Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by voudous
Sweet looking Turbo ... mileage isn't too bad for an 02

http://luxor-motor-cars.ebizautos.co...o-2622347.html
Sweet....I like it a lot.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback on the seller?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

widebodies will always look better, but the 997 has a more pronounced coke bottle shape a la 993 so it's not a deal killer for me.

just make sure u get one with the factory aerokit. it's a must as your mk1 996 aero looks better than a stock 997. a 997 c4s with factory aerokit has got a killer look. that's the one i'd go for. color backed sport seats. full cf interior. hella tough to find int he used car market the way id want it so u gotta pretty much order one up on your own.

be patient man i know it's hard.. save up some more $ if u have to. i'd rather have a 997 S than a 996 Turbo but know that i'm a lag-hater. the 997 Turbo has lag that i don't like so that should tell u how much i don't like lag ont he 996 tt. 997S though it doesn't have the gt1 engine is sorted out enough and certainly fast enough to get u into plenty o' trouble.

i'm personally going to enjoy my pork4s for a couple more years, but don't get the 996 c4s for $50-60K. you'rek inda in no man's land so i'd rather have u step up than step down. save up some more grizzles. i got love for u so i wanna see you extremely happy.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Steven,

Here are two links. The first one is to a particular car located in Rock Hill, SC which is about 10 miles south of Charlotte, NC. It is listed as a 2004 911 Carrera but is actually a C4S, 12K miles for $54K. It looks pretty good in the ad.

2004 SY C4S

Second link is for a bunch of SY 996's '02 - '04 from cars.com. You might see a couple there that interest you.

996's '02 -'04 SY
Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 60K you might find a decent 996tt, much more fun than a 997S.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:51 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I found 2 997's SY:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...0&cardist=2455

Question: are 997 C2's Wide Body?

I am really starting to like the wide body look and prefer it now.

Unfortunately I cannot stretch beyond 60K
997 is wide body only in C4 configuration and turbo and gt3rs. C2 and C2s etc on 997 are narrow body. BUT, the shape is much more like the 993 like Benjamin said. Looks wise, I would go with the 997 any day BUT, for the budget and sheer bang for your buck you cannot overlook a 996TT. Unlike what Benjamin says about turbo lag, some hate it, others live for it. And with some select mods, the car will keep you smiling always. In fact if you like modifying, you will not believe what can be done to the 996TT. Just check out what the guys on 6speedonline do to their cars!!! There are cars pushing way over 800bhp there. Mine was for a time very highly tuned but now is down to a very reliable 600 odd bhp. And its plain FUN!

And the fact remains, you pull up alongside a guy driving a brand new 997NA standard, and you are in your (older) 996TT, and he knows you can spank him silly- the 997 may be newer but it will always in standard form be under the pecking order You wouldnt believe the number of times I see a stunning 997 driving hard on the road, when I hit my 1.1bar boost and reel him in he will much more often than not suddenly start driving very sedately.... thats quite fun (although admittedly quite childish and meaningless)!!!

Last edited by Harold; 02-03-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:35 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa! I remember seeing your Speed Yellow 996 at the Carlsen Porsche/Santana RoW meet. It was one damn nice ride. Sorry about your loss.

It will turn out for the best,trust me. I'm the guy who wrecked his Boxster on the freeway at the meet....I had a 99' 986 2.5L 5spd......I now have a 01' 986 S 3.2L 6-spd. Hehehehehehehehe!

Hang in there and everything will turn out well!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve: does your $60K cap include the extra outlay for state tax you'll have to pay? If so, you're close to $5K just in California sales tax unless you can get an invoice that gives you a break....but if you deal thru a dealership, what is.....is. Private party is another matter. If that's the case, you're looking at trying to find something in the $51-53K range to accomodate the tax. Are you considering the X50 or sticking with the TT and flash it? You'd get a better deal on the non X50, but those K24's and the GT2 intercoolers are a nice upgrade that you can include in the purchase price. Right now the bottom is dropping out of the TT market...buyers choice.

