SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by iJeremy
arrOgant finds it "sad." ... Noted.
Hah!! It IS sad! Probably hurt his dads feelings, too!

Nonetheless, thanks for noting it.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrapped my first Porsche around a tree at the age of 17 and 10 months.....luckily it was a P and not a Japanese piece of crap..because I probably would have been dead!

I don't know anything about the NSX (besides that I never really liked them...but that is personal and I am not 19)....if you got the cash to get your kid a sports car...why the hell not!! Make sure you keep on telling him everyday to be careful (he will tell you : yeah yeah yeah.....) but in the back of his head he will think about your words when his right foot gets itchy.

Damn saying no to a Porsche 911 Targa.....WOW.....for a Japanese piece of crap (sorry) ..maybe he watched the fast and the furious Tokyo drift too many times!!

Tell a girl I got a 911 and he will have a 3rd base date....tell her I got a honda and she will give him a peck on the cheek!!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I have extensive seat time in both cars and hands down, the 996 would be my choice. The German build quality is far better and the car has a much more solid feel. I would certainly be more concerned with safety issues, maintinance and service as it sounds like ultimately this is all comming out of your pocket. Whatever the decision is, keep your son safe and teach him to respect any car, especially those capible of 150+ mph. It would truely be tragic to look back on this thread one day and know you could have made a different choice.
I'll put my bets on the Japanese for build quality over the Germans any day of the week. Driving dynamics is still squarely in the German court, though.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

japanese build quality??? you got to be ****ting me???? I had a Honda and the seat didn't even last for 24K miles...and I am not overweight! I had to replace brakepads and calipers within 20K miles and I didn't drive that fast or brake that hard. The paint started to go after 18K miles here in SOCAL...but the car was sitting in the shadow most of the times.....mileage sucked and the interior rattled as loud as my 8 year old 996 cab does....and the Honda wasn't a cab or convertable......japanese build quality....yeah maybe a Lexus! or a NSX, but overal Japanese cars suck as much as the build quality of american cars!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:08 PM
gerhard951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

When I was 17 I wanted a Mustang and my Dad gave me his 74 sun bug that he had as a winter beater so his targa stayed warm. I was more than happy driving down the road. After that I got a 280zx. I just bought an 88 944 garden variety completely stock for the teenager learning to drive in our house...if the cars survives him than the next boy(12 now ) will get to drive it....160 horses at best...people think you are crazt giving a kid a porsche....you must teach them to respect it and the road....of course a high performance driving school will be attended and some car control and autox's to teach. New freakin hondas have more hp and torque, also good idea to teach them how to work on their own wheels.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:16 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
japanese build quality??? you got to be ****ting me???? I had a Honda and the seat didn't even last for 24K miles...and I am not overweight! I had to replace brakepads and calipers within 20K miles and I didn't drive that fast or brake that hard. The paint started to go after 18K miles here in SOCAL...but the car was sitting in the shadow most of the times.....mileage sucked and the interior rattled as loud as my 8 year old 996 cab does....and the Honda wasn't a cab or convertable......japanese build quality....yeah maybe a Lexus! or a NSX, but overal Japanese cars suck as much as the build quality of american cars!
<shrug> ...and I've got a '95 Mazda, a '96 Nissan, and an '03 Infiniti that have required exactly $93 in unexpected work (clutch slave cylinder on the Miata) over the course of 283k miles. OTOH, the German needed $223 to regain access to the stuck trunk and...$12k worth of new motor at 43k miles.

I'll stick with the Japanese on the reliability thing, and I'm not sure that many would disagree. They sure don't feel like a P-car, though...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:37 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I bet this is what he said to all his friends - ya, my dad was gonna give me his 2003 911 Targa, with all the mods, his pride 'n joy, I turned him down. I'm holdin' out for something better, maybe a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, but I'd settle for an NSX!

arrOgant finds it "sad." ... Noted.
Oh, and Jeremy, one more thing, from the looks of the name of the thread, his dad doesn't seem real thrilled about the fact his son DOES NOT even want his car!!!! SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(
Old 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Mods....just close this damn thread already...or move it to off-topic.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Wow!! Just reading this waiting for my flight back to the States.

Rick, who I have met, is a great guy and an excellent dad. I will support whichever decision you make. Your son has been driving a GTI for a few years and probably understands fast cars. He is now going to be driving a faster car. He should understand that driving is a privilage.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Buy him a ferrari 360.....if for no other reason than to prove a point. it's torqueless and slow so he'll be pretty safe too
Old 02-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

wow, i cant belive this is still going on, unsubscribe....
Old 02-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

osama bin laden drives an NSX....if your son gets one, he'll be supporting terrorism
Fight terrorism, buy 996's.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

the only thing osama would be driving would be a toyota hi-lux with an optional maching gun in the bed.

I dont think NSX's work so well in the caves where that guy lives
Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your son is young so his ignorance can be forgiven. jk

Hell, I'd take a Boxster or a Cayman over an NSX. That being said I'm sure among a younger Fast and Furious type of crowd the NSX may very well win the popularity contest.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Your son is young so his ignorance can be forgiven. jk

Hell, I'd take a Boxster or a Cayman over an NSX. That being said I'm sure among a younger Fast and Furious type of crowd the NSX may very well win the popularity contest.
cayman vs and NSX would be interesting. they have VERY similar specs.
do you know what the cayman weighs off the top of your head by any chance?

Quick Reply: SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(