Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do you handle the guilt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008 | 02:40 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

in my industry the bigger and more expensive the car the more credibility ...... if you don't show the "wealth" they might not hire you! Ofcourse most of them don't know that my "wealth" is a almost 9 year old convert! and I like to keep it that way.....
Old 02-05-2008 | 03:07 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

sometimes i am tempted to go after a new body benzo or bimmer fully kitted out ac schnitzer, kleeman, lorinser, hamann, whatever slammed on bedazzled wheels ... but i question whether i'll enjoy driving it as much as the 911.
Old 02-05-2008 | 09:56 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Frankly, the real irony is all the people driving around in SUVs that cost in the mid 50s, get crap mileage, hold no more people than a station wagon or mini-van, drive pretty atrociously, weight a ton, and frankly all look more or less the same depending on the amount of bling. The real question is why do people drive 'those' things when a station wagon drives better and operates more efficiently. It's these SUV yahoos that REALLY have the image problem. In my opinion, there's nothing cool about being fat, heavy, and slow.
Old 02-05-2008 | 10:09 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Just tell them it's a Karmann Gia
Garmin Kia - a GPS system available only in crappy Korean cars.

(It's Ghia, fyi.)
Old 02-05-2008 | 10:25 AM
badbeef
AutoX

Default "I didn't buy it to show it, I bought it to drive it..."

Not an active poster but couldn't resist... Yes it can be perceived as 'snobism' but I think it's the driver's/owner's attitude that makes the whole difference. I always go see my clients with the Porsche, as I work in the automotive industry with car dealers but I don't park on purpose right in front of their office so I can be seen. I get all kinds of feedback, positive or not, and sometimes even sarcasm, but when you have the right attitude...

Famous liners:
1- The title of my post;
2- It's not mine, the bank let's me drive it;
3- Here you go (open the passenger's door), let's go for a quick spin!

Be proud of what you drive! It's just a shame that we have to justify our passion...

Oh and BTW, here's a pic of my 99 C2 Turbo Look convertible before I get flammed! (old pic, now with clear lights!)
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2008 | 11:35 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

You could always try to be a bit more warm & fuzzy:

- Are you so small that car ownership is a threat?

- Oh....I'm sorry, you're confusing me with someone who gives a damn about what you think.

- I guess if you actually knew anything, you wouldn't be saying that.

...there's probably more....
Old 02-05-2008 | 12:02 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

I only bought the car so everyone would think I was a snob.
Old 02-05-2008 | 12:21 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I get the comments sometimes from co-workers however they all know my passions and understand that my priorities are vastly different from their own, these comments really don't bother me much.

However, I do tend to get embarassed/guilty around my in-laws and try to stay away from topics having anything to do with posessions. My mother in law is disabled, doesn't work and is on government assistance and while we do contribute quite a bit towards helping her, I still can't help but feel bad when I'm around them for everything that I've got when I see what she has to go without.

Andy
Old 02-05-2008 | 12:24 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Read this thread:

Porsche Envy
Old 02-05-2008 | 12:36 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

lol nice thread link.
i like the quote: "be humble, but never apologize for it".

if they don't like it? f**k em.
havn't ran into that problem in a long time tho cause in Toronto a stock 996 in silver gets zero attention. and if you've got mods..well..then they know ur serious about cars. win win.

Worst than strangers though are sometimes your best friends who keep using it as a peg leg to act as if they're baller or something even though they drive cars that are perfectly fine of their own accord"

- No i will not bring my car and park it infront of your all night house kegger with you're buddy's beemer and STi just so that you can "ball out of control".
- No you cannot borrow it to show off for your date....unless she has a hot sister for me.
- Please stop bringing it up in every automotive discussion, it isn't necessary dammit and makes you look like a putz and me by association.
- Stop showing off my car more than i do.
- You cannot drive it till you can learn to shift a 6speed without grinding every god damned shift.

-
Old 02-05-2008 | 12:36 PM
vrinner
Advanced

I get crap from just about everyone with my '02 that I bought used. I drove the car to one of my clients in a small office for the first time and got in the office early before anyone else. I was working in the back office and as people came in they kept on saying things each other about who got the Porsche, I finally spoke up and said it was mine, and then they said they paid me to much. Later that day the office manager called me and said that everyone was telling the president of the company that they were paying me to much and he said, "He works hard for his f#$*ing money, good for him!"

A couple of car buddies saw me at the race track with the car for the first time and started giving me crap, and he asked, "Honeslty, how many people give you crap for driving this thing? We're all just jealous"

Bottom line for me is that I bought this car as a daily driver after driving for years in a 20 year old car. And like others have said, my '02 cost me less than others at my job who drive high end Mercedes and Lexus'.
Old 02-05-2008 | 12:41 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by carpundit
Garmin Kia - a GPS system available only in crappy Korean cars.

(It's Ghia, fyi.)
Heh thanks for the spelling correction.

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
You could always try to be a bit more warm & fuzzy:

- Are you so small that car ownership is a threat?

- Oh....I'm sorry, you're confusing me with someone who gives a damn about what you think.

- I guess if you actually knew anything, you wouldn't be saying that.

...there's probably more....
Those are warm and fuzzy alright! I agree with everyone and with the quote "Be humble but never apologize for it"
Old 02-05-2008 | 01:37 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

I had some co-workers that went out to check out my car after I got it. I let them sit in it and they asked how much I paid for it. I told them 3k more than that guy paid for his Scion Tc! (although he does get ~5mpg better than me!)
I let anyone drive it that can drive manual and they know I am excited about cars. Also no kids. Everyone at work my age that has kids has no money.
Old 02-05-2008 | 02:31 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
l
havn't ran into that problem in a long time tho cause in Toronto a stock 996 in silver gets zero attention.
-
True, thankfully. I am invisible.

But folks need to confront the truth about this: It's not what you spent on the car. It's the statement people think you intend to make with it. It's like clothing in this sense... you see a guy in a suit, or a guy in a hoodie with baggy pants and Timberland boots, you're not really thinking about what they spent on their clothes. You're thinking about what they're trying to tell you.

Porsche is very unique that way, as a brand. When we do research with consumers on any product, Porsche comes up all the time in projective exercises where people are trying to put their finger on arrogance in a brand's character, and it's one of a small handful of car brands that do.

Blame Arnie Becker.
Old 02-05-2008 | 02:34 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

at the risk of making my ignorance known to the entire community, who is arnie becker?

also..how the hell is it that Porsche is associated with arrogance, but ferrari and lambo's arn't. Is it just the fact that there are more porsche's out there for people to pick on?

Quick Reply: How do you handle the guilt?