Sponsored by:

What's with the new PCA Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
Yea - BUT - it would have shown coming from the "Rennlist Forums" (my form handler does the e-mailing - and bounces from this server to my rennlist.net mail server (behind the curtain))... Since I didn't get the e-mail - nor any "ADMIN" bounce/complaints - my guess it was a direct e-mail?? But - your comment is something for me to look at!
JD
I am wondering John because the AlfaBB forum uses the same software as Rennlist and recently on that forum a credit repair spamer started posting and not but a week or so later in the e-mail box I use there and here I start getting credit repair spam with the same message as the postings? Very suspicious and since then I have removed the option for people to send me e-mails.

I wonder if the bad guys have fiqured out how to wack the system?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I am wondering John because the AlfaBB forum uses the same software as Rennlist and recently on that forum a credit repair spamer started posting and not but a week or so later in the e-mail box I use there and here I start getting credit repair spam with the same message as the postings? Very suspicious and since then I have removed the option for people to send me e-mails.

I wonder if the bad guys have fiqured out how to wack the system?
In the past vBulletin has been a commonly hacked platform by Phishers. I normally find those buggers hiding out in the online photo galleries but I've found them in cracked vBulleting forums as well. Would not surprise me if there is a new exploit.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Oh Crap, Rob! My special order 2008 997 S with X-51 package was on that ship! What am I gonna do now????

Oh wait.... I've got it!

Hey, 'Gant, I got a brand new 997S I can sell ya! Clean Carfax, too!
Dont' forget to mention to Gant that it has option code x91 - sonar.

Originally Posted by Wellardmac

Rob, I cannot disagree.
I would like to think Porsche owners are just a bit harder to bull****.

Well, 911 owners anyway
Old 01-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
Dont' forget to mention to Gant that it has option code x91 - sonar.

I would like to think Porsche owners are just a bit harder to bull****.

Well, 911 owners anyway
I would also like to think so, but unfortunately there isn't an IQ test to buy a Porsche, just a financial test. Money and stupidity have been intertwined since the begining of time.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Maybe the PCAForums guys got my email address from visiting the same **** sites as I do.

Maybe that's why you got banned from Club Goomba!

I wonder what worthy deed bestowed that honor.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Maybe that's why you got banned from Club Goomba!

I wonder what worthy deed bestowed that honor.
You know, I'm very upset about the ban since I was planning on spending a week at "Club Goomba" with the family to get some some sun, do some drinking, hang out with their lawyers, and take frequent showers. Oh well, it will have to wait until I'm reinstated. Back to my travel agent.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
smankow
Pro

John D, the difference between you and this thread is that you handled the matter professionally. I'd be willing to bet that you and your friends didn't go to that site and post harrassing threads and then come to your site and insite a riot. I wasn't questioning you or this site, simply those who handled this matter in a not-so-professional manner.

Carpundit, I didn't realize that this is an "if I'm not with you, I'm with them" mentality. I've stated repeatedly that despite the name that was used, there really wasn't any law broken. You can rest assured that I have never met any of them yet, but will meet them next week at a DE event at Sebring.

and Phil, you need better choice in friends
Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smankow
Phil, you need better choice in friends
Steve, I'm happy to have any friends.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

John D, the difference between you and this thread is that you handled the matter professionally. I'd be willing to bet that you and your friends didn't go to that site and post harrassing threads and then come to your site and insite a riot. I wasn't questioning you or this site, simply those who handled this matter in a not-so-professional manner.

Carpundit, I didn't realize that this is an "if I'm not with you, I'm with them" mentality. I've stated repeatedly that despite the name that was used, there really wasn't any law broken. You can rest assured that I have never met any of them yet, but will meet them next week at a DE event at Sebring.

and Phil, you need better choice in friends
Smankow, if not illegal what they did is certainly unethical. There is no question in my mind they where trying to silently trade off on the brand equity the Porsche Club has built in their name. Do you honestly (really, I mean honestly) believe they did not choose the name on purpose?

If you're "ok" with that slight of hand then fine. However, I believe John, Phil and others have an equal right not to be "ok" with it.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Club Goomba changes your status to Wife Beater after 100 posts, so they have that going for them which is nice.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:49 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

John D, the difference between you and this thread is that you handled the matter professionally. I'd be willing to bet that you and your friends didn't go to that site and post harrassing threads and then come to your site and insite a riot. I wasn't questioning you or this site, simply those who handled this matter in a not-so-professional manner....
Hi Steve,

Point taken. However - what I'm about to post is my opinion only...

If you look at "Porsche Club of America" - their "internet presence" is, indeed "PCA.org". To get an e-mail/announcement of a pca***.com" site, and whether intentional or by sheer "coincidence" - had many believing it was the PCA Forums (coincidentally "pcaforums.com"). In fact - this entire thread is entitled "What's with the new PCA Forum?" and it wasn't until the 9th post in this thread that someone observed is WASN'T the PCA Forum.

To explain the vitriolic criticisms posted here - and in looking at many of the first posts to that not-PCA site - many thought, indeed - and again whether intentionally or by sheer "coincidence" on the URL naming convention - many folks *thought* they were posting to the "PCA Forums" (pcaforums.com). I'm guessing folks don't like to be "duped" or misled - again, of course - intentionally or by sheer "coincidence". So, I do understand the criticisms and "riot" that ensued. I believe it was even more "confusing" that the entire repertoire of "car forums" on that "not affiliated with Porsche Club of America" - was the fact that the ONLY Marque represented was, indeed - "Porsche" - and the graphics to reaffirm that dedication to that single Marque.

An appropriate analogy would be if you announced your new site - "rennlistforums.com" (if Rennlist didn't have forums), sent out e-mails/invites - and "forgot" to mention you are not affiliated with "rennlist". Coincidence? Maybe if it was a Honda site in format and design only - and only Honda owners got the invites - then, it *might* be only minimally plausible, in my opinion - and certainly as it only applies to the Internet and Domain Names....

Anyway - while I understand your point, I too - understand peoples frustration and disappointment with being led to believe it's THE PCA Forum - when in fact - it has nothing to do with either PCA or Porsche Club of America.

Sorry for beating a dead horse - but, I wanted to share with you my thoughts and opinion.

My Best to you,

John
Old 01-10-2008, 05:02 PM
smankow
Pro

well stated, John.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Steve..!

As well - I appreciate your views and comments. I think all sides were represented on this, so if folks don't mind - I'm going to close off this thread... If some of you want to keep it open - please PM me, OK??

My best to you Steve, and thanks to all...

John

Quick Reply: What's with the new PCA Forum?