Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-large
Ben
The PSS9 are on the ground cant go lower in the front

as for the wheels the offsets are driving me nuts... reading post about correct size

oh u are lowered on pss9s, all the more easier for you to make the biggest visualize impact on your ride which is to get a nice set of 19s.

yea, the offsets suck because the wheels are factory. they tuck in like an rv wheel when lowered.

don't bother with spacers. they suck. just get 19s and call it a day. though i have set of perfect OZs for sale, they won't fit your car as they're for c4s/turbo/gt2 fitment.

how about a set of champions? they make perfect 19s for narrowbodies... i believe 11s in the rear. don't go for anything less.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:42 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Jerry,

Since the C4 is a narrow body, I am guessing your wheels are 8" wide with 50mm offset on the front and 10" wide with 65mm offset in the rear. You coupd add 7mm spacers in teh front and 15mm spacers in the rear to get a more agressive look without and rubbing issues.

19" wheels will most likely be heavier than most 18" wheels and the ride will be harsher because of the lower aspect ratio needed for the tires. Additionally, 19" tires will be more expensive and there is not as wide of a selection in 19's as there is in 18's.

If you find some wheels you are interested in (18" or 19"), post the widths and the offsets here and we can help you determine if they will fit properly. This can keep you from making a big mistake $$$ wise.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:47 PM
4-large
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim
That is what I keep reading in regards to the spacers but my front is further away it would need a bigger spacer and the back a smaller one
So what do you think of that?

Jerry
Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 4-large
Tim
That is what I keep reading in regards to the spacers but my front is further away it would need a bigger spacer and the back a smaller one
So what do you think of that?

Jerry
Jerry,

I "think" I understand what you mean when you say "my front is further away it would need a bigger spacer and the back a smaller one." However, if I understand your statement correctly, I believe you actually have that backwards. On a given wheel width, the higher the offset number, the more the wheel will retract toward the center of the car. Three

Changing only the offset - If you have two 8" wide wheels, the 1st wheel has a 50 mm offset and the 2nd wheel has a 65mm offset. The 2nd wheel will RETRACT 15mm toward the center of the car compared to the 1st wheel. This means that relative to the 1st wheel, the outside (face) of the wheel will RETRACT by 15mm and there will be 15mm LESS clearence on the inside of the wheel.

So adding a 7mm spacer to an 8" wide wheel with a 50mm offset would be the same as having a wheel with a 43mm offset. By adding the spacer, the outside of the wheel will EXTEND 7mm more and there will 7mm more clearence on the inside of the wheel.

Changing only the wheel width - If you replace an 8" wheel with an 50mm offset with a 9" wheel with a 50mm offset, the new wheel will EXTEND an additional 13mm compared to the original wheel, and there will be 13mm LESS inside clearence compared to the original 8" wheel.

Changing both wheel width and the offset - It gets a little more complicated if you change both the wheel width and the offset. That is why is is good to have a wheel offset calculator available. This one is very good. Wheel Width & Offset Calculator I would suggest you play with different widths and offsets, using either your front or rear wheel specs as the "current" wheel.

If you already know all of this then I apologize for wasting your time with the length of this post. I hope this has helped. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 PM
4-large
Racer

Tim
Thanks for the info...I do not want to do this twice
If I measure the distance from the wheel to the inside lip of the fenders front and back the back is 1/4" +/- and the front is a 1/2" +/-

Here are some picks from the center of the rim shot strait up...as well as new seats installed

first pic, front
second Pic. rear

So is that 15mm front and 7mm back???
Attached Images    

Last edited by 4-large; 01-13-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

There is more space in front than in the rear, but you also have to remember that your front wheels will be turning. Many guys here have done 7mm spacers in the front and 15mm spacers in the rear without any rubbing issues. I think you "could" do 15mm in the front, but I do not recall anyone doing that.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

spacers this spacers that... if u wanna do it up right, i'm sticking to my guns and recommending that you get a set of lightweight one piece champion wheels with perfect width/offsets so you don't have to go about like a science nerd and measure everything to add something to a car that is in my opinion superfluous.

19s ride harsher.. you guys seriously that old and fragile or am i just a very tolerant, open minded individual?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
4-large
Racer

If I keep these as track tires? I want to get them out, so I will need spacers for them...
the other problem is, If I order 19" I do not want them to look like this,

Tim do you think I might have goofy rim's, with that much space up front or is that usual??

Ben I agree they look like an rv
Old 01-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 PM
4-large
Racer

Just to let you know
Put the seats in the car and well..they will stay, we (wife and I) both like how the car feels
so a stiffer ride is not an issue! right size rims is the issue

jerry
Old 01-13-2008, 11:45 PM
4-large
Racer

Ben what is the ##################
What are my offsets............ offsets that get away with the RV look

J.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

4-large, can't help u there as i have no idea what your stock wheel offsets are, but i'm sure if you do a search you'll find it or just hope someone who does mess around with stock wheels would know (likely gota911, et al).

i'm sure you won't be the first to tack on spacers on stock wheels.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:49 PM
4-large
Racer

Ben

What are my offsets on new 19"?
J.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
spacers this spacers that... if u wanna do it up right, i'm sticking to my guns and recommending that you get a set of lightweight one piece champion wheels with perfect width/offsets so you don't have to go about like a science nerd and measure everything to add something to a car that is in my opinion superfluous.

19s ride harsher.. you guys seriously that old and fragile or am i just a very tolerant, open minded individual?
If all someone wants to do is get a little wider stance and get a little more agressive look to the wheels, why spend $2,500 to $4,000 on new wheels when you can spend a couple hundred on spacers?

19" wheels will ride harsher, there is not doubt about that. Anyone thinking about switching to 19" needs to be aware of that. You "push" for 19" wheels quite often, totally for the "bling bling" factor, but I don't recall you ever mentioning the harsher ride that comes with the 19's. Like many things in life, there are usually trade-offs associated with changes, and there certainly are trade-offs assiciated with going from 18" to 19" wheels. I am just trying to make sure all valid points are brought up so someone can make an informed decision.

Oh Ben, one more thing. Just because I'm older than dirt doesn't mean I don't appreciate good looking wheels!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:06 AM
4-large
Racer

Tim
Do you think I might have goofy rim's, with that much space up front or is that a usual amount of space?? is this a stock set up???( I dont know)... I got the car used so ????

Thanks for your help

jerry

Quick Reply: Misha Wing & Side Skirts, List to date Install