Sponsored by:

DRL using fog lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 AM
cdncanoer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL using fog lamps?

Has anyone ever seen a DIY hack for turning the fog lamps into day time running lights?

I wonder if you just used Yoseif's DRL hack (http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/drl/) for the headlights, only jumped from A6 to the fog lamp fuse (not sure but I think it is A7) instead? I'm not electrical enough to try on my own... anyone done this?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:07 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

My DRL's were done using the fogs. I didn't do it myself, but it's been working flawlessly for a couple of years now.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:29 AM
cdncanoer
Advanced

Phil,

Looks good! Any idea how they did it? I'm really thinking it's as easy as I said in the original post, but I'm afraid to just try it without some more knowledge.

Andrew
Old 01-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

The daylight running lit mod kit that I bought (and have yet to install) is basically a jumper in the fuse box so that when the ignition is on power goes to the lights, by-passing the headlight switch. One challange is that the fuse for the fog lights is for both the fronts and the single rear fog light, thus if you jumper this fuse you would also power up the rear fog light. I guess you could disconnect the rear fog light to avoid this.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:27 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

No, the rear foglight still works independently and doesn't come on with the DRL fogs. I didn't do the DRL mod, SCAN Automotive in N. Vancouver did it (http://www.scanautomotive.com/). Contact James there and he can probably tell you how to do it.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Many DRL implementations use the high beam but at reduced power. Using the high beam reflector assembly and aiming rather than low beam (or fog ???) will give the most far-reaching notice to on-coming vehicles.

I don't understand anyone using the fog lights for DRL effect since fog light aiming and reflector assembly designs results in a LOW and wide beam pattern.

I simply bridged the seat heat power source into the street/parking/tail light circuit and that also illuminated the H6W bulb in the headlight assembly used in europe for DRL effect. I have since replaced the H6W bulbs with 3 watt Luxeon LEDs using a collimator lens to get even more forward light DRL effect.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
BrandX
Instructor

Wwest,

Do you know which fuse that one is? I'm currently using the headlight (low beam) for my DRLs - required here in Canada. I keep thinking I should remove the fuse box jumper, in order to "save" the headlight bulb wear and tear, and just do without, but your implementation sounds interesting.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:06 AM
2fas4u
Instructor

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=cdncanoer;4970832]Has anyone ever seen a DIY hack for turning the fog lamps into day time running lights?

I wonder if you just used Yoseif's DRL hack (http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/drl/) for the headlights, only jumped from A6 to the fog lamp fuse (not sure but I think it is A7) instead? I'm not electrical enough to try on my own... anyone done this?[/QUOTE
Did not do a hack, but I put in brithgter bullbs and just trun them on manually. Boy they look great too!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Pongobaz - I wasn't saying that the DRL's turn on the rear fog. Most DRL's use the headlights. What I was saying was that if one wants to use the fogs as DRL's and use a jumper like most of the DRL's kits do, then the challenge is that the fuse for the fogs controls both the fronts and the single rear fog light. If you jumper that fuse you while illuminate all three fog lights.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:20 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Just found this tread after posting my question. I did not DIY and it came this way with the fog lights as DRL, however when I turn on the headlights the foglights are still on and will not go off. The rear fog lights are alright, off in DRL and can turn on or off with headlights. Is this right or there is a problem?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Beck-haisun
Banned

[B]Summer promotion [B]
Dear sir/madam
We are a one of the leading manufacture and supplier of Car LED in China.Established in 2003 with years of management experience,HAISUN LIGHTING TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD have developing fast in the past years.Our products pass ISO 9001 certification and E-Mark certification.We are cooperation with customers all over the world,such as Europe,America,Middle East.

“Quality is the first,Service is the life” is our company slogan,we are always try to improve our relationship with our customers and cooperation company.Sincerely hope you can visit our website: www.ledlightsfor.com to know more about us and our product.

Quick Reply: DRL using fog lamps?