Sponsored by:

Revo software trial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Dude, don't even. I've seen this debate a million times on all kinds of forums, and there's never any objective proof that ever satisfies everybody, including wheel to wheel racing and dyno results. There's always some extenuating "yeah, but...".

Some basic truths:

A product like the GIAC flash does make a difference.

The difference in most driving is more 'felt' than measurable. (These things are supposed to do a lot more than add horsepower, which you can't feel anyway).

If you don't feel it, it's not worth the money. If you do feel it, it is worth the money.

Dass it, dass all.

These products don't make the car 'better' than OEM, they make it different. The tuner might have different priorities about fuel economy, emissions, throttle response, low speed driveability, fuel tolerance, on and on, and a lot of them will be subjective. Think of it like tailoring. To me, this is as legitimately personal as wheel choice is.

no way. wheels you can see. a flash... i bet you that you could not tell the diff in a blind test.

it comes down to a feel good expense. again, i have the giac flash but would never spend $1500 to get it flashed again as i did not feel any sort of difference in this enigma called "throttle response" and butt power gains feel.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
no way. wheels you can see. a flash... i bet you that you could not tell the diff in a blind test.
I just meant that the value is subjective, just the way taste in wheels is.

As for the bet, I'd say this: Disconnect both cars' batteries long enough for the control car's DME to reset to default. THEN flash the test car, and drive both of them right away... washes out the variability that the adaptive DME brings to this kind of thing... and I bet I could tell the difference just fine. I bet you could, too. I'm not saying you'd change your mind about the value, but I'm sure you aren't such a brick-*** that you couldn't sense the change in the car's character.

I'm getting the GIAC in the spring. I had Dinan do my last car. I never claimed that it was faster or better, but I personally enjoyed the difference. It felt stronger on the fuel I used, and it felt more lively because the program didn't have to provide lowest-common-denominator driveability.

Just one of those different strokes things.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

bruce, my **** is tight and sensitive WHAHAHAH and i would be able to tell pls believe. i am in tune with my cars and i'm telling you i'd be the biggest fan of this thing and tell everyone go for it... but alas i have it and i don't think it's doing anything for my car.

maybe my car is a fluke, but i just would never recommend someone spend $1500 for the giac which is one of the more respected brands out there along this front.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Meh... well, I haven't driven the GIAC yet, so who knows. I'm going to do the free trial, so if my experience is the same as yours, then we'll have to conclude that Porsche engineers were once again supreme.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

to the OP,

do you know if REVO does a 91 and 100 octane file?

Thanks,
Chasen
Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already run with stock and modded '02' coups. I'm certainly not going to record such events let alone take my mods of for some useless baseline. lol! The nay sayers are the ones who have absolutely no proof. I've run and dyno'd. Find a stock 996 with a dyno set to SAE with HP and Torque higher than mine while you're at it.

washington, then make me eat crow and prove it by racing pre and then post with another car that's the baseline.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Meh... well, I haven't driven the GIAC yet, so who knows. I'm going to do the free trial, so if my experience is the same as yours, then we'll have to conclude that Porsche engineers were once again supreme.
bruce,
if you have the GIAC done, i'll grab either the softronic or the revo and we can do pulls or i can let you boot around on my car if you'd like.

we both have 3.4 RWD's so it should be pretty comparable.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Originally Posted by chasen1211
to the OP,

do you know if REVO does a 91 and 100 octane file?

Thanks,
Chasen
I'm almost certain they don't offer 100. I only ran 91 for the five hour trial but have to think 100 would have made the program even more effective.
GL
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Find a stock 996 with a dyno set to SAE with HP and Torque higher than mine while you're at it.
do you seriously get any sort of satisfaction making such statements? if so, you need to stop spending so much time with the car and go feed the homeless for a month or something to slap you into reality.

ain't nobody gives a flying fuq about your hp/tq ratings being supposedly higher than anyone else's 911. you gotta be kidding me WHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're taking my statement out of context. The correct context is, "if you don't believe bolt on's work show proof such as a dyno of a stock 996 that is higher than a modded 996. It seems that around here that seat of pants and making alot of internet post is more accurate than dynometers and real life head to head situations."

You're also, misquoting the GIAC Software price. I didn't pay $1500 for mine, but even if that were the case what is $1500 compared to the lavish vacations you take, and the $80,000 car you drive. You **** that kind of money away on drinks alone.

do you seriously get any sort of satisfaction making such statements? if so, you need to stop spending so much time with the car and go feed the homeless for a month or something to slap you into reality.

ain't nobody gives a flying fuq about your hp/tq ratings being supposedly higher than anyone else's 911. you gotta be kidding me WHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Laura
Pro

Chasen,
Revo has files for 91 and 100 octane or the access to the Select Plus (handheld data switch which selects which program that has been previously loaded into the computer will run 91, 93, 100 and assorted other features).

Quick Reply: Revo software trial impressions