OMFG! WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 AM
hamilton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMFG! WTF?

So I come out of the mall last night and find this:

I wait around for a few minutes and go find security to see if they can page this **** who can't park. They can't page people but are shocked, as is EVERYONE who walks by. Finally, as I'm about to call a tow truck, this completely oblivious guy comes out of the mall, walking toward the minivan. And suddenly, it is all clear to me.

He weighs about 350 pounds. He parked like this because it was the only way he could leave enough room for him to get in and out of his van. So I got a "sorry" before he nearly T-boned a pickup truck backing out. Fortunately, no scratches on the car.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Ouch! Was your only option to park in the "regular" spaces? I'm not sure you'd ever be able to get a picture of my P-car in a public parking lot with another car near it. It's worth the walk to not come out to find something like this.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM
hamilton
Instructor

My theory is that I'm more likely to be keyed by people "teaching me a lesson" if I park far away. So I just try to find a comfy space in the normal part of the lot.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 PM
NOBY
Pro

I always park in the middle of two slots =)
Old 01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
99C2
Instructor

Originally Posted by hamilton
So I come out of the mall last night and find this:

I wait around for a few minutes and go find security to see if they can page this **** who can't park. They can't page people but are shocked, as is EVERYONE who walks by. Finally, as I'm about to call a tow truck, this completely oblivious guy comes out of the mall, walking toward the minivan. And suddenly, it is all clear to me.

He weighs about 350 pounds. He parked like this because it was the only way he could leave enough room for him to get in and out of his van. So I got a "sorry" before he nearly T-boned a pickup truck backing out. Fortunately, no scratches on the car.

Wow:

My biggest fear when I take the 996 out. If I go to a Mall or anything I am the one way out there in the middle of nowhere. I do get concerned that some some smartas will come along and key me.

But I have to say I never really take the 996 out to a place where I cannot kep a close eye on her. Freaks me out and I really do not enjoy a trip to the Mall or even restruants.

I'm sure Therapy can help me - Ha! Not!

99C2
Old 01-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My theory is that I'm more likely to be keyed by people "teaching me a lesson" if I park far away. So I just try to find a comfy space in the normal part of the lot.
I think there are far more people out there whose lack of attention can produce door dings than those who hate enough to key cars/damage one's personal property.
Glad you escaped undamaged.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:17 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't have gotten all flustered about it and waited around. Sure the guy is a jerk, but you could have simply gotton in the passenger side and driven away and moved on with your life.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:18 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

I saw someone open their car door so hard yesterday that it hit the car next to it and set the alarm off.
What is it with these people?
Glad your car was ok.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I wouldn't have gotten all flustered about it and waited around. Sure the guy is a jerk, but you could have simply gotton in the passenger side and driven away and moved on with your life.
Yup...sometimes it is not worth it getting into an altercation or simply wasting 5 minutes of your life...hell, 5 minutes or even 10 can go a long way...LOL!!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:30 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sure the guy is a jerk, but you could have simply gotton in the passenger side and driven away and moved on with your life.
Have you actually tried to do this before? Maybe crawling thru the sun roof would be easier
Old 01-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree - doesn't sound like this guy was looking to do any damage. That's why I tend to park any of my cars "in the next county" as my wife would say. I posted last year about a guy who purposely put his pickup about 6" from my 4S while I was parked at a Starbucks. He got really pissy when I even questioned him about it and seemed ready to fight - I'm little, so he would have killed me. Fortunately, no damage to the P-car. There are just so many jerks out there.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:41 PM
hamilton
Instructor

Except I was boxed in. I could not have backed out if I wanted to. His van was so long and the angle so steep that I was pinned in.

Don't blame the victim.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C2
Wow:

My biggest fear when I take the 996 out. If I go to a Mall or anything I am the one way out there in the middle of nowhere. I do get concerned that some some smartas will come along and key me.

But I have to say I never really take the 996 out to a place where I cannot kep a close eye on her. Freaks me out and I really do not enjoy a trip to the Mall or even restruants.

I'm sure Therapy can help me - Ha! Not!

99C2
Another thing to observe is the incline of the parking lot if it is one that has shopping carts. I stopped at a Home Depot for a quick 5 minutes and parked at the empty end of the lot only to find a cart rammed into my driver's door. It had rolled down hill. (It wasn't a P car but it was a new '99 M Roadster.)

Now I won't stop a a mall with the P Car unless I can find a non parallel parking area that is UPHILL. I actually plan what vehicle to take based on whether or not I have to stop at a store. I know it's crazy but it makes me feel better.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:32 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Perhaps letting the air out of his drivers side tires would have make the mini-van "lean" enough to allow you to back out.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I've parked "in the next county" for years now, and the only way I could see someone key it is if I was taking up more than one space, which I would never do. Actually, I'll be even slightly more "honest"--my parking methodology is almost perfectly described on this site. It wasn't me that wrote it, but I can't argue with what they say!

www.parkingbydesign.com

Quick Reply: OMFG! WTF?