How do you handle the guilt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Guilt?? I think not. Get over it.
Oh, I'm with you, but that's easier said than done when the people you rely on for your income think you don't need the money. Until I stopped driving "boring" cars, I had no idea that people were so interested in my sports car hobby, but it sure perks their ears up when someone mentions "Porsche".

Hell, even worse than that is that you're seemingly not allowed to pronounce the WORD properly in Iowa, lest they think you're a snob. I sometimes think I spend so much time on RL because I really only have one friend that "gets" it. He's currently Elise shopping, so hopefully we can be snobs together.

Yeah, like anyone in Iowa will know what a Lotus is...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:02 AM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jealous - Period

I'm glad people talk about this because I have gone through every step of the feelings over the years. I started out 22 years ago sleeping in my car ($300 VW Bug) to driving porsches. I love the cars - period. I've worked extremely hard and have made the money to buy any car "I want" versus what society says I should have.

I refuse to let anyone steal my joy or happiness, no matter if I have a rude clerk at a convenience store or a jerk cutting me off in traffic because he doesn't like the car.

In short. I own the car - and I own it.

I don't get a whole lot of grief over my car in the area I live, because a large share make more than I do, have bigger, better toys etc...it's life. But you drive into some of the suburbs and joe-shmo is struggling to pay college tuitions and braces for the three kids and they know that they would love to go for a weekend getaway in a porsche, but it will never happen. They are Jealous - period.

Be thankful for what you have, but realize life is short and things in life change. What you have now, may not be what you have tomorrow. Enjoy it while you can and just smile when that guy gives you the disgusted look at the stop light. It will kill him even more.
The following users liked this post:
sexfiend (12-19-2019)
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always give the same answer, 'it is a matter of priorities'.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM
apterr
Racer

I enjoyed reading the posts on this subject. I have not yet driven the car to a client's office however I have felt a societal change happen when I drive the different vehicles we own. Ie. Porsche at a red light.... favorable looks from the car next to me (girl or guy). Wife's Saturn Aura at a red light... somewhat favorable looks. My '04 Tahoe at red light...neutral looks (I am sitting way above them, which strangely enough I like, so i put this vehicle in the favorable feeling column). My 1997 Suburban with a snow plow on it at a red light... UNfavorable looks. It makes me think about how superficial people are. One time I was driving like I usually do in the Porsche or the Aura. I gave a tiny head nod and smile, to someone next to me.... then I realized I was in the Suburban. I laughed at myself for ME acting different! Amazing how what I drive affects the other person and it affects me too.
Andy T
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I found my 996 on eBay and it was in Philadelphia. I asked my best customer who lives in the area if he'd test drive it for me, so he was instrumental in my purchase decision. He never expressed any concern that I was making too much money from him.

I make it a point to take customers out to lunch in the P-car, and most often insist that they drive and enjoy it too. I can't say I've had any negative comments, but my customer is in aerospace so they're into rockets and things that go fast. When I won a Hummer in a sales contest at work, every one of my customers felt like they owned a piece of it, as their purchases helped put tokens in the raffle. I take a group out to lunch monthly and each one of them has now driven it, and they love it.

Feeling guilty for indulging in one of life's great pleasures isn't for me. Like many have expressed in this thread, I've worked hard to get to this point in my life where I can pay cash for one of these cars and drive it on a regular basis.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:09 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I work for the family healthcare business. Even though our clients (doctors and administrators) rarely get to see what I drive I do have the occasional meeting at their offices which are retail fronts for Internal Medicine and Family Practice physicians.

Right now I'm daily in an 02 M5 looking for another 911 (993 or 996). It's cheaper than some clients Honda Pilots and Tahoes but I'm conflicted. I'd love to get another 911 but who knows what they would think then.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a cute thread and all, but the hater mentality that others have of you driving your 911 have been reciprocated in a sense by some of you here based on my readings.

So I'm just saying, none of us are immune from being jealous and casting judgement on others by the things they drive, wear (ahem my old avatar), etc.

It runs all along the same vein, fellas, so don't be too harsh on others cuz I know you "can relate".

As for my car, I have no problems driving it to work, in front of clients, whatever and my car is damn flashy, flashier than 99% of the 911s out there. I just don't drive it cuz it's not comfortable to drive for work functions. First date? Hell yea I'll drive it. The world does not revolve around me or my car or my other worldly possessions.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
This is a cute thread and all, but the hater mentality that others have of you driving your 911 have been reciprocated in a sense by some of you here based on my readings.

