Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Preferred heel and toe technique
Break with ball of foot and blip with heel
16.92%
Break with left side of foot and blip with right side
73.85%
I drive a Tiptronic [clutches? we don't need no stinkin clutches]
5.38%
I don't drive much. Prefer to take artistic photos of my car.
3.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Heel and toe technique

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Poll: Heel and toe technique: FIXED!

OK, a little poll. Reading threads and watching the youtube videos on heel and toe, and the two common techniques. However, I was interested in which is more prevalent with you guys and gals.

I was taught to heel and toe by braking on the left side of my foot and rolling it to blip the throttle. I have also seen the use of the actual heal to blip the throttle.

So my question (and poll if I do it right) is which technique do you prefer?

I WISH I COULD CORRECT MY TYPOS IN THE POLL! (BRAKE VS BREAK) but can't figure out how . . .

Last edited by Jon996; 02-13-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "blip" with the right side is really the proper method in today's cars. The "heel and toe" term started many years ago when many racecars had the throttle sitting several inches lower and between the brake (right) and clutch (left).

The right shoes also help a lot!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
The "blip" with the right side is really the proper method in today's cars. The "heel and toe" term started many years ago when many racecars had the throttle sitting several inches lower and between the brake (right) and clutch (left).

The right shoes also help a lot!
I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. It depends on you and the car. I originally learned the traditional heal and toe method but evolved to more of a side of the foot blip over time. Now in the 997 cup I'm back to the traditional method. With no power assist and no ABS I like having a good solid foot on the brake and I'm very comfortable blipping with my heal.

Correct answer: it depends so get good at both.
Jim
Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Thanks JimB and DFC for taking the time to reply to kind of a dumb question. For some reason with the 996 I do not feel quite as secure using the rolling technique, but agree that it's better with my Piloti's. Just for fun I might order some of the Rennline pedals and extensions. I have an occasional chance to drive around a nice track.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I would echo what Jim says. It all depends on your pedals, your style, and YOUR feet. Personally, i do what I would call a toe-toe. I feel I have much more control of my brake modulation and much more acuity with the throttle rev-matches. That might not work for some but it works great for me.

And Jon...there is no dumb question.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I was pretty good at it with my first "fun" car, an Audi tt turbo I purchased the first year they came out, but different cars really have different feels. (I REALLY do not miss the turbo lag of the Audi tt! Otherwise it was a blast)
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 AM
UFO007
Instructor

I roll the foot. I must admit though that I have had a couple of occasions where I was coming into a corner way too hot with the brakes smoking as I had my foot on both pedals simultaneously. Practice makes perfect.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In the old 911 I gt to the point where I could modulate the throttle and the brake at the same time with one foot...always the left ball of the foot on the brake and the right ball on the throttle. After ten years of owning that car it became first nature, never mind second nature.

I do find the e-throttle lag on the 996 took a lot of getting used to. I had a real hard time at first matching the revs. (the 911 had lightning quick throttle response). The breakthrough on the 996 cam when I moved the seat closer to the pedals.

Anyway back to the point of the poll - I personally never had any luck using the heel on the throttle. But then again I broke my ankle when I was young and it never healed right...nevermind.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Heel and toe is the way to go.

I don't think I could effectively roll my foot to blip the throttle.

Funny you mentioned e-throttle lag, my '99 (mechanical throttle) has excellent throttle response, so fun to heel and toe just because of that quick response (and the great pedal placement and firm brake).
Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Heel and toe is the way to go.

I don't think I could effectively roll my foot to blip the throttle.

Funny you mentioned e-throttle lag, my '99 (mechanical throttle) has excellent throttle response, so fun to heel and toe just because of that quick response (and the great pedal placement and firm brake).
My mate from work (with a 996) and I were just discussing today how in five years or so the 996 will be the perfect Porsche hobby car....like the 911 has been for years. Relatively cheap to own, easy to fix, parts a-plenty.

Anyway - I figured my ideal car is a 1999 996, just because of the cable throttle. Install some PSS9 and sporty swaybars, take out some of the heavier interior bits, install an X51 oil pan (or get a car with a reman engine). Dead cool car.

Sign me up!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:04 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if there is any MOD available to reduce the E throtle lag.
I can only think of LW Fligh wheel, but I wonder if any software upgrade or different parts
replacement exists.
John
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be goofy foot. I brake with the heal and blip with the toe.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:32 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

I wonder if there is any MOD available to reduce the E throtle lag.
I can only think of LW Fligh wheel, but I wonder if any software upgrade or different parts
replacement exists.
John
GIAC Flash I have been told eliminates this I know I do not notice it, but much better drivers out there who also have it who could probably explain it much better than me.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever works.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 AM
smankow
Pro

before I switched to driving shoes (and on the street), I need to use the "roll" technique. On the track with racing shoes, I have to use the "traditional" method since the toe area isn't quite as wide.

And I agree with Jim that it's best to know both methods.

Steve

Quick Reply: Poll: Heel and toe technique