Sponsored by:

OMFG! WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008 | 02:42 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

I parked in a public lot, where there was some construction going on. The construction was shutdown for the weekend, and there wasn't any debris in the area. They had construction barriers made of "saw horses", and I chose a nice spot-and-a-half next to one of these barriers, thinking I would allow myself extra room without the risk of pissing anyone off. I came back from lunch to find the saw horse sitting on my car. Apparently someone clipped it and drug it along, up onto my rear quarter. The damage was minimal, and has since been completely repaired with some other work I had done. But it just goes to show you can't always avoid the idiots. (Unless you avoid parking in public places altogether.)
Old 01-27-2008 | 03:05 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

LOL!! That's funny, the exact same thing happened to me. I watched him as I ate at a local pizza jont. The guy was at least 350lbs and 6'7". He left before I finished eating so it was no big deal.

Originally Posted by hamilton
So I come out of the mall last night and find this:

I wait around for a few minutes and go find security to see if they can page this **** who can't park. They can't page people but are shocked, as is EVERYONE who walks by. Finally, as I'm about to call a tow truck, this completely oblivious guy comes out of the mall, walking toward the minivan. And suddenly, it is all clear to me.

He weighs about 350 pounds. He parked like this because it was the only way he could leave enough room for him to get in and out of his van. So I got a "sorry" before he nearly T-boned a pickup truck backing out. Fortunately, no scratches on the car.

Old 01-27-2008 | 03:20 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

I don't have faith in people in general. I don't park my car anywhere. I have a daily driver for mall trips and other errants. They can ding the **** out of my 2007 GMC Sierra, its just a POS truck. Funny though, the truck has no dings. People go out of there way to be asses to Porsches.
Old 01-27-2008 | 04:18 PM
951sickness
Instructor

Originally Posted by NOBY
I always park in the middle of two slots =)
That is very risky in areas where parking is scarce. Your paint is at a much higher risk of getting pinstripe courtesy of a key.
Old 01-27-2008 | 09:35 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Fat people are so insensitive.
Old 01-27-2008 | 10:22 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

wow...that's pretty close. i'm thinking i could have negotiated the car right outta that spot. lil back and forth....the mirrors are a wonderful tool. when i pull into my garage each day....i just barely hit the mirror on my side...which leaves about an inch or two for the rear to fit thru (widebody here). Gotta use the mirrors when i back out, but even an inch seems like plenty sometimes as long as you can see the gap rather than guessing it by peering over your shoulder.

Very rare for me to park in a regular spot....i don't mind the extra walking. 9 months with my daily driver...not one ding on it....knocking on wood as i type this....

j
Old 01-28-2008 | 12:07 AM
bmartini
Instructor

that's hilarious. some people just have no respect. that guy sounds like he should have a handicap placard, it's better for everyone that way. i had an idiot bang the drivers door of his bucket right into my old 993 while i was sitting in the car and he chipped my freaking paint. when i got out and confronted him a second after it happened, he denied it like i was crazy. oh well.... what can you do? file an insurance claim for a paint chip? having the whole panel sanded and painted would devalue the car more than just leaving it as is, right?
Old 01-28-2008 | 12:20 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

i'd be pissed like you, would wait for a minute or two and just take off and get over it. i'd feel bad about the heavy guy tho so that would actually make it easier to get over. fat people are human too.

i too don't like parking in public as i end up with dings ($150 so far spent undinging) but hey it's something you just do and live with.

the thing i am paranoid about is someone keying my **** up
Old 01-28-2008 | 12:39 AM
programmatore
Drifting

I had the same thing happen to me over the holidays. My buddy and I went to Best Buy after work for some last minute shopping and found a Ford Excursion parked about a foot from my car when we got out of the store. I ended up having to put the convertible top down and climbing in to the car.

Some kids who were admiring my car as we were walking out of the store started laughing when they saw me climbing in, which made me and my buddy laugh. That sort of helped lighten the mood and probably spared that bastard's Excursion from getting keyed.
Old 01-28-2008 | 12:45 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

One time I inattentively parked too close to the next parking space that someone thought I wanted to take 2 spaces and keep someone else to park next to me... Well I got a nasty little note on my windshield, and very glad that I escaped the keying punishment, Oofff... Now I just park as center to my spot as possioble and hope for the same of the next 2 cars around me.
Old 01-28-2008 | 12:03 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

I am the guy that parks far far away.........just to avoid the "way too close proximity issue", the anger/hostility and the anxiety of when and if a idiot does exactly this.
Or I try to find other sports cars to park next to...the owners seems to share my attitude
Old 01-28-2008 | 12:07 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Wow...
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2008 | 12:47 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hard to believe but most people are completely unware or can careless what kind of car you drive. To them car doesn't mean anything, just a box with 4 wheels.
Old 01-28-2008 | 01:14 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

For as careful as I am when I park, I'm still surprised at the number of people that refuse to drive their car somewhere out of fear that it will be damaged. If my 996 didn't go anywhere where it could be damaged, it probably wouldn't ever get driven.
Old 01-28-2008 | 01:16 PM
Tippy
Race Car

I had a girlfriend who would lean her door on someones elses car and she thought it was not a big deal. As she was getting in of course, the door would be scraping up and down on the other car. She would not listen to me........it started many a fights.........

Quick Reply: OMFG! WTF?