So I'm just saying, none of us are immune from being jealous and casting judgement on others by the things they drive, wear (ahem my old avatar), etc.

It runs all along the same vein, fellas, so don't be too harsh on others cuz I know you "can relate".

As for my car, I have no problems driving it to work, in front of clients, whatever and my car is damn flashy, flashier than 99% of the 911s out there. I just don't drive it cuz it's not comfortable to drive for work functions. First date? Hell yea I'll drive it. The world does not revolve around me or my car or my other worldly possessions.
Wow, I actually agree with Ben...
Is there snow in hell??
Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

sounds like there is now M-Geezy!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This is especially funny for a Canadian. I always thought we had the market cornered on "Who do you think you are?" types, and that Americans were more likely to cheer on the successful capitalist. Maybe we're not so different.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by an02boxster
I always give the same answer, 'it is a matter of priorities'.
My boss frequently says to other co-workers: "Oh and he's driving a Porsche!" I always reply the same way: "Yes, but I didn't buy a $1m house at the peak of the real estate market."
Old 02-04-2008, 12:34 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
I always reply the same way: "Yes, but I didn't buy a $1m house at the peak of the real estate market."
To which you might add, "... with the bank's money. So thanks for pushing the global economy into a recession. Hope the guy who buys your house in the foreclosure sale enjoys your heated three-car garage."

Do I sound grumpy about the stock market? Naaaaahhhh....
Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Guilty? Just a little. It's funny what responses this car has generated, even from a friend who just purchased a the V10 Toureg(spelling?)--must have been more than my used 996. I even have had people ask the price while filling up at a gas station. Also have people wanting to race at stop signs.

On the other hand, I told a very active 70+ year old friend of mine that I was looking at a 911. He told me that he has had 3, and each one has added 10 years to his life! I sent him a note and a photo with "10 years and counting" About 8 years ago my wife had the "2 years to live" talk with her doctor. Well after a few months at the Mayo (amazing, by the way) she is healthy and feeling great. We did, however, change priorities a little to have more fun now and save a little less for later . . .
Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm usually a passive observer on these foums but couldn't hold back on this one.

I recently picked up my second 911, a 2003 C4S Tip so that my wife can experience the pure enjoyment of these cars

I have never had a perception problem driving my 1980 SC. I find that owning an older model creates an impression of my being an enthusiast, or experiencing a midlife crisis. That doesn't necessarily apply with a late-model Porsche, and I agree that perception can be tough to deal with at times.

If I choose to drive a high-end sports car and live in a tar-paper shack to be able to afford it, that's my personal decision. I have loved cars ever since I was a small kid and if I have the opportunity to own & drive a 911 while making ends meet, I am going to do so while I can.

So would I visit clients with it? Not likely, since too many people associate cars with status, and my nature is to avoid offending others. But what I don't get is people who mistakenly assume that a 4 year-old Porsche is still much more expensive than a new family sedan. In fact, what I paid for my C4S (in Cdn $) is roughly equivalent to a new, loaded-up Camry or Accord - and I certainly wouldn't get attitude with either of those mainstream cars. The notion that someone who drives a Porsche isn't as "sensible" as the next person escapes me, especially since these cars were designed to be driven (hard) daily.

When it comes to my cars, I just refuse to base my decisions on what others may think. Those who see a car simply as a necessary expense or means of transportation may buy whatever they like. Those of us for whom cars are a passion should be able to do the same. People who know me, know why I drive what I drive...I don't have time nor the patience to explain it to the rest. In the end, people will form their own opinions regardless of how the rationale is explained to them.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:42 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Oh, I'm with you, but that's easier said than done when the people you rely on for your income think you don't need the money. Until I stopped driving "boring" cars, I had no idea that people were so interested in my sports car hobby, but it sure perks their ears up when someone mentions "Porsche".

Hell, even worse than that is that you're seemingly not allowed to pronounce the WORD properly in Iowa, lest they think you're a snob. I sometimes think I spend so much time on RL because I really only have one friend that "gets" it. He's currently Elise shopping, so hopefully we can be snobs together.

Yeah, like anyone in Iowa will know what a Lotus is...
Isn't that a software package the can do spreadsheets, database functions, and graphs?

Quick Reply: How do you handle the guilt?