ricey as it'll get (at least the illumination is all the same god-damned color instead of red for some and blue for others).
I just use my Becker with the adapter cord from them. I just don't use my CD-changer, because everything is on my Ipod anyway.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
I just use my Becker with the adapter cord from them. I just don't use my CD-changer, because everything is on my Ipod anyway.
I loved that idea, but the sound just isn't the same. MP3s are already a compromise versus CD. Add the additional compromises of a headphone jack and line-level input to the head unit, and I think the music really suffers.

That's just me. YMMV and all that.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 PM
viper501
Instructor

As the title says, i was about to bid on the Nakamichi CD-400 until i read it doesn't play MP3's or have iPod integration.

My next choice was the alpine ida series but it's a bit too..er...loud for me i think. Is there a simple, quality head unit that plays cd's (actually, not even a requirement) and has good ipod integration?
What about one of the Pioneer AVIC units. Get the Ipod, CD and DVD, with a Nav bonus ...
Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

too big, too expensive, too complicated.
if i get nav, i'll get something portable that i can take from car to car
Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 PM
krisd
Instructor

I use a line level output into the Becker Aux input and the sound is really good. I was initially using a headphone input into the Becker Aux input and the sound wasn't nearly as good. I am interested in a factory looking aftermarket unit with iPod integration as well as Bluetooth. I am also using the phone input on the Becker Aux input with a Motorola Bluetooth car kit which works pretty well. I have attached a picture of the Bluetooth unit. I put the cord for the iPod coming out right below the center of the Bluetooth adapter.

Kris
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:01 AM
viper501
Instructor

too big, too expensive, too complicated.
if i get nav, i'll get something portable that i can take from car to car
I'd say Alpine then.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I just bought the Alpine CDA9883 a couple weeks ago for mine. I paid about $180 from Best Buy. I also bought an Alpine amp (still waiting to install both). I did a lot of research prior to buying. For the price and the amount of features, it's pretty hard to beat. There are some good posts both here and on 6-speed that helped me with my decision.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the line out cables to my factory Becker unit. All I would have to buy is the ipod adaptor cable to connect the ipod via docking jack to the stereo. Haven't had the desire though, since I use my iPod every day on the train, and by the time the weekend comes, I am sick of all 500 songs I have on the iPod! The radio is a breath of fresh air to me!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

D-E,

I'm facing the same problem even with the exterior styling of the units. If you are serious about IPOD or even memory stick integration then I suggest you consider the Kenwood Excelon double din (e.g. 7019/8019). At least with the unit turned off it blends in with the rest of the dash and when it's on you can put a custom wallpaper there . The IPOD interface with the touchscreen is very fast and intuitive so that it's easier to minimize distractions and just drive. The other thing is that it has 5V preop outputs which makes for a cleaner signal with better signal to noise numbers.

This is what I've decided to do after pulling the stock Bose system:

Double Din Kenwood Excelon (prob 8019 and refurb)
Audison vrx 2.250 2 channel amp for the fronts (used)
Audison lrx 4.300 4 channel amp in 3 channel mode for the rears and sub (used)
Focal 21v2 8 inch sub for passenger footwell enclosure (used)
3 way speakers for dash and door (Focal or Hertz)
Coax speakers for rear fill (Focal or Hertz)

I've been slowly accumulating stuff either on Craigslist or eBay and have had decent luck in keeping the costs manageable. I have also heard that there are quality issues with the new Nakamichi stuff which is a shame because that's what I've lusted after for the longest time. I'd almost be willing to take a chance if only they could get out of the '90s with their IPOD integration...

Good Luck!

Tonger
Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

dude why do you need something that plays MP3 CD's and IPOD connector? Pick one!!!

Get a Stock HU and hook up a IPOD to it...
Old 03-01-2008, 06:51 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Omar I was in the same position, I ended up as you know changing out the entire system...Damm most system.I too wanted Ipod music and video integration and blue tooth. I went with the Kenwood double din 8019. Its has all that and more! the idod music video integration is flawless and the blue tooth is even better. it is not cheap but in the long run you might find it was worth it. The NAV in this unit is made by garmin and you can update maps via the SD slot. I love this unit and it works very well.

Quick Reply: Is there a Non-Ricey Reciever that has ipod connectivity?