Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage (or Don't Put your Porsche Away for the Winter - part II)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:03 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While we're on the subject, I have an embarrassingly stoopid question.. (and it has nothing to do with little green icons on the dash..)..

My '03 C4 game with one of them there battry maintainer thingamujigs.. at least, that's what I assume it is - an AC 110 plug under the front hood, near the battery access points.. Am I just supposed to plug this thing into the wall if I'm gonna leave my car sit for while? Can I do any harm just leaving it plugged in?

I don't intend to completely garage my car during the winter, but I probably won't be driving it much either.. I don't need it to get to work, so I'll probably just take it out for a spin on days when the roads are dry - which, depending upon the winter in Boulder, can sometimes be every day and can sometimes be once every couple of weeks or a month or so.

So should I just plug this thing think in the garage?

- Nick
Old 12-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
While we're on the subject, I have an embarrassingly stoopid question.. (and it has nothing to do with little green icons on the dash..)..

My '03 C4 game with one of them there battry maintainer thingamujigs.. at least, that's what I assume it is - an AC 110 plug under the front hood, near the battery access points.. Am I just supposed to plug this thing into the wall if I'm gonna leave my car sit for while? Can I do any harm just leaving it plugged in?

I don't intend to completely garage my car during the winter, but I probably won't be driving it much either.. I don't need it to get to work, so I'll probably just take it out for a spin on days when the roads are dry - which, depending upon the winter in Boulder, can sometimes be every day and can sometimes be once every couple of weeks or a month or so.

So should I just plug this thing think in the garage?

- Nick

Nick, not familiar with the input under the hood - the battery maintainer I use plugs into a 110V wall outlet, with the connector hooking directly into the cigarette lighter. I used mine last year without any problem for a couple of months at a time. Kept the battery fully charged.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Yeah, thanks Tim. I PM'd Wayne on this - I may need his help on Wednesday. Gotta work full day tomorrow, so no time to get fixed. Battery clearly needs to come out and be replaced. Pisses me off since battery is less than 2 years old - assuming Isringhausen replaced it when I bought the car like they claimed they did. Not worth fighting witht them over it. I'll take it to my dealer (Holbert) for new OEM battery - and full cleaning. If I can't get it started, I'll put the battery myself and hose out the compartment and underside of the car. Anything else you'd recommend??
Ouch! I'm dragged away from the forum by work for an evening and Phil's car stages a mutany. Not cool.

Don't worry Phil, we'll get you running again.

I'd actually recommend moving to a 3rd party battery over the OEM battery - cheaper and more reliable. I installed a Bosche Premium Gold battery lasy year - comes with a good warranty, maintenance free and better cold cranking amps. I got mine from Pep Boys in Warminster and I gthink it cost around $80.

The main thing is getting that old battery out of there and getting the leaking acid out... sounds like you took good first steps, my main worry if that the acid will contact something like cables and cause some damage - the sooner you get that thing out the better - any chance that you can switch it out after work tomorrow?

- At least get the battery out and place it at the side of the car until you're ready to try to move it again.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Ouch! I'm dragged away from the forum by work for an evening and Phil's car stages a mutany. Not cool.

Don't worry Phil, we'll get you running again.

I'd actually recommend moving to a 3rd party battery over the OEM battery - cheaper and more reliable. I installed a Bosche Premium Gold battery lasy year - comes with a good warranty, maintenance free and better cold cranking amps. I got mine from Pep Boys in Warminster and I gthink it cost around $80.

The main thing is getting that old battery out of there and getting the leaking acid out... sounds like you took good first steps, my main worry if that the acid will contact something like cables and cause some damage - the sooner you get that thing out the better - any chance that you can switch it out after work tomorrow?

