Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

911 C4s 2003 Making Progress, last minute help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 911 C4s 2003 Making Progress, last minute help!!!

Ok here is where I am at. The BMW dealer selling the car got my questions answered by the former owner (so they say) but former owner doesn't want to be bothered talking to me live and wouldn't allow their contact given out. Says no track time, said no rear seats as the "no rear seat option" was selected at time or order, says parts are OEM etc... was told car was leased and then bought after lease.... then the owner traded it in for a new M5 smg and thats how they got the car.

Found the Porsche Dealer (ray catena porcshe in AC/NJ) that the car was bought from originally but they were little to no help.... just gave me date of last oil change 10/17/07 which was promising. Said they can not release any other data unless former owner comes in and allows them to in person in writing to do so. (not going to happen) Carfax is clean, it was ran.

The Honda dealer said they can sell me a full 3 yr 36K warranty for a whopping 4500.00 (maybe that's fair I never bought a P car warranty?) The warranty is called Fidelity Warranty which I guess is a division of jm. Anyone know of this warranty or are there others out there better suited for P cars?

Car is a 2003 with 15K miles, and can scoop it up for $46,100.00 + warranty and papers (then need to ship it to Ma/Boston or may go pick up) which I know is a steal if the car is good but if a lemmon and if I don't get the warranty could be looking at huge head aches later. I will take any advise offered.....

If I move ahead I will have the car brought to a Porsche Dealer and get a PPI.... but if that checks out OK, what are peoples thoughts on the warranty, price, warranty company, anything else I should negotiate etc?\

I will pay anyone in NJ area $ (Atlantic city) $$ if they would be willing to go check the car out for me? I know its an off the wall request but before I drive 5hrs one way it would be worth it to have a fellow P car owner give their thoughts.... Thanks all and sorry for the lengthy post!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Personally I would not by a used Porsche from a non-Porsche dealer. Period (Bob you there??)

First off only a Porsche dealer sell you a CPO, the warranty they are offering you is a third party warranty you can get yourself, and for less - so that's bull****.

And unless you've owned many 996's and know exactly what to look for, play it safe and buy from a Porsche dealer, you'll have the warranty and peace of mind.

jmtc,
Rob

Last edited by Riad; 12-11-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Their 3rd party warranty is likely garbage. I too would be very careful and really if buying a used 911 would only do so from a Porsche dealer on a car with CPO. That is just me though as I am very risk averse when it comes to these things.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, opinions will vary. It is just a used car and there is no magic sauce in buying it from a Porsche dealer. The only advantage to buying from a porsche dealer is that they can sell the car as CPO which is a nice porsche backed warranty.

As for the third party warranty, it is a good alternative but like others said you can buy it yourself for cheaper... Look up Continental Warranty, Great Western, etc (google is your friend).
Old 12-11-2007, 11:20 AM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never buy a Porsche from any used car lot, your asking for trouble.
Having the 2 year warranty is peace of mind and just in case something happens, your covered.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RyeHigh
I would never buy a Porsche from any used car lot, your asking for trouble.
Having the 2 year warranty is peace of mind and just in case something happens, your covered.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

But think about it for a moment. So do P-cars never get traded in at a BMW, Lexus, Benz, Audi, Honda, etc dealer? And ask yourself where that shiny used 911 sitting at your local P-car dealer came from? Was it a trade in or did they go pick it up at an auction after it sat on a Honda dealer's lot for too long. Albeit with a new higher price because they magically looked it over and deemed it good.

Do a PPI on a used car and get a warranty if you feel better with one. Good advice for any car of any make.

Things to ponder.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Look, if you think the price is fair, get your own warranty coverage and buy the vehicle "if" the PPI is acceptable and you have driven the car enough to know that it is the car for you.I think your price is fair, and only 15k miles!(or read the post by Paul
Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
996superfly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agreed with Paul 996,

The used car business is always a shady business with two sides to it. If you believe in buying from a Porsche dealer and think that CPO will make you sleep better at night then you are dead wrong.

My uncle is owning a high line used cars business for over 8 years. Before that he was a used car sales manager for a top name Mercedes dealer in So. Cal for 5 years. He's responsible for buying and selling used high line cars for the dealer's used car division. I attended many car auctions with him. I saw "buyers" from all well-known Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Lexus dealers in So. Cal came there to buy cars. My uncle told me as long the cars does not had major frame damage and engine is not blown they're fair game to all buyers. All dealers have facility to repair mechanical and body shop to get these cars up to 90% sale approval.

Few months ago there was a member here or over at 6speed who bought a 996 from a well-known Porsche dealer in So. Cal with CPO and full documents. At that time, he thoughts it was a smart buy not until he had a minor accident and brought the car to a bodyshop. There, he found out that his car had a major frame damage to the rear. When he contact the dealer that sold the car to him they said they don't know any prior accident or major damage to the car. Well, he learned a really hard lesson for believing a CPO car and major network dealers.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So long as it checks out with the PPI and that warranty company is a good one, do it. You can get the aftermarket warranty through your local Porsche dealership as well if that gives you greater peace of mind (I did it this way when I purchased my C4S through a cool 6speed member).
Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If it checks out buy it. The only thing that would sit odd with me is the PO not wanting to be bothered. What is he hiding? Maybe nothing but hey.

And the after market warranty sounds like it is to expensive.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default I am Forging ahead.....

OK, First thanks again for the feedback greatly apprecaite and value all.

The BMW dealer has agreed to let the local Porsche Dealer go through the car, the P Dealer said it would cost $316.00 for this; does that sound about right? The lady in service at the P dealer was a little confused as to what I was looking to have done but called me back and said they could go through like they do for CPO...... etc... do I need to ask them to look at anything particular, or just assume they know what to do? Hate to assume.....

I got data on "other warranties" and warranty direct has a 4 year (to 12/11/11) 36K mile near bumper to bumper for about $3200. I have 3 other cars so not going to pile on the miles so may go for this if I ever end up buying the car....

Thanks again and any other advice I am all ears....
Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 PM
996superfly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good price for PPI, especially from a Porsche dealer. Don't assume anything. Have them check engine, hoses, belts, suspension components, rubber bushings, frame, brake, bodywork. And if you willing to shell out some money have them do a compression test on all cylinders. Coolant leak test to see condition of the water pump, hoses and radiator.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:15 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thanks

Will do thanks, any idea how much more $ the compression check could be?

I am buying an aftermarket warranty for 3 years 60K miles (just talked to the company) from www.Warrantydirect.com as someone suggested on this site. Did some more research on them and they do seem quite good.... this will cost near 3500 plus purchase price of 46,100, thats 49,600 for a 03 C4S with 15K miles with a 4 year warranty so think thats a great deal assuming PPI comes back OK.... also at the end of this month I could NOT get a warranty as this company would not sell one to an 03 P car after 2007.... so timing is good.

any other advice greatly apprecaited...thanks

Originally Posted by 996superfly
That's good price for PPI, especially from a Porsche dealer. Don't assume anything. Have them check engine, hoses, belts, suspension components, rubber bushings, frame, brake, bodywork. And if you willing to shell out some money have them do a compression test on all cylinders. Coolant leak test to see condition of the water pump, hoses and radiator.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:38 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Is there any chance you could pay the Porsche dealership to give you a CPO?

Just asking...I don't know the CPO rules for non-dealership cars.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default good question

I tried and answer is no...

Originally Posted by billh1963
Is there any chance you could pay the Porsche dealership to give you a CPO?

Just asking...I don't know the CPO rules for non-dealership cars.

Quick Reply: 911 C4s 2003 Making Progress, last minute help!!!