Sponsored by:

How do you handle the guilt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:19 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this poster above my desk in my office to explain the car.

And that is what I do when I need to relax in the middle of a bad day.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:14 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I love Miami. I was at the Delano Hotel last Tues. Saw a Phantom roll by and a red F430 driven by a young dude. Sounded fuqin siq. The scenery at Delano was great, too. Definitely had a blast there just chillin'.

Ben....I was there recently...serious scene. The drapes are so Miami Vice. We ate at the Blue Door, which is in that hotel. Very good meal, very sceny. The back pool area is off the hook...lol. We stayed at the Clinton...cool little hotel with leather and lace as it's theme. Also ate at another hot place called Tantra a few years back...not sure if it's open still. Totally cheesy overpriced place that played the movie KAMA SUTRA on a screen that hung on the main wall in the restaurant....

jbiggie
Old 02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostwriter11
I just bought a 2000 996 C2 -- my first Porsche.

It's eight years old and cost me less than buying a new BMW 3 series or Audi A4, but I still find myself reluctant to tell my friends that I'm driving a Porsche. .... I'm afraid they'll think I'm being a snob.

So far, I've only told 2 friends -- both car guys -- and explained that it's not about acting like a snob or impressing anyone: it's just about driving the best car on the planet.

Anyone else having the same issue??

Seems like everyone is judging nowadays...just drive ur car and enjoy. As long as you are happy, let em' judge.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
NYC with Benjamin Choi and riad? I'd pay to see that. Like some kind of coolness cage match.
Nah, I'm usually in bed by 10... how cool is that?

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Don't tell Riad's wife!
I think she'll notice the hookers.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
NYC with Benjamin Choi and riad? I'd pay to see that. Like some kind of coolness cage match.
i can follow the pecking order, rennlist protocol here. i dont' care get into no cage against the legend that is riad my cousin works for the UN in NYC - been meaning to make a visit, but avoiding winter time at all costs.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Ben....I was there recently...serious scene. The drapes are so Miami Vice. We ate at the Blue Door, which is in that hotel. Very good meal, very sceny. The back pool area is off the hook...lol. We stayed at the Clinton...cool little hotel with leather and lace as it's theme. Also ate at another hot place called Tantra a few years back...not sure if it's open still. Totally cheesy overpriced place that played the movie KAMA SUTRA on a screen that hung on the main wall in the restaurant....

jbiggie
my boy j-beezy checking out all the south beach breezies

siq siq ambiance - i love it. BOSS. Rick Ross. i'm the fuqin' future sucka what you can't see the facts?

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 02-09-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Nifty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vove
Seems like everyone is judging nowadays...just drive ur car and enjoy. As long as you are happy, let em' judge.

Not only is everyone judging everyone else, people are passing their own unhappiness off on people around them. This is long but makes the point.

A few years ago I bought a used CPO BMW. The previous owner was an older doctor and had taken real good care of it. I paid 24k for it.

A few weeks later we were waiting to start a meeting and discussing reimbursements. I was pointing out all the out of pocket expenses I was running into during travel when one woman fired off the following comment I will never forget...

"You already drive a BMW, it's not going to kill you."

Everyone in that room was in a car that cost just as much or MORE than that BMW. Hell, the idiot that made the comment had a relatively new Avalon that was at least 30k.

Sad part is, and I learned this a lot later, was that they always had money at the end of the fiscal year they could pay out to employees for going above and beyond. The manager however, would pick who she thought "needed" it the most based on what neighborhood they lived in and stuff like that.

And of course, the witch who made the comment about my car, was her go-to point person. Divorced, always pissed at everyone, making the rules up as she goes.

I was looking for another job and just figured it was pointless to make an issue about this, but I did manage to have a little fun before I got out of there.

I got a 530 loaner that the dealer had just rolled off the truck right after a service snafu. No ad logo yet and the window sticker was still there - 53k and change. So I drove it up to work and parked in the most obvious place, right next to where the smokers had to go- and they were there when I arrived.

Talk about miserable. The receptionist was a good friend and told me about all the gossip going around about my "new car". People wondered if my wife got a promotion, did someone die, what was I really making? Pathetic.

I got my own car back the next day, we're in our staff meeting again and the same witch asked me if my wife was driving the white BMW today. I asked her if there was a "car watch" going on, the told her in front of everyone it was a loaner, and explained what happened with my own car.

"Why didn't you tell people that yesterday?" she asked.

I answered in front of everyone calmly - to paraphrase: "Why should I have to tell people anything? Are people that concerned over what I drive? Certainly we aren't petty enough to make decisions based on what someone drives or where they live - or are we?" Then I pointed out if I had 30k I would have bought an Avalon like hers, instead of getting a used BMW for 23k.

- Silence -
Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well.... there is a reason I don't drive my Ferrari to work.....

As it is with the p-car people are already talking ****.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:44 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Well.... there is a reason I don't drive my Ferrari to work.....

As it is with the p-car people are already talking ****.
the F is an attention Ho. I have yet to take it to the hospital....maybe on a weekend day shift....maybe not
Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

guilt what guilt ? on my 9th Pcar in 18 years. let the loosers drool.

Quick Reply: How do you handle the guilt?