Sponsored by:

How do you handle the guilt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
To Rennlisters,? Absolutely. To my mother-in-law? Nope. If you showed her a picture of a $190k GT2 in black, she'd SWEAR that that was the car parked in my garage.
+1

P-car guys know I have a plain-jane '99 996.
Car guys know I have one of those 911's that looks like a Boxster from the front.
But my wife, my mother-in-law, and most people on the street can't tell mine from Ben's.

Sorry, Ben. That's just the way it is.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carpundit
+1

P-car guys know I have a plain-jane '99 996.
Car guys know I have one of those 911's that looks like a Boxster from the front.
But my wife, my mother-in-law, and most people on the street can't tell mine from Ben's.

Sorry, Ben. That's just the way it is.
i mean not to say my car's better than yours but damn i don't know about that... but maybe i do ... hair splitting.

and about the aero... the aero bits absolutely make the car. i'd never own a non-aero 911.

as for the honda civic comment... we 996 owners are not one to talk. the honda interior is arguably of greater quality than the 996 interior. i am supremely impressed esp by the new hondas in teh showroom. insanely forward thinking and cool.

more so than the exterior.. dude the 996 interiors... WAHAHAHAHAHA needs serious options checklist help.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
I think that's really a question of taste. The amber lights and the early C4 wheels aside I think the "base" Carrera looks as attractive as the aero version. Someone (not me) could even argue that the aero parts disfigure the car and the "plastic" wing seems cheap like on a Honda.
I've always thought the taco wings looked ridiculous and I'm not sure I'll ever understand why it's so important that the sidemarker lights are clear instead of amber. I think the only reason people change out the amber lights is because it's incredibly easy and they're desperate to modify their car.

That's it! Let me have it! Flame away!
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

straight on rear view i think the widebodies look good enough sans wing (e.g. 993 c4s, 996 c4s, 997S/4S)

any other view, the car looks weak esp profile view since the **** sags

y'all know by now i am a huge aerokit fan esp factory. if i could swing it, i'd most def add the full techart kit to say a 997Turbo with 20s on it lowered. that's like $15-20Gs right there.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i mean not to say my car's better than yours but damn i don't know about that... but maybe i do ... hair splitting.

and about the aero... the aero bits absolutely make the car. i'd never own a non-aero 911.

as for the honda civic comment... we 996 owners are not one to talk. the honda interior is arguably of greater quality than the 996 interior. i am supremely impressed esp by the new hondas in teh showroom. insanely forward thinking and cool.

more so than the exterior.. dude the 996 interiors... WAHAHAHAHAHA needs serious options checklist help.
Kinda hurt my feelings, there, Ben.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

LOL you of all people... incredulity on my part, sir bruce.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
FlashFlash
Advanced

This is something that was always on my mind but never really discussed it. People ask why do you have 4 cars? Well, they are for different purposes. Sedan to see clients, truck to move things, SUV for wife and kids, 996 for fun.
I thought about using the 996 for client visits and selling the sedan but the stigma 'we pay you too much' comes into play. Funny thing is first thing people ask is 'how much did you pay?' or 'how much is it worth?'. I usually reply with 'it's really fun and I just like cars'. Not to be cheaky but just to get more into talking about the car or cars instead of my situation or values of them. It seems to work because most guys like cars and car chat and I always follow up with what do you drive? Sometimes they shock me with something cool, then it starts to get into a fun conversation.

Incident one time way back when I first bought my NSX, I was walking up to my car and turned off the alarm to get into my car and it chirped. A couple of guys were standing around it checking it out. One guy says 'couldn't afford the Ferrari huh?'. I just looked at him with the expression WTF? I had a couple other instances like this and realized it's pretty crazy what people think or say just based on a ride - I pretty much try to ignore it but love to talk to people if they strike up a good car conversation.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
LOL you of all people... incredulity on my part, sir bruce.
Kidding, of course. Dude... it's me.

I know my plain little 996 C2 has mad Porsche soul. And so do you... come on... admit it.... there is a small part of you that would love to roll low-profile, pick the Rolex Submariner over the Breitling, as it were.

I bet when you've got a little grey hair and nothing left to prove, you'll be rockin' the Brioni over whatever glittery clubwear they're selling on Rodeo Drive. Subtle is the new black.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceP
Kidding, of course. Dude... it's me.

I know my plain little 996 C2 has mad Porsche soul. And so do you... come on... admit it.... there is a small part of you that would love to roll low-profile, pick the Rolex Submariner over the Breitling, as it were.

I bet when you've got a little grey hair and nothing left to prove, you'll be rockin' the Brioni over whatever glittery clubwear they're selling on Rodeo Drive. Subtle is the new black.
hmmm a glimmer of hope that someone can relate with me here...

