996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Kind of an urgent alarm question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Kind of an urgent alarm question.

It's going off in the underground parking garage, for no reason.

Just to keep life interesting, I've had the stereo replaced AND a new battery put in this week, both of which could compromise the alarm system. Doing a search here and on Renntech, it seems like there's a chance the alarm could continue to go off even if I leave the car unlocked.

So, my question: Is there an accessible fuse for the alarm system? And if so, does anything terrible happen if I just pull it? Will other stuff be affected somehow?

TIA...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuses B8 and C3 (each 15A) supply the alarm control unit. Obviously, you won't be able to start the car with those removed. Additionally, C3 powers the sunroof, windows, and inside light.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:38 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
Fuses B8 and C3 (each 15A) supply the alarm control unit. Obviously, you won't be able to start the car with those removed. Additionally, C3 powers the sunroof, windows, and inside light.
Thank you for the quick reply. It's very helpful, though not convenient news...

Good thing these cars are so lovable.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem. If your garage security permits, I'd suggest simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal and leaving the hood propped up until you have a chance to take the car back to the audio installer / dealer.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same problem last summer and I became unpopular in my neighborhood very quickly.
Had the codes read and it turned out to be a bad switch or sensor in the center glove compartment.
shortly before the alarm started going off, I 'd replaced the latch for the center console when I installed painted upper & lower consoles. Evidently I did something wrong because the center console wasn't closing correctly and setting off the alarm.
Your stereo installer may have also cut and failed to reattach the wire that alerts the alarm system that your stereo was removed. This causes a "chirp" when you set the alarm & I think could also lead to alarm going off. Do a search for "alarm, chirp, stereo" etc because their are some detailed explanations about how to correct it.
Good luck finding the gremlin
Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Thanks, Kolshak, that lines up with my research. The stereo is an obvious one, yet I had no trouble for the couple of days between the stereo install and the new battery. I'd read that although an aftermarket stereo install can disable that feature of the alarm system, it rarely involves more than hearing a beep when the system is armed and many people just live with it. For some reason, I'm leaning toward the battery installation, which also involved a bunch of investigation to find a mysterious current draw. It started right after that.

Survey says, if my indy has the Durametric PST2 (or PIWIS) tester, we'll know fast what the problem is. If not, then I've got to go to the dealer, and I can't do anything until next week. Drat...

If it's anything interesting, I'll post to share. Thanks, all, for your help.

Quick Reply: Kind of an urgent alarm question.