Pre-Facelift Litronic Retrofit Kit - Pricing And Parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Facelift Litronic Retrofit Kit - Pricing And Parts

Well, my car has officially become dangerous to drive at night on long trips..the halogen bulbs are worthless (jee..i didn't really care about this before..maybe i'm finally becomming responsible?....nahhh).

For those of you who have retrofitted your cars with litronics:

1) How much should I expect to pay for the kit? Best source?
2) What parts are included? I looks like a pretty easy install. Just run new wiring and slip in the new lights.
3) Any surprises or catches to know about? Did you sell your old lights or keep them for removal when selling your cars.

and

4) Most importantly, any reason why I should get the OEM ones instead of just getting an aftermarket HID kit?

Pics would be welcome too
Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Omar, why dont you sell your 1999 and get a 2002? i mean it might just be the best deal insted of buying Xenon, Aero Kit I and other Mod you wanna do...

What do you think guys?

Get a 2002 from teh US since the market here is Inflated....
Old 12-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

actually..that's not a bad idea at all....i will mull it over
Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
actually..that's not a bad idea at all....i will mull it over
Please make sure its not "Silver"....
Old 12-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

never again.
white or black, maybe red or yellow. definitly orange if it is possible 2 find, but never silver.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Omar, why dont you sell your 1999 and get a 2002? i mean it might just be the best deal insted of buying Xenon, Aero Kit I and other Mod you wanna do...

What do you think guys?

Get a 2002 from teh US since the market here is Inflated....
Better yet, buy a 2004! I know where you can get one in the US at a HOT price!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Better yet, buy a 2004! I know where you can get one in the US at a HOT price!
wow nice price....
Old 12-06-2007, 01:36 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

I went through this recently.

Litronics are nice,the 'eye' looks cool but they aren't worth the price anymore. There is a 01' c2 in my garage w/ Litronics,visibility is better by far I will admit that they aren't much better than the HID kits I've seen done to x96 Porsches. Brand new Litronics cost at least $2.4k (USD) new these days. Get a h7 Xenon kit,it should only cost $100-150 for a decent kit and install those.

I thought I got a deal on ebay buying two seperate auctions making a full set.....turned into a royal pain and almost lost $650(had to take it to my credit card company). One litronic had a loose 'eye' part and the other was beat up all over the place......

They are a straight swap. If you want the leveling feature you have to wire some stuff but IMHO it's not worth the effort unless you want to kill a hour or so.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 12-06-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
4) Most importantly, any reason why I should get the OEM ones instead of just getting an aftermarket HID kit?
Dude, don't even bother with the cheap eBay-type kits. They're just a very cheap quality system that's going to throw the light everywhere. I'd stick with the halogens before I went with a cheap HID system.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:03 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I had mine installed by the dealer when I bought the car at DFC. Too long ago to remember the installed price, so I can only offer a vote on question 4: The Porsche part is well made, looks it, and does everything an OE piece should do. I was really happy with it because it looked and worked like factory, and it amazingly refreshed the look of the car. In Canada, where Porsches have their headlights on all the freakin' time, the original halogens start to look tired and some of them burn-in. You don't appreciate how old it makes the car look until you replace them.

Just my .02.

Edit: I remember, now. They were about $2400 installed, with the leveling feature functioning. I thought it wasn't bad, since the dollar was in the 80s at the time.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:43 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Here we go again. Guys, the control unit that comes with the Litronic Retrofit Kit is for high beam rotation (the Litronic low beams rotate up when you hit the high beams) -- it is NOT for auto-leveling. Auto-leveling requires additional sensors and is only available on cars equipped with Litronics from the factory.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
Here we go again. Guys, the control unit that comes with the Litronic Retrofit Kit is for high beam rotation (the Litronic low beams rotate up when you hit the high beams) -- it is NOT for auto-leveling. Auto-leveling requires additional sensors and is only available on cars equipped with Litronics from the factory.
The people on this board are so warm...

Um, okay, you sound like you know what you're talking about. My assumption was based on the fact that the lights rotate up when they're switched on, just like in my Mini. I assumed it was for the same reason.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well...if you are like me and love the look of the MkI aero kit, I can certainly see why you want to do this. As a matter of fact, so do I. DPS-motorsports has the best price I have seen on the internet for the Xenon kits. No affiliation...I bought my nose from them when I had my old car. Good pricing...

Litronics at DPS
Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
The people on this board are so warm...

Um, okay, you sound like you know what you're talking about. My assumption was based on the fact that the lights rotate up when they're switched on, just like in my Mini. I assumed it was for the same reason.
You know what they say when you assume...
Old 12-06-2007, 12:02 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by Chads996
Well...if you are like me and love the look of the MkI aero kit, I can certainly see why you want to do this. As a matter of fact, so do I. DPS-motorsports has the best price I have seen on the internet for the Xenon kits. No affiliation...I bought my nose from them when I had my old car. Good pricing...

Litronics at DPS
Not a bad price. Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: Pre-Facelift Litronic Retrofit Kit - Pricing And Parts