Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage (or Don't Put your Porsche Away for the Winter - part II)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:10 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by imdrew12
Dumb question, but why wouldn't you drive your car in the winter? Nice cold dense air, more bang for the buck. The only thing I can think of is the stuff they put on the roads to help melt the snow and ice. But most of us have more than one car, so just drive the other until the roads are clear.
You're correct. That's the most compelling argument against winter driving: road salt. You'll also hear folks say that driving in slippery conditions worries them because of the increased possibility of getting hit by somebody else.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Phil hardly drives it in summer, so surely you jest about driving it in winter! BTW - Phil is notorious on this Forum for NOT for his driving his C4S.

He bought the car used with 1,000 miles on it about 2 years ago. During the past 2 years he has driven it about 1,800 miles (yes, eighteen hundred miles).
Tim, I'm depressed enough as is - now you're just piling on.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I'll save my grief until I see you tomorrow.

Hopefully the car will start okay and we can get you and your injured baby over to Holberts for a good wallet raping.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:55 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jury_ca
Hmm, that's kind of strange for a battery to leak like that. Are you sure the dripping is not from poor aim? Those suckers are hard to fill. When you remove the old battery, try filling it again to see if it's really leaking. The sulfuric acid will eat thru paint if it is indeed leaking.
Not really that strange. If a battery is dead/discharged, the freezing point of the electrolyte will rise, and it can freeze and crack, like a radiator w/o anti-freeze.

Bill
Old 12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, I was incredibly careful filling up each cell. When each was topped off - I rechecked levels and the 3 cells on the left were well below where I filled them. I plan to wash the area thoroughly tomorrow to try to remove all traces of acid.
And the baking soda is a good idea.

Make sure you use lots and lots and lots of water. Sulfuric acid is very strong and you must be sure to dilute any remaining.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by wrljet
Not really that strange. If a battery is dead/discharged, the freezing point of the electrolyte will rise, and it can freeze and crack, like a radiator w/o anti-freeze.

Bill
Yes, but the battery was functioning normally when put away 2 weeks ago. At least that was what I thought. I did not check the electrolyte levels before I stored the car - which was likely the event that led up to the battery failure.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, but the battery was functioning normally when put away 2 weeks ago. At least that was what I thought. I did not check the electrolyte levels before I stored the car - which was likely the event that led up to the battery failure.
I was simply offering one reason why a previously "good" battery now leaks like a sieve.

A bad (vs. dead/flat) battery with high internal leakage may go dead quickly on its own, and can be masked in a daily driver that recharges it every day. And it doesn't take much of an errant drain the car to drain it in a few days.

Bill
Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by wrljet
I was simply offering one reason why a previously "good" battery now leaks like a sieve.

A bad (vs. dead/flat) battery with high internal leakage may go dead quickly on its own, and can be masked in a daily driver that recharges it every day. And it doesn't take much of an errant drain the car to drain it in a few days.

Bill

Bill, agree - I'll know more tomorrow when I get the battery replaced. I'll post up on the outcome. Thanks to all for suggestions. And to Tim, of course, for his heartfelt sympathy!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Bill, agree - I'll know more tomorrow when I get the battery replaced. I'll post up on the outcome. Thanks to all for suggestions. And to Tim, of course, for his heartfelt sympathy!
Does this mean that you'll drive your car more often now?

Think of it this way, you car i so depressed about not being driven that it has started to commit suicide - death by battery acid - the most gruesome and painful death imaginable! Oh the horror!

I think I'll report you to Porsche for cruelty to your C4S.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

...think about it - Phil had his S4 a day or so and it lost it's will to live. His C4S got lonely after he put it away for the winter and it lost it's will to live.

Does this mean that the Audi is smarter than the Porsche as it figured out that it would never get driven to it's potential way faster than the Porsche?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I'll save my grief until I see you tomorrow.

Hopefully the car will start okay and we can get you and your injured baby over to Holberts for a good wallet raping.
Wayne, that was a good one!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Pilng it on???? ME?????

There is no reason to be depressed. You have a beautiful new S4 as a daily driver. The car you don't plan to drive for 3 to 4 months has a dead battery, not a blown engine. Clean the battery compartment up a little and drop in a new battery. Your baby will be good to go next spring!

Last edited by gota911; 10-29-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
...think about it - Phil had his S4 a day or so and it lost it's will to live. His C4S got lonely after he put it away for the winter and it lost it's will to live.

Does this mean that the Audi is smarter than the Porsche as it figured out that it would never get driven to it's potential way faster than the Porsche?
No, that means the Audi is dumber than owl ****! It talked to the Porsche and heard that sad tale of never being driven and wasn't smart enough to figure out that it (the Audi) was the daily driver.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Wayne, that was a good one!
Hey, I know those guys well, they're always asking me to bend over and take it without lube.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

No, that means the Audi is dumber than owl ****! It talked to the Porsche and heard that sad tale of never being driven and wasn't smart enough to figure out that it (the Audi) was the daily driver.
I love it!

Quick Reply: Winter Storage (or Don't Put your Porsche Away for the Winter - part II)