Sponsored by:

What's with the new PCA Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:44 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They are clearly misleading, and some here fell for it,
and more people out there probably will.

As for the extra fun, it is just that.
How can you not laugh at "Your wife" as car type?
John

Originally Posted by smankow
maybe I'm a little confused here, but where is the "blatant use of the PCA name"? If you choose to or not to participate in their forum is your choice. But for several of you to slander them here and on their site and their site AND using the good name of Rennlist is pathetic. And to spend time TRYING to get banned? If their site doesn't live up to your expectations so be it. Regardless of whether using pca in their web address is right or wrong is not for any of us to decide.

I have no affiliation with this group or their forum nor am I a member at this time. I found out about this site through a thread about an upcoming event at Sebring on the racing forum. One of their members is a photographer and offered to take photos. He asked us to register on the site and provide car info. I went to the site but haven't registered yet.

What's next? Attacking renntech because they have renn in their name?

Steve

Last edited by JDSStudios; 01-01-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:52 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smankow
maybe I'm a little confused here, but where is the "blatant use of the PCA name"? If you choose to or not to participate in their forum is your choice. But for several of you to slander them here and on their site and their site AND using the good name of Rennlist is pathetic. And to spend time TRYING to get banned? If their site doesn't live up to your expectations so be it. Regardless of whether using pca in their web address is right or wrong is not for any of us to decide.

I have no affiliation with this group or their forum nor am I a member at this time. I found out about this site through a thread about an upcoming event at Sebring on the racing forum. One of their members is a photographer and offered to take photos. He asked us to register on the site and provide car info. I went to the site but haven't registered yet.

What's next? Attacking renntech because they have renn in their name?

Steve
Renn just means race. PCA means Porsche Club of America. Using the latter with the subtext "a community within a community" is an apparent attempt to mislead people into thinking PCA owns the forum, no matter what bogus alternate meaning they offer for the abbreviation. Why? To earn money off the PCA name.

At best -and this is being charitable- they're idiots. At worst, they're thieves. Maybe it's in the middle; maybe they're just liars. Either way, ridicule is what they deserve.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Apparently, they didn't care for me or my commentary either:

"You have been banned for the following reason:
Anything better to do with your new year?

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"
Old 01-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
Apparently, they didn't care for me or my commentary either:

"You have been banned for the following reason:
Anything better to do with your new year?

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"
I believe that they think that this is all my work, as they have banned my IP address. Pretty funny considering that I have not done anything since my first and last posts yesterday.

I'm not sure of their logic considering that others are still picking on them, even though I have no access to their site.

I'm innocent guv honest.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A couple of basic issues need to be addressed here. First, what is the motivation for a group to create yet another Porsche discussion forum - after reviewing it, it adds nothing to the forums that already exist, including Rennlist. Second, I disagree with Steve that the use of PCAForums isn't misleading - it clearly leads one to believe that Porsche Club of America is the sponsor of the board, which it's not. "People, Cars and Activities" - really now, give me a f-ing break! I, as others on this board, were clearly led to believe that Porsche Club of America was the sponsor. If it's not illegal, the name is clearly misleading. Whether it's a copyright infringement is for the lawyers to decide, if it's even worth their time to pursue it. I don't think any of us were trying to slander the site, just being protective of the 'real' PCA. Just my $0.02.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Whoever runs that site is scum. It's clearly designed to deceive.

"Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address."
Old 01-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Absolutely, if they were not intending to piggy back on the good reputation of the PCA, then they would have chosen another name for their Porsche forum.

Holger - sorry to see that you're also on the blocked list.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 PM
LowStro9
Instructor

Banned by the IP General as well.....hummm, takes all of about 4 seconds to adjust the IP but its not worth the time. Just a little holiday fun, back to work.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

I looked at the site an in their words
There is no reason we can not use any name we chose for our domain name. If you feel you are some how being cheated by a free web site that is trying to get the best fair, courteous, and open minded discussions started and pool our members resources to obtain free items from vendors for our members please chose to stay away
Hmm I wonder if PCA agrees?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

I guess I haven't been banned after all, at least not yet! But here's my latest post to my comment on Wellardmac's post on their use of the PCA name. I simply commented that I'd be interested to see PCA's response. My post follows the webmaster's. Now, they've gone and pissed me off. I, for one, am done with these jerks.

Originally Posted by Webmaster
This is an example of why this site was started, to the best of our knowledge there is no reason we can not use any name we chose for our domain name. If you feel you are some how being cheated by a free web site that is trying to get the best fair, courteous, and open minded discussions started and pool our members resources to obtain free items from vendors for our members please chose to stay away or better yet start your own forums so people with the same approach as you have a place to fester their inadequacies.
I'll tell you one thing, the last thing I need from you is to be insulted when I asked a very simple straightforward question. Your use of the PCA moniker in your web address is drawing some legitimate questions and criticism. A place to fester my inadequacies? Is that what you really think? Just answer questions from Porsche owners who are questioning your use of "PCA" - it's clearly misleading. The very fine print at the bottom of the page is very easily missed. One would deduce that the forum is sponsored by the Porsche Club of America. Continue to insult your posters and you'll have more banned than active members.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Now I'll be interested to see the response to that comment!

I really do wonder if they have a clue about intellectual property rights and cybersquatting.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wellardmac

Now I'll be interested to see the response to that comment!

I really do wonder if they have a clue about intellectual property rights and cybersquatting.
Just sent an email to Porsche Club of America, which I forwarded to you. I'm sure they're aware of this, but now PCAForums has me riled.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Just sent an email to Porsche Club of America, which I forwarded to you. I'm sure they're aware of this, but now PCAForums has me riled.
Nice note Phil!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Phil, NOW you can join Wayne as one of the Bad Boyz of Rennlist."
Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Phil, NOW you can join Wayne as one of the Bad Boyz of Rennlist."
Whoo-hoo! Go Phil!

Those guys are deleting posts and banning members left and right. I changed my IP address to look to see if Phil had gotten a response and in the time that I was there two new members were banned and their posts were deleted. It's the best case of censorship I've seen in a while.

It was funny, as I saw a moderator post a reply to Phil's message, then immediately delete it. What a bizzaro forum.

Quick Reply: What's with the new PCA Forum?