- At least get the battery out and place it at the side of the car until you're ready to try to move it again.
Unfortunately, full day of practice, then staff meeting until around 9PM tomorrow. Wednesday AM is the earliest I can get to this. The only reason I'm leaning toward another OEM battery is that this one may in fact be under warrantee. If so, I wouldn't mind saving the $$. But, I've sent you another PM - maybe we can link up on Wednesday if you have any time. Sounds like you're busy as hell, too. I did flood the area with water, and there's no further leakage - I obviously disconnected the charger as well.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Unfortunately, full day of practice, then staff meeting until around 9PM tomorrow. Wednesday AM is the earliest I can get to this. The only reason I'm leaning toward another OEM battery is that this one may in fact be under warrantee. If so, I wouldn't mind saving the $$. But, I've sent you another PM - maybe we can link up on Wednesday if you have any time. Sounds like you're busy as hell, too. I did flood the area with water, and there's no further leakage - I obviously disconnected the charger as well.
Got it - yeah, end of year rush to finish stuff up - everyone goes crazy. The joy of ending my work year on Thursday is that I need to get loose ends tied up sooner. My calendar is crazy this week.

Check on the warranty - if it's covered, then get them to replace it, but if not, then I'd go with an aftermarket battery from Pep-boys - great warranties, no maintenance and a lot more reliable.

I can't answer the question about flushing out the battery compartment though. I'd have no clue on how best to do that.

We'll talk tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, that's kind of strange for a battery to leak like that. Are you sure the dripping is not from poor aim? Those suckers are hard to fill. When you remove the old battery, try filling it again to see if it's really leaking. The sulfuric acid will eat thru paint if it is indeed leaking.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by jury_ca
Hmm, that's kind of strange for a battery to leak like that. Are you sure the dripping is not from poor aim? Those suckers are hard to fill. When you remove the old battery, try filling it again to see if it's really leaking. The sulfuric acid will eat thru paint if it is indeed leaking.
Nope, I was incredibly careful filling up each cell. When each was topped off - I rechecked levels and the 3 cells on the left were well below where I filled them. I plan to wash the area thoroughly tomorrow to try to remove all traces of acid.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

OK gang - everyone's telling me NOT to buy a Porsche battery, so what battery would you advise to provide sufficient cranking amps, long life, plus vent tube? I don't want to go through this again!!! Car is really going to need to be cleaned up - and quick.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=12

Check judd944's thread in this forum also. He has a similar problem.

AutoZone Duralast Group 48-DL. DL has the vent-tube.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bosche from Pepboys
Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan to wash the area thoroughly tomorrow to try to remove all traces of acid.
If you have electrolyte spilled in the area of the battery, you need to mix up a batch of baking soda and water and use it to liberally douse everything in the area, and then rinse completely with clear water. Do that before you install the new battery to avoid any potential to contaminate a cell with the baking soda/water cleaning solution.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:00 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Group buy!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:55 PM
imdrew12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumb question, but why wouldn't you drive your car in the winter? Nice cold dense air, more bang for the buck. The only thing I can think of is the stuff they put on the roads to help melt the snow and ice. But most of us have more than one car, so just drive the other until the roads are clear.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
If you have electrolyte spilled in the area of the battery, you need to mix up a batch of baking soda and water and use it to liberally douse everything in the area, and then rinse completely with clear water. Do that before you install the new battery to avoid any potential to contaminate a cell with the baking soda/water cleaning solution.
On first look, seems like all electrolyte went out via vent tube - but I'll check carefully, and certainly if any in compartment, will use baking soda and water to flush.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:06 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by imdrew12
Dumb question, but why wouldn't you drive your car in the winter? Nice cold dense air, more bang for the buck. The only thing I can think of is the stuff they put on the roads to help melt the snow and ice. But most of us have more than one car, so just drive the other until the roads are clear.
Phil hardly drives it in summer, so surely you jest about driving it in winter! BTW - Phil is notorious on this Forum for NOT for his driving his C4S.

He bought the car used with 1,000 miles on it about 2 years ago. During the past 2 years he has driven it about 1,800 miles (yes, eighteen hundred miles).

Quick Reply: Winter Storage (or Don't Put your Porsche Away for the Winter - part II)