Sponsored by:

Lloyd's mats and attachment to floor carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 AM
95M3CSL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lloyd's mats and attachment to floor carpet

I'm considering getting a set of floor mats made by Lloyd's for my 04 40th anniv 911. In my car the current floor mats have a hook and loop fastening system (i.e. cloth loops on mat, plastic hook pad on floor). The cloth hooks are part of 2 big circular areas on the bottom of the floor mat closest to the seat. The hooks are a big round plastic surface with a small plastic built in screw that screws into the underlying carpet to stay put. Hooks and loops.

I was wondering if the Lloyd's mats for my 04 996 will have the same exact way of attaching to my already existing plastic velcro hooks device or do they attach using a different mechanism like the "bayonet" floor piece and a plastic slot in the mat? I do not want to screw a plastic screw into my existing floor carpet that makes another hole in the carpet. I'd like to use my existing hole in the carpet to attach to or the existing velcro fastening system with cloth loops on the Lloyd's mats.

Any advice would be helpful before I spring for the mats.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I also have a 40th, with Lloyd's mats - they indeed use the bayonet system, which attaches to your seat rails - no holes required. Unfortunately, the bayonets do not exert enough grip and the mats usually unlatch from them in a day or two - must constantly reattach if you want 'em to stay in place.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 AM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc, I had the system you have. I now have the system Triode has. Mine have stayed attached since i bought them (approx 4 months). Maybe just good luck so far.
Triode, What have you done to try to keep them working? I.e. would something in between the two prongs, forcing them out, work?
Andy t
Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had a set of Lloyds for about a year now on an '03 C2. As triode said, they attach to the seat rails--no drilling.

Mine have never come loose. But, I haven't had any passengers kicking their legs and screaming, "We're all gonna DIE !!" as we head into corners. So, it may be that I just don't drive fast enough to loosen them.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:47 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Mine have never come loose. But, I haven't had any passengers kicking their legs and screaming, "We're all gonna DIE !!" as we head into corners. So, it may be that I just don't drive fast enough to loosen them.
HA! I remember that video - if that's what you are talking about! classic!

I bought the Lloyd mats but didn't put them in because I got them in october and wanted to use the old mats for the winter months.

Can we adapt our velcro circles from the stock mats to the Lloyds??
Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 PM
rleeq
Racer

I have Lloyd’s mats in my car but I much prefer the Porsche anchor system. I haven’t had any issue with coming loose I just like the simple effective system that Porsche employs.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:10 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

I just got my Lloyds mats and cannot understand why they have to overcomplicate things with the bayonets. The velcro system works great; they're easy to remove and replace. The Lloyd bayonets will require more time and attention to get in and out of the car and will definitely **** off the guys at the car wash -- that is if they don't accidentally tear them out.

Also, they don't fit. Nowhere on the Lloyd Mats web site do they say anything about being larger than the stock mats, but they are, and there's a little card in the box that proudly tells you so. Why is this a good thing? Considering the cutouts around the seat mounts are too small, I would much rather the mats were too small than too big. And why would the cutouts of custom mats be too small? I don't get it.

I'm not impressed.

Can someone who has these please explain how you can overlook the bad fitment?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

just get them they look great and the attachment is not a big deal. they have never come loose on mine and i drive my car every day.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 AM
charlesml3
Instructor

I'm with Manny here. I just don't get all this complaining. The plastic clips that come with Lloyd's Mats work just fine. I've had them in FOUR different Porsches.

And why would we worry about "pissing off the guy at the car wash?" I'm not buying mats to make him happy.

-Charles
Old 03-06-2008, 02:05 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Originally Posted by charlesml3
I'm with Manny here. I just don't get all this complaining. The plastic clips that come with Lloyd's Mats work just fine. I've had them in FOUR different Porsches.
It just doesn't make sense. Why change something that works great and requires less effort?

Originally Posted by charlesml3
And why would we worry about "pissing off the guy at the car wash?" I'm not buying mats to make him happy.
I don't like to be the jackass with the nice car who makes life unnecessarily harder for people who aren't as fortunate as me.

Love your GT3 btw.

--------------------------

Has anyone else had trouble with fitment? Do you just not care? Or do yours fit perfectly?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you still order a set of OEM mats from Porsche with the velcro anchors for the 996 if you want to avoid the plastic clip attachments that the Lloyds mats come with?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 AM
charlesml3
Instructor

Of course. You'll get an inferior mat and you can't get any custom scripting. But if those velcro fasteners are that important to you then by all means, stop by the local Porsche dealer and buy another set of mats there.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread, but does anyone know how to remove the plastic cover on the automatic seat for the floormat anchor, mine doesn't have an accessible screw. I have Lloyds mats
Old 08-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Wickedgood911
Rennlist Member

Just forward of the hex nut in your picture there is an"U" shaped tab on the black bracket. Press the tab down with your index finger and slide the plastic bracket toward the front of the car. It should slide forward and up, allowing you to access the location to place the LLoyds clip.

PM me if you run into a jam.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:11 PM
redriderrick
Intermediate

Pushing down on that tab won't work. Lift it VERY slightly with a small flathead screwdriver and slide the cover forward. I have the lloyds mats and highly recommend them. They're your mats, not some guy's at a car wash. (Really???)

Quick Reply: Lloyd's mats and attachment to floor carpet