996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do you handle the guilt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't care what people think. Really half the people that comment are useless ****s anyways.
In life there are followers and leaders, then there are the ones that just don't give a **** and do what they want.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I don't care what people think. Really half the people that comment are useless ****s anyways.
In life there are followers and leaders, then there are the ones that just don't give a **** and do what they want.
Testify, my Canadian brother.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
^^should we start a rennlist donation thread to buy JBRipps a new keyboard?
Arnee....i hope you collect a lot...it's my laptop...not an easy fix, but i guess i really should get a new one at some point. it's the backing up that i dread. if it was simply a keyboard for a desktop...no problem there. Sooooo...start collecting. THANKS! HAHA.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Arnee....i hope you collect a lot...it's my laptop...not an easy fix, but i guess i really should get a new one at some point. it's the backing up that i dread. if it was simply a keyboard for a desktop...no problem there. Sooooo...start collecting. THANKS! HAHA.
DOH!!! An entire laptop!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone - I must say i have really enjoyed reading this thread! I am glad to hear everyones views on this as i just bought my first Porsche this weekend Bottom line is there is no better car in the world for $30K, which is what i paid for my 99 C4 with 74K miles. After having it for 2 days i have really had only posative responses, but do find myself having to explain it as being cheaper then what others are driving. I work in a small office so everyone knew it was coming, then the boss asked the question, "how much was it?". Definitely caught him off guard when he found out it was the same as he paid for his "PT" edition Chrysler minivan
As others mentioned before - its all about priorities and as long as you have yours in order, who cares what they think. I'm just gonna nod, smile and enjoy my car!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
DOH!!! An entire laptop!
Yeah Arnee, I have already given Jon quite a bit of **** about his Q key and told him to spend $25 and get a new keyboard. Later he told me it was a laptop. Now the shift key has quit working!

There used to be a guy on the Forum that had intermittant trouble with his shift key. For a while, a lOt oF hiS wOrDs wOuLd coMe loOkiNg soMEthInG sImiLAr tO tHis, whIcH mAdE hIs pOsTs rEaLlY dIFfiCuLtrd to rEaD.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 PM
akim47
Racer

nice thread... but y'all made me sad knowing that i could have bought a 996 C4S for the same price i paid for the denali.... i wish i woulda ran across you guys last year....

so true, so true... the yukon/ tahoe is a dime a dozen 'round here... no issues... (people don't differntiate between a denali or bone stock base model yukon, it's all the same unless u drivin' a ben choi style pimped out escalade)... but if i rolled up in an bone stock '02 C2, my boss'd be like WTF?

we had that at my old work... senior mgmt was old school conservative and for some reason all these young kids we were hiring were rolling outrageous rides (IMO)... straight out of undergrad there was:

MB E350 on 3piece Brabus
BMW X5 4.4
986 Boxster S (blah... but worth the mention)
E46 M3
BMW 530
BMW 6 series

keep in mind these kids were like 22-23 yrs old... we were prob payin them about $50-55Kish a year... crazy kids now days... and there i was pimpin my '99 4Runner with 170,000 miles... so i guess i see both sides of the coin...
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I was thinking about this on the way home... What if you had a nice 356 speedster in the garage, and on a nice spring day you took that out to the clients' office or worksite? Think they'd give you the same rash of **** about bringing over a flashy car? Think they'd even know what it is?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
I was thinking about this on the way home... What if you had a nice 356 speedster in the garage, and on a nice spring day you took that out to the clients' office or worksite? Think they'd give you the same rash of **** about bringing over a flashy car? Think they'd even know what it is?
Just tell them it's a Karmann Gia
Old 02-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

My point exactly!

FWIW, my old red 944 got the most "flashy" comments and the most stares driving down the street. And that was a pretty nice car at $4,200! (less than Ben's wheels!)
Old 02-04-2008, 10:39 PM
'Hoo
Rennlist Member

Really enjoying the thread! I didn't mind driving it to work when there were 2-3 others in the lot, but the new job has a different demographic. One lonely 'vette in the lot, everything else is a familymobile. When in Rome... so I drive the Acura.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
99C2
Instructor

Wow:

Great topic. I fear telling the people at work, of course you know that leads to many more questions. How, Why, and How can YOU afford that?

I just blame it on a "Mid Life Chrisis" it seems to work!

99C2
Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
+ eleventy billion!

RockOn!

I'll bet no one comments when you drive it tho, cause they see you look like you give people vicious dropkicks to the spinal column as a profession
Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 AM
hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by tooloud10

Yeah, like anyone in Iowa will know what a Lotus is...
Hey! I know what a Lotus is!

Where are you? Your avatar looks like Clive or West Des Moines...

You should look into the the CornballRun.

I get stupid comments from time to time but they are evened out by the people who are really into the car. I was getting gas last summer and there was a guy working at the station emptying the garbage. He came over and started asking about the car. After a little talking, my tank was full and he asked if he could go for a ride. My first thought was that I was going to end up in a shallow grave in the woods but figured that, since he was on the clock, that was probably not part of some master plan. So I said if he cleared it with his boss, I'd take him for a spin. He was speechless. Totally makes up for the douchebags.

Last edited by hamilton; 02-05-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:50 AM
ghostwriter11
Racer

Originally Posted by akim47
nice thread... but y'all made me sad knowing that i could have bought a 996 C4S for the same price i paid for the denali....
As the pychologists say, "Your'e in Denali."

Quick Reply: How do you handle the guilt?