That SY turbo you posted looked really nice. All things considered most folks with the 996 are modding them to get more performance out of them...in reality, trying to get as close to a TT in performance as possible. That's what pushed me into the TT after I lost the 996, and I've never looked back....they're so amenable to modding that you can get fantastic gains with very little effort. But you already know all that. I'll be happy to come visit you and let you take my 02TT out for a spin...but there's a downside to that. Once you've done it, you're hooked. Not like a one time weekend "recreational use" of a controlled substance. One "hit" and you're hooked for life.

Hope you continue to mend and are back on your feet with minimal discomfort.

Chuck
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Whoa! I remember seeing your Speed Yellow 996 at the Carlsen Porsche/Santana RoW meet. It was one damn nice ride. Sorry about your loss.

It will turn out for the best,trust me. I'm the guy who wrecked his Boxster on the freeway at the meet....I had a 99' 986 2.5L 5spd......I now have a 01' 986 S 3.2L 6-spd. Hehehehehehehehe!

Hang in there and everything will turn out well!
Thanks and I do remember that day and a shame about what happened to you then. And yes I am going to hang in there and it will work out nice for me. Going to take my time to find the right car like I did last time.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:14 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Steve: does your $60K cap include the extra outlay for state tax you'll have to pay? If so, you're close to $5K just in California sales tax unless you can get an invoice that gives you a break....but if you deal thru a dealership, what is.....is. Private party is another matter. If that's the case, you're looking at trying to find something in the $51-53K range to accomodate the tax. Are you considering the X50 or sticking with the TT and flash it? You'd get a better deal on the non X50, but those K24's and the GT2 intercoolers are a nice upgrade that you can include in the purchase price. Right now the bottom is dropping out of the TT market...buyers choice.

That SY turbo you posted looked really nice. All things considered most folks with the 996 are modding them to get more performance out of them...in reality, trying to get as close to a TT in performance as possible. That's what pushed me into the TT after I lost the 996, and I've never looked back....they're so amenable to modding that you can get fantastic gains with very little effort. But you already know all that. I'll be happy to come visit you and let you take my 02TT out for a spin...but there's a downside to that. Once you've done it, you're hooked. Not like a one time weekend "recreational use" of a controlled substance. One "hit" and you're hooked for life.

Hope you continue to mend and are back on your feet with minimal discomfort.

Chuck
Chuck,

yep the 60K is the cap out the door so I am really looking at 55K or less as you menioned. But I do have a small fund available, an additional up to 5K, to get me a better car if I need it (but I rather leave that for the mods).

Right now I keep going back and forth in my head regarding if I want Power or Wide-Body or Newer.

Power = Turbo but that means a car that is usually a 2001 or 2002
Wide-body = Turbo or C4S. C4S I can creep up to a 2004
Newer = 2005 for sure and 2006's are starting to appear as well now, but these are C2's (2005 and 2006). Some C2S's are starting to creep into my budget as well.

So I am going to be patient about buying the next Speed Demon. It took me several months the last time and unless a deal of the century appears it will be a while before I find the right car again. During that time car prices will continue to go down and so my choices are going to be even better.

I most definately will take you up on your offer to drive your Turbo, but not on any small country roads though OK I will touch base with you about that.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I think patience is the key... but thats a very hard thing to do, lots of good stuff out there... how are you doing btw?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wide body is the way to go. I don't know if I've only seen C4S's in the past few days but...I swear that's all I've seen......Psychological or not. I love wide bodies... No fat jokes folks...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Steven,

Did you ever condiser the 40th anniversary model? I know that they are not speed yellow, but they are a pretty good bargain right now considering that they have the powerkit so you get 350+ HP. I have seen several below your $60K price point.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Steven,

Here is a 2006 with Turbo wheels. I did a nationwide search and this one came up in Charlotte, kinda strange. 16K miles. Not sure the Toyota place realizes what they have. You could try to low ball them. No aero kit though.

2006 SY 997
Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed,
60K is a pretty good war chest to buy another Pcar. My sense is to wait, if you can bear it, until after this summer. That must seem like an eternity, but when the 09's come out, all the prior years take a hit resale wise. In the mean time you can save a few more $$$. For $70K you can get into a real nice 996TT. The other option might be a 996 GT3 if you can find a clean one that hasn't been tracked to death. You might not have as many ponys as a TT but all the suspension is done.

Quick Reply: Goodbye 1999 C2 Speed Yellow Aero