996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone here sell P-cars for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:15 PM
turambar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here sell P-cars for a living?

Even though I'm an internet sales guy at a non-luxury make dealer, I'm really a closet Porsche freak having owned one in the recent past, and aspiring to another, hopefully soon. Just yesterday, I got word of an opening for a floor sales position at a local Porsche dealership- something which never happens- it's pretty much like the supreme court- someone has to either die or retire for there to be an opening.

I've been told that I pretty much have the position if I want it, however it'd be nice to get some advice before I make the jump. For those of you successful at selling P-cars (or other very highline makes), What's the style of selling that works? It's been a while since I've been "on the line", and I've been accustomed to the low pressure, consultative style of selling on the 'net and have been very successful doing exactly that. Does selling Porsches require a more forceful, controlling approach?

Also, I currently am earning a low 6 figure income, and our GSM is telling me that I wouldn't likely make much more, and possibly less to start. Anybody have any input to that regard?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by turambar; 01-08-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Good luck with your decision - I can imagine that selling Porsches could be fun, although I'd bet that you would make more money with the volume of selling Acuras.

I do have to say that anyone who tries to take a "forceful, controlling approach" wouldn't be selling me anything and certainly not a Porsche. Those who buy a Porsche know what they're buying and I'm not convinced that the average buyer needs to be sold on anything.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent
Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Those who buy a Porsche know what they're buying...
I think that ceased to be a safe assumption sometime in the mid-1980s. Lots of people who walk into Porsche dealerships today are considering other options, and often might not even be car enthusiasts at all.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I think that ceased to be a safe assumption sometime in the mid-1980s. Lots of people who walk into Porsche dealerships today are considering other options, and often might not even be car enthusiasts at all.
totally, bruce. do the rest of y'all get out much?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Turambar - Send a PM to Likemystoppie?, cho hangs out mostly ont eh 997 Forum. He is a salesman at Prosche in North Olmstead Ohio.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:42 AM
turambar
Track Day

Originally Posted by gota911
Turambar - Send a PM to Likemystoppie?, cho hangs out mostly ont eh 997 Forum. He is a salesman at Prosche in North Olmstead Ohio.
Thanks, I'll look him up.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 AM
turambar
Track Day

Originally Posted by Wellardmac

I do have to say that anyone who tries to take a "forceful, controlling approach" wouldn't be selling me anything and certainly not a Porsche. Those who buy a Porsche know what they're buying and I'm not convinced that the average buyer needs to be sold on anything.
I hope that's the case, but it's surprising what sales approaches sometimes work the best in practical application with "walk in" customers, even those that are affluent. Unfortunately the most successful car salespersons are often those that are the most assertive, repetitively annoying (never taking no for an answer) and a just a bit manipulative in leading a customer down a path to a purchasing decision. Statistically, it's been shown that over 80% of customers that walk into a dealership and leave without buying a car, never return-even if they've had a positive experience. After they've had time to cool off and "think about it", they end up for various reasons of circumstance, buying a car elsewhere. Strangely, it's often a completely different model, and sometimes even a totally different make, than they initially were considering (I'm talking about the type of customer deciding between a base Boxster and BoxsterS and ends up with a MB SLK350. Obviously someone who wants a GT3RS isn't looking at anything else). The salespersons that are able to persuade a customer to act NOW, are the ones that end up on top of the board. I guess it's a case of nice guys never win...

I do hope that Porsche customers are a relationship type sale, and not one where the clients needs to be pushed over the fence on an impulsive decision. I am curious to hear however, from porsche salesmen on what their actual experiences are.

Last edited by turambar; 01-08-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:19 AM
RoninM5
Advanced

More than a decade ago, while waiting for my Bar results, I sold cars. I sold first for a standard japanese car company, and then a couple months later, was promoted to their high line division.

I saw a lot of different styles. Sometimes, a salesperson with almost no in depth knowledge of cars would do quite well. And sometimes, a salesperson with extensive knowledge of cars might not do so well. Car sales is about sales more than it is about cars.

