Sponsored by:

Lowering My 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 PM
advent996
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering My 996

I have recently purchased a 2002 996 and am considering lowering to European Spec. Any thoughts on OEM springs, aftermarket springs, etc. etc...
Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 PM
lamesacarrera
Track Day

Staying with Porsche parts only:

I suggest the X74 setup if you want more aggressive lowering and very stiff ride but best handling.

I suggest the ROW M030 setup if you want better handling, slightly stiffer ride and mild lowering. This is probably the best compromise for most 996 owners.

I also have an 02 996 coupe. I currently have the X74 and formerly had the ROW M030 and the US M030 prior to that. I haven't had the std 996 suspension. I LOVE the X74, it's just perfect for me-super tight handling, nice and low but not slammed. The ride is stiff but not harsh. However, if you drive it every day you may find it not comfortable enough.

I can't comment on other aftermarket options but I know that the Bilstein PSS9 ssetup has a lot of fans. It's an adjustable system. There are also cars with just a spring upgrade that lowers the car, i.e. H&R but stock struts/shocks are kept in place. I wouldn't do this because my understanding is that the springs and shocks are not well matched. I have a friend that did this and his car looked great, nice and low and aggressive look but it rode and handled poorly.

Make sure you get a good alignment done after any suspension work.

You can get these suspension parts from Gert at Carnewal in Beligium, that's where I got mine.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the row M030 springs because it's all I am allowed to have in my class. Those with the bilstein HD shocks, it feels great. Still comfortable AND puts down good times.

Suncoast has the springs for around 260 i think.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Originally Posted by lamesacarrera
There are also cars with just a spring upgrade that lowers the car, i.e. H&R but stock struts/shocks are kept in place. I wouldn't do this because my understanding is that the springs and shocks are not well matched. I have a friend that did this and his car looked great, nice and low and aggressive look but it rode and handled poorly.
While at Ruf today I asked about doing this very set-up with either H&R or Ruf lowering springs. Shop foreman assured me there's no need to change struts/shocks. I mentioned others on this forum relaying otherwise and he said I wouldn't see any real difference other than the lowered stance of course. Usually you'd expect someone to TRY selling you more parts - I know this guy very well, he's maintained my 951 ( he's got one as well ), anyone with actual experiences, both pros and cons with just installing lowering springs with stock struts/shocks? Please chime in
Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested in the same topic as the OP. just to add to the detail of the OP, what amount (inches or mm) is reasonable for a car used mostly for street. (and not quite the best streets either)
Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 PM
viper501
Instructor

I went from US M030 to X74. It is a lot lower and a bit stiffer. I don't find the ride 'jarring' though. I do notice a few issues with low things though. Have to be much more careful than at standard US ride height.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamesacarrera
Staying with Porsche parts only:
Another alternative if you want to stay with Porsche parts is a (used) GT3 suspension.

Most 996 GT3s have low miles and their owners like to upgrade to Motons. Their desire for more can be your chance for a great suspension for a reasonable price. A friend of mine (Paul 996) and I both went this route and love it. In combination with GT3 sway bars a wonderful (stiff but not harsh) alternative. I had H&R lowering springs on stock shocks before and think it was harsher as the GT3 coilovers are obviously the better matched spring/shock set-up.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 AM
russcan
Instructor

If you decide to go Row030, I have a set of struts and Champion lowering springs for sale. These springs and struts match up well compared to the standard Oem struts that would be party compressed with these lowering springs. The setup will lower you car 1.25" front and rear. Selling because Pss9's going in soon. PM me if interested. Will take $400 for the setup plus shipping.]

Russ
Old 02-23-2008, 12:59 AM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

There is a guy in SoCal with a used X74 kit that he is parting with for 1300. Not sure where u are located, but if I wasn't already going to do coilovers, I would have gone with the X74 to stay OEM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:18 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by omnipresent
While at Ruf today I asked about doing this very set-up with either H&R or Ruf lowering springs. Shop foreman assured me there's no need to change struts/shocks. I mentioned others on this forum relaying otherwise and he said I wouldn't see any real difference other than the lowered stance of course. Usually you'd expect someone to TRY selling you more parts - I know this guy very well, he's maintained my 951 ( he's got one as well ), anyone with actual experiences, both pros and cons with just installing lowering springs with stock struts/shocks? Please chime in
I agree with Ruf, my '04 with H&R springs handles superbly, though at the cost of a very stiff ride, which I don't mind (exacerbated by my preferred high tire pressures - 37/44). Plus, it looks waaay cool on 19" Champions.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 AM
omnipresent
Racer

Thanks triode, did you get a varible rate spring (haven't looked at H&R site)..know anything about Eibach for our cars?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

While at Ruf today I asked about doing this very set-up with either H&R or Ruf lowering springs. Shop foreman assured me there's no need to change struts/shocks. I mentioned others on this forum relaying otherwise and he said I wouldn't see any real difference other than the lowered stance of course.
They didn't go to the trouble of shortening the strut rods for nothing:
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
They didn't go to the trouble of shortening the strut rods for nothing:

Duly noted - got any specs as to how much shorter?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Duly noted - got any specs as to how much shorter?
This is US standard C2 vs RoW M030 C2:
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2008, 12:26 PM
omnipresent
Racer

is that 2 1/4" or midway between 1/2" & 3/4"?

Quick Reply: Lowering My 996