Sponsored by:

New shifter option

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:33 PM
bk12
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New shifter option

I had been driving around with the B&M shifter in my 02 C2, and while I enjoyed the fact that it was a lot shorter than stock, I really never enjoyed the notchy feel that came with it. I saw this thread where there were a few 996GT3 guys that had converted to the 997 GT3 shifter assembly:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=53877

Well, I gave it a shot on the regular C2, and it fits up fine. You do need to use the alignment tool that locks the shift handle in center position, because the cable ends do not lock back into the same place.....my B&M had lined up at the same spot.

I love it! Definately longer than the SSK, but I believe it is quite a bit shorter than the stock shift (from memory). This thing is silky smooth....I love the mod! I got the entire assembly from Sunset with centering tool for somewhere around $165.

I know some guys that took it back off because it was just too long, but it is staying in my car.

Quick Update: It looks like I am getting about a 13% reduction in shift length over the standard 996 shifter with this setup. The B&M SSK provides about 37% reduction for comparison sake.

Last edited by bk12; 12-27-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:11 PM
996CABOVA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm this sounds interesting. I love the B&M, but it is notchy and thought the OEM was smoother. Did you use your OEM shift **** with the GT3 SSK?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:12 PM
bk12
Racer

Yes, the OEM **** fits fine. It is important to note that you need to get the standard stock 997 GT3 shift assembly, not the Porsche SSK or "sport" kit for that car....because that will pretty much be the same thing that you have. The 997 GT3 stock shifter is quite a bit shorter than the stock 996 shifter...at least per my memory.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

not sure i want a super silky engagement - i don't find the ssk on my car notchy at all... i call it... a mechanically sound engagement feel
Old 12-24-2007, 07:28 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you do pics of the install ?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:34 PM
bk12
Racer

no pics of the install....but it is the same as the short shift install, which is well documented. The biggest difference between this and the B&M is that the stock shifter comes with the complete assembly, so you don't have to break the old shifter out from the existing box. Unhook shifter cables, unbolt plastic shifter box, re-install new box/shifter and hook up cables....that is it.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bk12
no pics of the install....but it is the same as the short shift install, which is well documented. The biggest difference between this and the B&M is that the stock shifter comes with the complete assembly, so you don't have to break the old shifter out from the existing box. Unhook shifter cables, unbolt plastic shifter box, re-install new box/shifter and hook up cables....that is it.
Wow, so really a true R&R then ??? I like that.

I have on my list a SSK and have been looking at the B&M, but this sounds interesting, but would like to know how much shorter than the stock 996 and taller than the BBK though before deciding. This could be a mid-height one where in a re-sale situation it might never be noticed, not everyone wants a SSK.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ill take the BM off your hands! I was thinking about the 997 unit, but my C2 has the BM and i didnt mind the feel. PM me if you want to unload the BM
Thanks and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:50 PM
bk12
Racer

The B&M is gone, I already sold it to a buddy who put it on his boxster.

There is some talk of length comparisons on 6speed (turbo forum I think) as well as the link I posted in the OP. Worth a shot! I think I will get along with the new shifter better than I did with the B&M at the track.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:16 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

DOH!!Thanks for the reply
Old 12-25-2007, 12:16 PM
cowboyzx6
Instructor

I did the B&M SSK swap about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure I really like it just because of the extra effort needed. When driving around town in DC area with all this freaking traffic, I can see it being a real hassle real quick. I am not a driving events person so it migh not have been the best choice. On the other hand, it is kind of fun sometimes to run through the gears with quicker wrist flicks! I'll see how I feel in a few months. This mid stick length option sounds intriguing!
Old 12-25-2007, 04:44 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

bk12...I am really looking at using the 997 GT3 shifter instead of the BBK after I read the original post in the 996 GT2/GT3 forum. A lot of people that track there car like this shifter over others, specifically the B&M. Not that the B&M is a bad shifter, but I really do not need such a short throw, my stock one is not bad, but a little shorter and still as smooth, or smoother, would be perfect for street and track IMHO.

I will let you know if I get the green light from the boss
Old 12-25-2007, 05:01 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I have the short shift and although this sounds nice think I will bypass this mod. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

The link to the 996 GT2/GT3 forum is confusing.

The part number for the shift shown on the white sticker in the first post is 997 424 010 00. Where you see the metal plate where the 4 screws there is black plastic. That is the standard 997/987/997 GT3 shift. It is not a short shift.

The short shift for the 997/987 series has blue plastic. There is a picture of the blue plastic short shift in the thread but the guy gives out the part number for the standard black shift. The short shift is 997 424 983 00.