-Just got a Rolex GMT II ceramic in stainless over a Breitling bentley but i do want to get a breitling for certain occassions with leather strap (i love watches and the submariner is too boring, the ceramic gmt2 wears bigger and is shinier and is overall just better made) *the only other watch i own of merit is a speedmaster pro with sapphire back which i've always wanted since i saw apollo13

-Just ordered another suit in charcoal black with peak lapels, slimmer cut with maybe three shirts with a spread collar, french cuffs

-i do wear a whitegold/diamond chain

-i love Nike and would wear track suits all day if i could

-someone let me drive a 964 as i've never driven anything older than a 993 TT/C4S; i really like the "dated" errr timeless 993 interior esp the gauges. very old school.

again bling with limits aka Balanced Bling by Ben
Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Good topic and while I am not a 996 owner I have a few P-cars. I decided long ago the wealth slope is very dynamic and at any point on the curve someone has more and someone has less which for me is OK. One interesting observation I have made is how many "older" Porsche's are being used as daily drivers. Within the 911 family the model changes have been slight over the years so a non enthusiast cannot distinguish a 78 sc from an car 25+ years newer. That being said a tremendous argument can be made for how affordable these cars are with a useful life of say 40+ years.

What really makes me chuckle is that my truck cost as much as many sedans and nips on the heals of some Porsche models. A dear friend of mine introduced me to the mantra: stop living start doing.....
and since then I drive whichever car I feel like whenever I feel like it. and yes I have clients and employees
Old 02-04-2008, 06:58 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghostwriter11
I just bought a 2000 996 C2 -- my first Porsche.

It's eight years old and cost me less than buying a new BMW 3 series or Audi A4, but I still find myself reluctant to tell my friends that I'm driving a Porsche. .... I'm afraid they'll think I'm being a snob.

So far, I've only told 2 friends -- both car guys -- and explained that it's not about acting like a snob or impressing anyone: it's just about driving the best car on the planet.

Anyone else having the same issue??

We had a similar issue when we got our C4S. ...didn't want to tell anyone or take it out during the daytime for similar reasons you noted above. Eventually it will set in and you will feel comfortable with it. I believe once you do, your neighbors/friends/family will feel comfortable thinking of you as a snob as well... j/k!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

i think it's all about the person. for example, when someone drives by you say in a ferrari enzo, you know the car, but you look right at the person. you wanna see who's driving that pos?

when i see an older gentleman in a nice ride like above, i'm like that's awesome play on playa you got great taste, flaunt it. now say i saw a high school kid in a ferrari F430 i'll be like, your daddy must really like you to either let you drive his car, or buy you that car, but i will give him props regardless as the car is awesome. i remember, actively try to figure out who's driving it. i'm sure you guys can relate.

so yea, i tend to have my music up and hat backwards cuz when i'm driving this thing i like to drive it when i can kick back and relax. i don't like so much driving it for work functions cuz i'm just focused, on point to get the job done and usually wearing different clothes, but perhaps same music.

so people perceive me diff.. they don't know me and that's just fine and dandy.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:59 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

i stopped apologizing for my just rewards due to my own hard work a long time ago.
bought my first p-car ( 87 911 )13yrs. ago.
am currently driving a 2000 996.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:08 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I get various comments from various people. Many of my 'collegues' know i track my Porsches and totally get it about me loving the mark (no cue button...yes tim.....still...my left shift key is out too now, so i'm giving up on most of my capitals too...ughhh) and the history and general feel of these cars, not to mention the club atmosphere and cameroderie (sp?). When i got my 4S...one of my friends says....'everyone is wondering how you got this car'....i'm the first to say i got a slammin deal, and it's the only car i own now as opposed to 3 last year. sold my '85 targa as it was not getting out anymore, and when i turned in the 3 series at the lease end...i didn't bother getting another car. So....i'm way ahead of the game financially, especially with no lease anymore. people tend to get that....it's simple math especially when you factor in insurance.

i have pictures of me on the racetrack hanging in my office...clients ALWAYS comment on them...and ask...'is that your car?' and i proudly answer yes...but that i recently sold the car. also, when i get retained...there is a clause that advises them about my representations. in simple language, i advise them 'i've made no promises as to the outcome of your case....i cannot tell the future....but if i could...i'd play mega millions once...just once, and fix cars for a living' they all love that...and then they get that i'm an enthusiast and not just a flashy snob. it's the truth...i simply just love porsches and what they mean...and all they signify. i've never bonded with any other car the way i do with the porsches. a very special breed. i would imagine f cars and other super exotics are very similar.

j
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^should we start a rennlist donation thread to buy JBRipps a new keyboard?

Quick Reply: How do you handle the guilt?