Sponsored by:

Revo software trial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Revo software trial impressions

Recently completed a 5 hour trial of Revo software in my MY01 C4 cab. My indie offered the free trial while I was having some work done and I wasn't planning on buying it. Just did it for ****s & giggles and wasn't expecting much besides the higher redline & power band but I was really impressed by the results
I guess since I already did the RSS plenum, K&N CAI & gemballa exhaust for the audible enjoyment that the flash really woke the car up. Much improved throttle response & reved much faster throughout the power band with no noticeable loss in the low end. I have no proof of power gains or ties to REVO but (FWIW) on some 1st to 3rd runs my back end was breaking lose on stretches of road where it's never happened before.
Not trying to spark the age old debate about pros & cons of bolt on mods because it's been beaten to death. Just saying I was surprised by the results & it made my car even more enjoyable to drive.
Since I'm now in the market for software - any opinions floating around on REVO vs some of the other programs on the market?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

giac is a very popular one...... i like mine....
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok, 2 silly questions!
1) what happens after 5 hours...........does the program "self destruct" or do you voluntarily have your car plugged back in to his computer to reset your computer to normal.
2) since the computer is adaptive to our driving habits, what happens when you store the car for the winter. Do you have to drive like a demon in the spring to "wake it up", or is the chip programming automatically starting the car at a higher level of responsiveness.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GIAC allows a trial period. The trial is not free though, I believe you just pay for labor.

Originally Posted by Kolshak
Recently completed a 5 hour trial of Revo software in my MY01 C4 cab. My indie offered the free trial while I was having some work done and I wasn't planning on buying it. Just did it for ****s & giggles and wasn't expecting much besides the higher redline & power band but I was really impressed by the results
I guess since I already did the RSS plenum, K&N CAI & gemballa exhaust for the audible enjoyment that the flash really woke the car up. Much improved throttle response & reved much faster throughout the power band with no noticeable loss in the low end. I have no proof of power gains or ties to REVO but (FWIW) on some 1st to 3rd runs my back end was breaking lose on stretches of road where it's never happened before.
Not trying to spark the age old debate about pros & cons of bolt on mods because it's been beaten to death. Just saying I was surprised by the results & it made my car even more enjoyable to drive.
Since I'm now in the market for software - any opinions floating around on REVO vs some of the other programs on the market?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolshak
it made my car even more enjoyable to drive.
That's the point. I try to avoid the 'horsepower' discussions, since nobody can really feel horsepower anyway, certainly not 10 or 15 of them. Car manufacturers write OEM software to please most of the people most of the time, and run on the worst commonly available fuel. I think sometimes people don't realize a) how many other factors go into this than just power output, and b) how subjective it really is in a lot of ways.

I'm doing the GIAC in the spring. Thanks for your timely post.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:53 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

You may not feel it but you can certainly see it as you pull away from stock 996's.

Originally Posted by BruceP
That's the point. I try to avoid the 'horsepower' discussions, since nobody can really feel horsepower anyway, certainly not 10 or 15 of them. Car manufacturers write OEM software to please most of the people most of the time, and run on the worst commonly available fuel. I think sometimes people don't realize a) how many other factors go into this than just power output, and b) how subjective it really is in a lot of ways.

I'm doing the GIAC in the spring. Thanks for your timely post.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Kolshak
Racer

Originally Posted by pszikla
ok, 2 silly questions!
1) what happens after 5 hours...........does the program "self destruct" or do you voluntarily have your car plugged back in to his computer to reset your computer to normal.
2) since the computer is adaptive to our driving habits, what happens when you store the car for the winter. Do you have to drive like a demon in the spring to "wake it up", or is the chip programming automatically starting the car at a higher level of responsiveness.
1. Program self destructs unfortunately
2. ECU is always set at higher level
Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
3deep
Cruisin'

Giac offers 30 day money back guaranty.Bottom end felt soft with Giac,id like to try Revo.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been poking around other forums and founds that softronic as a popular ECU upgrade on the cayman and turbo boards....its looks interesting, customized for the mods you have...can switch back to stock by yourself...and its price is cheaper than the Giac with the same claimed hp gains. http://www.softronic.us/buynow.php
Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Interesting.. $895 is a little cheaper.

Originally Posted by wlee69
I've been poking around other forums and founds that softronic as a popular ECU upgrade on the cayman and turbo boards....its looks interesting, customized for the mods you have...can switch back to stock by yourself...and its price is cheaper than the Giac with the same claimed hp gains. http://www.softronic.us/buynow.php
Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Interesting.. $895 is a little cheaper.
In my opinion, the prices for Porsche chips (normally aspirated) are outrageous.
If you've got a TT okay, but otherwise $1,000 for what?

I've chipped two 1.8Ts and the bang for the buck is phenomenal.
$400-$500 for 40-50hp.

The chip tuners see Porsche owners coming a mile away....
Old 01-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Kolshak
Racer

wlee69 - have you seen any reviews on softronic by 996 owners? I'd be interested in what caymen owners have to say for comparison with the 996, as opposed to the turbo cars which always get good results from flashes. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I agree.

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
In my opinion, the prices for Porsche chips (normally aspirated) are outrageous.
If you've got a TT okay, but otherwise $1,000 for what?

I've chipped two 1.8Ts and the bang for the buck is phenomenal.
$400-$500 for 40-50hp.

The chip tuners see Porsche owners coming a mile away....
Old 01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

I would like to see a comparison of Softronic, GIAC and Revo on a 996 C2 preferably. Has anyone ever seen this?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
I would like to see a comparison of Softronic, GIAC and Revo on a 996 C2 preferably. Has anyone ever seen this?
That would be great. I remember reading one comparing the Dinan chip to the Conforti Shark chip on a pair of BMW E36s, and it was very clarifying... not about which was best but about how they were different. The quote was, "Conforti for the street, Dinan for the track." I'd love to know that for the 996 options.

Quick Reply: Revo software trial impressions