If you are successful in internet car sales, then you probably have a style that is successful and the right balance of assertive and non-offensive, that makes people comfortable. And of course, you have to be motivated to pursue and complete the sale, which I assume you probably are doing currently.

I found it much easier to sell 2-3 of the standard cars, than 1 car of the high line cars. Of course, that could depend on surrounding income demographics, economy, and product.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well stated Ronin, I especially like and agree with ..."assertive and non-offensive". Turambar, I have been in sales management my entire business career (30 years) have trained many sales people, which I truly enjoy and for the past 12 years, own my own business (more sales). The Sales professional that knows the difference between assertive and aggressive and knows that he can NEVER be offensive will win customers and enjoy his career. You mentioned the consultative approach. Absolutely, he should ask questions that help the customer "think things through". Too many salespeople ask questions that benefit the salesperson (i.e. what's your budget, what colors, and other weak questions). The best salespeople across industries have one thing in common. They ask question the customer benefits from (i.e. Are you planning on using the Porsche for your daily driver? How many years do you see yourself owning the Porsche? What other high-end cars have you purchased? Why are you considering a Porsche now? etc , etc). You MAY end up benefiting from the answers to these questions but the real reason for asking them is to help the customer think through the buying decision. Sounds like you are already a successful sales professional, so you have already discovered the above. Best of luck in your new career. Let us know how it goes for you. Andy T
Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Sales is about listening to the buyer and reading their actions and reactions. If you can do that well, you will succeed. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honesty, professionalism, and a strong business sense. FORGET the quick sell. Make solid contacts with genuine interest and approach and you will win.

Lastly...KNOW YOUR PRODUCT. Inside and out. The more you know, the more you can be the pro.

Good luck.

C.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:31 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always wondered how a sales person for Porsches, Corvettes, etc., handle drivers on test drives who seem to be driving over their skill level. Screaming, "We're all gonna die!!!" is probably not conducive to closing a sale.

It would also be hard to sit there while a prospect is trying to drive a stick shift but is just abusing the car.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Where do you live? (...wish everyone would just add their location to their profile.)

The reason I ask is if you're in one of the major metro areas with high income demographics, I think you could probably be successful.
Otherwise, if you're in a smaller area and you're making 6 figures with Internet sales (?), don't move.

The dealer here in Newport Beach is just killing their numbers.... (selling a lot).
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I've always wondered how a sales person for Porsches, Corvettes, etc., handle drivers on test drives who seem to be driving over their skill level. Screaming, "We're all gonna die!!!" is probably not conducive to closing a sale.

It would also be hard to sit there while a prospect is trying to drive a stick shift but is just abusing the car.
I had two experiences lately with local porsche dealer (two separate sales associates). Neither good, I'll explain quickly.

1) Went in on a Saturday, looking to possibly upgrade to newer year (Used 997). I talked to associate in front of building, talked about my car, what I was looking to do etc...He gave me keys to 997 and then began the father routine (I'm 42, he was early 30's) Don't speed, please be very careful, we don't let everyone drive them etc...
I felt a bit put off.

2) Was looking for a used Cayenne for my wife (we purchased a non-porsche SUV soon after). Called associate that my wife and I had talked to on previous weekend, he said "when you bring your 996 in for yearly next week, take the Cayenne for the night". Called him the next week at about 3 in the afternoon and said after a meeting I'd swing buy to drop 996 off for oil etc...and would he still be O.K. with me taking a Cayenne. Sure, he said. Called wife, said don't pick me up at dealer, I've got a ride. Showed up at 6 and he said take it for a drive, I said I would test it out on the way home and he started to back pedal. Oh, geez I don't think I can do that now blah,blah,blah - never really gave a reason why. Had to drive 996 home and return in morning with a ride.

Just my quick experience. Actually purchased my C4 with CPO from another dealer, same ownership, but much more pleasant to deal with.

Quick Reply: Anyone here sell P-cars for a living?