996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone here sell P-cars for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM
turambar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys, you just confirmed what I thought all along. It sounds as if we're all unanimous on what works best long term- You have to be a bit steadfast and confident in your approach, but always with the best interest of the customer in mind if you plan to be a long term success.

BTW Meister, I'm in San Diego, what's your opinion of that market?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

A few things to think about:

The latest Christophorus (factory) magazine says Porsche unit sales in the US were down 10% for the fiscal year ended in July.

No one needs to buy a Porsche. Sales will likely drop in a recession, which some think we're already in.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
The latest Christophorus (factory) magazine says Porsche unit sales in the US were down 10% for the fiscal year ended in July.
If I'm not mistaken, Cayennes are responsible for most of the drop.

As for a recession, I'm with you. It's coming. Be like 1990 again, I think.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,642 Likes on 2,322 Posts

we dont need self fulfilling prophecy....
Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by turambar
BTW Meister, I'm in San Diego, what's your opinion of that market?
I think SD is great, plus the Chargers give the rest of us a team to root for.

There are two dealers down there I think, Hoehn off the 5 freeway (?) and another one of Miramar Blvd (?) that has the nice modern Porsche building.

But I think SD has a very strong economic base, plus military and contract engineering firms, etc, so that's a positive.

But I didn't realize Internet sales of non-premium brand could make 6 figure income, so I guess you know what you're doing.

Good luck on your decision either way.
-Dave
Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

A few things to think about:

No one needs to buy a Porsche. Sales will likely drop in a recession, which some think we're already in.
The added issue is that we are dealing with a continued very weak dollar. Wouldn't be surprised to see that Porsche is going to increase its US $ prices to offset for the weak dollar. In that case you are potentially dealing with a recession and an increase in pricing for new P cars (and beamers, etc)... not a good combination.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Brew
Intermediate

My best friend is the general sales manager for a local high end dealership here in Tampa. My friend I'll call John, has been selling cars for as long as I can remember. John don't know shi* about the cars he sells. I know more about his product line than he does and have tested this fact many times. However, John has risen to the top of his market many years in a row, with the placks on his office walls to prove it. The fact is, John knows people and what it takes to press their buttons. He is the kind of person you feel comfortable with when you first meet him. Simply put, he sells cars because people like him. People who buy high end cars generally are educated to the point of technician on the product they are looking for. They have done their homework and know more about the product than you might expect. They are always looking for price. They didn't get rich by being foolish and throwing away money. As we say in Tampa, they didn't fall off the shrimp boat yesterday. So what your left with is... is this sales person the kind of person I want to do business with. John just told me yesterday, that the market is way down right now for high end cars. People are holed up as he puts it and very market cautious right now. You might want to think about stable/volume income rather than large comissions right now. As the general population takes a step back and deep breath. Speaking of large comissions have you even asked what your end is on a large sale might be. Don't sign and get a surprise when the dealership says that they had to sale the car at near invoice and because of the lack of profit you get next to nothing for your trouble. Probably not what you wanted to here but I'm just sayin. Brew
Old 01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
turambar
Track Day

The near future economic projections are a concern- I've been thinking that on one hand it's true that Porsches are non-essential luxuries, on the other hand unlike a large swath of BMW and MB buyers in the borderline upper middle class that have been stretching themselves into imminent financial obstacles, Porsche buyers are the real deal- if you have the net worth to buy a $100K+ vehicle, a down turn in the economy isn't going to effect your decisions as a consumer as much, or that is the theory at least.

I did get a chance last night to speak extensively with the Sales manager at the store, and since it's an internal lateral move from within my company (which I found out, means I have a safety net should things go awry), I'm fairly acquainted with him and know that he's a straight shooter who tells it like it is. Suffice it to say, even the lowest underperformers selling an appallingly small number of cars were making a comfortable living- something that management is not happy with- they want someone fresh to come in and wake up the establishment from resting on their laurels. So to cut it short, I accepted the position. Thanks guys for all your help and wish me luck!

Last edited by turambar; 01-10-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best of luck!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Turambar,

Good for you... congrats. Make sure you frequent us on the board often and please treat all of us well when we want to buy a new or used 911!!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 AM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turambar,
Best of luck in your new position. Continued success!
Andy T
Old 01-10-2008, 10:09 AM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, and best of luck my man.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:39 PM
turambar
Track Day

Thanks guys, as soon as I get established and up to speed, believe me, you'll be hearing from me!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Good luck to you!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Best of Luck and Success!

Quick Reply: Anyone here sell P-cars for a living?