1988 Anniversary Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 08:39 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question 1988 Anniversary Carrera

I have what I think might be a unique opportunity to acquire a 1988 Anniversary Carrera. I am looking for input from the list on the value of this coupe.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:06 AM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Craig,

Just to clarify, I assume that you are referring to the '88 Commemorative Edition with the signature stitched in the head rests of the seats? These were made to commemorate the production of 250,000 911's.

They were not an "anniversary" of anything, and shouldn't be confused with the '89 Silver Anniversary cars.

That being said, I don't think that it should really command any meaningful premium over any other '88, as it was basically just a color/trim package. I would value it on condition alone, as with any other same year car.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 01-04-2003, 01:34 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I owned one of the '88 Commemorative Edition coupes. The seats, wheels, and carpet were all color-matched to a Diamond Blue exterior paint. The carpets were extra heavy including a very nice carpeted trunk area. The dye on the seats was a special metallic and very hard to match should you ever need to. Seats were supple leather.

Nice car, but I sold mine at the same price as an '88 coupe in the same condition.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:23 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim and JBH

Thanks for your posts, the car is as you describe the signature seat edition carrera. Your comments raise a couple of interesting questions... my Porsche 911 Red Book 1965-1999 refers to this car as an Anniversary Carreraof which 875 were produced (hence the subject). If I understand you guys correctly, the citation in the Red Book would be in error. True? Therefore, this car (being 1 of 875) should command no more than any other Carrera?
Thanks for the input.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:58 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes - your book is indeed in error. The Anniversary Carrera was issued in 1989.

The Commemorative Edition produced roughly equal numbers of Coupes (approx. 200), Targas (approx. 200), and Cabriolets (approx. 200). They were all built in the Werks I factory as opposed to the regular manufacturing line.

When I acquired my car, I called PCNA and talked to an individual who had firsthand knowledge of the build. I was issued a Certificate of Authenticity which contained the information I shared above.

Two months after I buy the car, two more identical couples appear in my PCA Region (which only has 150 members). So, much for having a unique car.

Traditionally, Porsches do not carry a premium for special package editions unless there is some performance modification associated with the package. For example the limited edition Club Sport and the America RS are priced higher than the conventional coupes of the day. The Wiessach (911SC variant), Commemorative Edition, and Anniversary Carrera are priced about the same.

In the Porsche world, people will pay extra for performance - not appearance.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Face15
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I own an 89 Silver Anniversary Edition and just wanted to jump in.
I THINK these are the basic facts:
The Signature/Commemorative Edition cars celebrated 250,000 911 cars made (on June 3rd, 1987). It was available as Coupe, Targa and Cabriolet. This car is not to be confused with the 1989 Silver Anniversary car that celebrated 25 years of 911 production (Peter Morgan has this mixed up in his book)

-Color was "697 Diamond Blue Metallic" (Peter Morgan calls it Marine Blue in his book) with color coded 15" Fuchs wheels
-silver blue "ruffle" finish leather seats with F Porsche signature on headrests
-Silver blue silk velour carpet in coupe as well as under front hood
-Electric sunroof
-Short shift
-Anniversary dash plaque (round and placed on the glove compartment lid)

Some cars had front spoiler and rear wing (code 473), some did not, and some cars had the Carrera logo, some didn´t (code 498)

250 cars stayed in Germany
300 went to the US
325 for R.O.W. (50 RHD for the UK)

The Silver Anniversary cars, on the other hand, have a turbo-center console, full leather, grey leather seats with black piping, plush carpet throughout and in trunk, and color-matched Fuchs. There were reportedly only 500 made - 300 coupes and 200 cabs.

Therefore, I would think that these cars would draw a slightly higher premium (especially the silver edition! ) than a normal Carrera.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:40 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the enlightenment, obviously you can't always believe what you read. Such exchange of information clearly demonstrates the value of rennlist.
Thanks to JD for making it possible and contributors like yourselves.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:41 AM
tchanson
Racer

JBH and Todd,

I agree that there is frequent misinformation regarding the special edition cars, both in published sources like the Red Book and Haab, and later disseminated via second, third and fourth hand misinformed, if well intentioned, eBay sellers.

The value question is an interesting one that led me to do a little quick research. In Bruce Anderson's latest 74-89 market update in Excellence (5/02), he says he believes the'89 Silver Anniversary cars should bring an additional 10-20% premium, depending upon similar condition.

In the latest 2002/2003 edition of the Sports Car Market Price Guide, they do not make any special notation for the '88 Commemorative cars. However, they do show separate line entries for the (a) '88 Club Sport and (b) '89 Silver Anniversary cars, both of which are shown also with price ranges roughly 10% over same year, comparable "standard" cars.

So, you may be correct, Todd, at least according to these two market sources...

Tim
Old 01-06-2003, 11:07 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Todd's description matches my CE coupe. Mine does not have plaque on the dash, has no tail, no spoiler, and no Carrera script on the rear deck. The 'diamond blue metallic' color is simply beautiful imo...
Old 01-06-2003, 11:59 PM
jord63
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I second Keith's thoughts..the color is gorgeous, as is his car (I used to own it). I think these cars do not command a specific premium over a non CE car similarly optioned--however anyone who has ever seen one knows they should

Jordan
Old 01-07-2003, 04:01 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
The Diamond Blue is a great color an easy to maintain. As far as a premium, since no 2 used cars are exactly the same, go through the regular steps listed here regularly and if it checks out go for it.
I don't give the price guides too much validity from the standpoint that it's worth what someone , and in this case, you are willing to pay. The way the commemorative and anniversary cars are marketed should more times than not garner a premium for them.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:37 AM
PMNorris
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have an '88 commemorative edition without the dashboard badge. Mine is a UK edition. I've seen a few of these cars in the UK and never seen a dashboard badge. Was this exclusive to US cars?
Old 01-09-2003, 02:39 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want a stock class race car version of this car, and i mean a FAST ONE... look at the classifieds (non member race cars).
Old 09-28-2017, 06:05 AM
Speed-Star
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default dashboard dash

Originally Posted by PMNorris
I have an '88 commemorative edition without the dashboard badge. Mine is a UK edition. I've seen a few of these cars in the UK and never seen a dashboard badge. Was this exclusive to US cars?
I have seen many German cars from the 250.000 series (1987, model year 1988) with the badge.

But I have never seen an US-car with the badge.

The brochure for the 250.000 series showed the badge:

250.000 Porsche 911 / Jubiläums – Sonderserie MY 88

It confuses me that a badge for the US-market should have German words?

I will add the German badge for these special cars!
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2017, 07:10 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Andreas, from the pictures of the brochure that I posted in the other thread, you can see that the front cover shows German description for the 911 badge, but English description for the 944 and 924S special editions. The brochure on the back cover says "Porsche Cars North America" and "Printed in U.S.A." , so it seems that the German description is correct for North America cars.

Quick Reply: 1988 Anniversary Carrera