I don't know why anyone would want to put the standard 997 series shift in a 996/986.

The 997 series short shift works in a 996/986. A local Boxster owner with a 2001 S put in the 997 short shift 2 years ago and it worked fine. It is not as short as a B&M.

This pic is the standard white plastic 996/986 shift, and the blue plastic one is the 997 series short shift.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 01-04-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 PM
bk12
Racer

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
The link to the 996 GT2/GT3 forum is confusing.

The part number for the shift shown on the white sticker in the first post is 997 424 010 00. Where you see the metal plate where the 4 screws there is black plastic. That is the standard 997/987/997 GT3 shift. It is not a short shift.

The short shift for the 997/987 series has blue plastic. There is a picture of the blue plastic short shift in the thread but the guy gives out the part number for the standard black shift. The short shift is 997 424 983 00.

I don't know why anyone would want to put the standard 997 series shift in a 996/986.

The 997 series short shift works in a 996/986. A local Boxster owner with a 2001 S put in the 997 short shift 2 years ago and it worked fine. It is not as short as a B&M.

This pic is the standard white plastic 996/986 shift, and the blue plastic one is the 997 series short shift.
Well, as I specified clearly in one of the posts above (at least I felt it was clear), this shifter is not to be confused with the factory 997 short shift ....which I am guessing isn't all that much different, if at all, than the B&M. I actually made sure I mentioned this to make sure people didn't get confused and buy the short shift, unless of course that was their intention.

The reason I put it on? My understanding is that the stock 997 (or 997GT3)…..not short shift, sport shift, whatever….shifter has a shorter throw than the stock 996 (or 996 GT3) shifter, as well as a smoother feel due to changes in the layout of the shift mechanism, which includes the cable layout up front. My observation, as well as others who have done this is that it shifts smoother than the 996 stock shifter (no brainer over B&M, but that is obvious), and to my recollection, shorter as well. My buddy had a stock shifter for comparison sake, and it feels longer than the 997 shifter in my car, so I agree with the shorter comments....unfortunately I never measured the two to quantify the difference, so who knows…new mod effect? It definitely feels smoother to me when comparing to my friend’s stock setup.

To sum up all the threads on this subject (a few different forums) that I had read prior to doing the mod:
1) Everyone was raving about the smooth feel of the 997 GT3 shift
2) Some knowledgeable soul looked through the parts manual to compare any differences from 996 GT3 to 997 GT3 as far as the shifter/linkages are concerned, and identified the only real difference to be the stock shifter assembly. Another knowledgeable soul informed me that this same thing should apply to the 996 C2 as linkages are the same.
3) Many people bolted it up in place of their turbo or GT3 shifter to discover that it felt "smoother" and shorter to them, very positive response. Many considered the feeling of their 996 shift to feel just like the 997 GT3 (996 GT3 or Turbo owners-when I was looking through the other threads, nobody had tried it on a C2 996, so I was posting here to inform others that it bolted right up).
4) Some took it off because it was longer than the B&M and they couldn't adjust, and some (like me) left it on because they felt it was a smoother, more precise shifter.

Tool Pants: I know you are very knowledgeable on this stuff, and so I went back through the parts breakout for 996 and 997 C2 and GT3, a few things that were not noted (at least not that I saw) in the other threads that I had looked at before doing the mod:
1) It looks like pretty much all the shifter linkage/cables are the same for the 996, 996 GT3, 997 and 997 GT3.
2)The standard GT3 comes stock with the same shifter as the stock C2. This applies to both series of cars.

So TP, you are correct in that this part is also just the plain ol’ stock 997 shifter…..but it is also the shifter for the 997 GT3. I guess many that had discussed that their GT3 shifter was shorter than the C2 were off in reality.

So I guess the real question for anyone looking to do this is whether or not the stock 997 shifter is better than the 996 shifter…in my opinion, it is. So if you have driven a 997 or 997 GT3 and like the throw that you get in those cars and/or the feel, you might want to try this mod. I guess that is what all of this boils down to. If you dislike the shift of a 997, be it length or general feel, this mod is not for you. If you really like the feel, this mod may get you there, or very close to it for $165 and an hour of your time.

That is my personal assessment and experience for what it is worth….and reasons that I put it on my car, and plan on keeping it there. I am not trying to sell this thing for personal gain, I just put it on and was letting others know it went into a C2 just fine and offers something different than the stock 996 or 996 SSK shifters…..another option

Quick Reply: New shifter option